Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

HellCopter posted:

Having read the manga up to the current chapter, nothing creepy happens. Your fears are unfounded.

And I don't see anything wrong with that origin story? I don't remember how early they explain it but she has an in-character reasoning.

TBF his giving her a tracking device without telling her was kind of creepy.
Though she evidently needed it. WTF girl, "Oh, I'll just follow the fairies into the woods", have you never read a goddamn book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

She says to him "but I suppose I can't refuse" and he says "nope" after that.

I honestly cannot understand why people are trying to justify this slavery.

Actually:
"You'll surely become a great mage. That doesn't mean I'll be ordering you around though."
"But I don't have any right to refuse, do I?"
"Well, no. You're free to reconsider, though."

Which is a weird sentence, but reads to me as her saying "I don't have any (legal) right to refuse," and him saying "That's true, but as far as I'm concerned you can."
Also, there's literally no point at which she's tried to leave or suggest that she doesn't want to stay there, nor any point where he's tried to keep her against her will, so *shrugs*

Edit: Also, what would Elias have to do for you to think his behaviour was ethical? I mean, given that he knew she was being sold, what should he have done? And don't just say "set her free", give me some kind of concrete statement as to what that actually entails, in your mind.

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 26, 2017

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Actually he did stop her from leaving to go to the fairy kingdom. now maybe they were going to eat her or something but that's not even what he said to her when he stopped her. He said she's his apprentice like that was all the reason he needed to have to stop her.

Chise hesitates and stops before the portal.
"I can't. I have to go home."
"Why? There's no reason you have to go back to that house."
"No one ever told me that I could be there. But that man told me... Even if I'm just a toy, even if he'll throw me out when he's bored of me, he told me I was family, even if it was just that once. So..."

She wanted to stay. I admit, she wanted to stay largely because she's psychologically damaged and clings desperately to the simple fact that he referred to her as 'family', but even so.

Nitrousoxide posted:

He could 100% set her free and then adopted her. He had the money to do so.

As opposed to what he's done, which is taking off her chains, saying she has the right to reconsider, and calling her family?
Like, your complaint literally seems to boil down to "he didn't take her to a courthouse and get a bunch of papers drawn up".

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

One of the problems after learning how to edit GIFs is that you start to see the difference between 24fps and 8fps, and sometimes you wonder what things look like when they are slowed down given the frames, but on rare occasions you wonder the opposite, and then you stabilize the image, and now you've created a monster good job brain!

"Yes... it's like a lava lamp..."