Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

It feels disorienting watching this show as a non-manga reader. I don't really have a feel for what's going on and Chise doesn't really ask a lot of questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ViggyNash posted:

Welp, there turned out to be about as much complaining about the premise as I was afraid there might be.

I'm not going to ask people to ppl to simply ignore the elephant, but please don't drat the show because of it. There is a lot to love about the story and the art so please give the show a fair chance.

The latest episode had a character gut punch him for being a creep for exactly those reasons, so I think that goes a long way in showing how it will be handled.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Please make a manga thread if you're going to do this.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

What do you mean it doesn't warrant it? If you're going to discuss the manga, there's no reason why you can't do it elsewhere. It's not like the forums are overflowing with so many threads these days that we have to avoid clogging up the place. Not every thread needs to be an effortpost.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nitrousoxide posted:

Having watched episodes 1 and 2 now, the entire time I spent watching this I had a dubious look on my face.

I have to say I don't like this show. Despite people saying that Elias has a very alien view about the world, that doesn't mean I should justify his literal slavery of this girl, anymore then an audience member should be okay with characters being enslaved in a Sci-Fi show by actual aliens. Whether he is nice to her or not doesn't justify the slavery.

I'm sorry, whether he understands what he's doing is wrong or not, every moment he's on screen I want him to die, the goofy moments he has with Chise seem so outlandishly out of touch and tone deaf that they are eyebrow raising.

At what point does anything he's doing seem coercive? She's clearly extremely traumatized and this appears to be a healthier environment than whatever else she would have been sold into. Do you think an ancient creature is going to drop her off at a mental health facility or something? He's clearly functioning as a bodyguard to some degree as well.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nitrousoxide posted:

And still keeps her as a slave.

What is the alternative? Okay, you can leave now and proceed to sell yourself back into slavery?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nitrousoxide posted:

She says to him "but I suppose I can't refuse" and he says "nope" after that.

I honestly cannot understand why people are trying to justify this slavery.

He sure is restricting her freedom to...sell herself back into slavery and apparently be cut up for parts or something.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nitrousoxide posted:

You joke but that would be more honest.

Oh please,. He was doing nothing of the sort. He didn't buy her out of some noble scheme to immediately free her. He talks about how she's not free to resist and says he paid good money for her and wants to see a return.

The nicest slave holder in the world is still a slavery.

Would you let someone go off alone who you know would immediately put themselves in harm's way?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sindai posted:

Sorcererrrrrssss! :argh:

Cats' reaction to Shadow Elias is great.

Were they going after his eyes like laser dots?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Genocyber posted:

This and the next chapter/episode are some of my favorites in the series. Might have something to do with me being a Lovecraft fan.

So far this episode didn't seem lovecraftian in the least to me.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Knorth posted:

Tim was a powerful cat. I'm glad Chise managed to fix it in the end but wow that was rough, poor cats

My cat likes to place her head in the crook of my neck as she sleeps. I might be a little reluctant to do that for awhile.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Does she use magic to keep her dress on?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

cathead posted:

Considering how deliberate this show is about depicting magical/mythical beings, I do think there was a sort of intent to be specific in highlighting her womanly figure as she makes her entrance, since as the Fairy Queen she's definitely an idealized form in that respect.

That and some of the animation staff probably looked at the original design of her dress and were like "how would this actually work" :thunk: and took it as a challenge. :v:

I sort of thought this as well. Mostly because her chest was really saggy, which made me think of her as a fertility figure of sorts.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mokinokaro posted:

Competent and actually seeming hopeful and almost upbeat at points.

Having some sort of purpose can do wonders for depression.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh, right, duh, how could I forget. Akatsuki no Yona deals with immortality real well too. It's also an incredibly good series in general.

Did you just spoil a plot element that wasn't in the first season? Arghhh.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I like the breaks as well. Perhaps that breaks the immersion for some, but I think it's cute.

I'm still having trouble getting a sense of both Elias and Chise's personalities though. Chise says she's selfish, but really she's selfless to the point of self-destruction. Elias says his emotions are just a facade to make himself less alien, but clearly he cares for Chise, or at least behaves that way.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ViggyNash posted:

The comedy breaks are fine on their own and might be good post credit shorts, but they interrupt very serious scenes way too much and thus detract from their emotional weight.

Eh, this show has enough emotional weight as it is. It'd be drowning in its own self-seriousness otherwise.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Cephas posted:

I think it's meant to be evocative of physical abuse, not necessarily something sexual. Elias says he has trouble controlling his body's actions and that's why he's locked himself up, and the moment Chise enters the room he is moments away from attacking her. When she's lying in bed with him slavering over her, she thinks to herself that the reason she's able to handle being in such a situation is because she's "cursed", and it cuts to a flashback of her mother on top of her, strangling her. She's staring up at this death-mask that's salivating at the thought of taking her life and she's like "somehow I'm used to this"

Geeze that was so quick I had to pause it and go back to notice the switch.

superLINUS posted:

So there was a bit in this latest episode that I'm not sure I interpreted correctly (or even that there was anything there to interpret at all)...

When Chise enters Elias's room they are in his bed, and talking. And it switches to him prostrate over her, drooling? And then she wakes up on his bed, alone, and then takes a bath.

Am I utterly wrong in interpreting that as some kind of sexual encounter? I am, aren't I?

I think she was just bathing because he was drooling on her (because he was about to eat her, I think).

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

There wasn't really much to say about this episode. It certainly doesn't hold up as a self-contained segment in any way, but maybe it will come together in the next episode.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Maera Sior posted:

Just caught up on the last three episodes this evening and I have to say that every time Lindel started singing, I was immediately yanked out of the scene. I cannot get over how poor the direction is on this show.

His music has been one of my favorite bits of the show so far, so maybe this just isn't to your personal tastes.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sarrisan posted:

as many times as it takes to knock the depression out of her, stubborn girl.

This is a terrible stance on mental illness.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sarrisan posted:

I agree; I was kinda being sarcastic. I can think of no other reason you'd try to drown someone to convince them they should value their life, though. The fae apparently believe in a real hard-knocks version of therapy.

To her credit though, Shannon did say she'd receive more appropriate treatment in a normal human hospital.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Labes for days posted:

That was the mother goddess pregnant with her next incarnation. She was riding the Horned God. No clue why they don't explain why Elias hides from them; in the manga he tells Chise it's because gods are very unpredictable.

Also I'm so glad Hazel made it into the anime, I know he's only in like six panels but he's so adorable. :kimchi:

Is this lifted from any actual Pagan traditions, or is it a mishmash of various beliefs?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm surprised that Elias would allow Chise to pay the price she did considering his past cautiousness.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

What the hell happened with this week's episode? It was just so...off in every aspect. The tone. The direction. The art. It was a complete mess.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Holy poo poo what an episode! That was really good.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mokinokaro posted:

It's actually passed the manga as of this last episode and next week is indeed the ending.

I have to say they did a great job making Cartophilus a creepy villain.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That was...uh...weird. I liked most of it, I think?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Labes for days posted:

Mostly I just didn't get why Ashen Eye was there. If that was explained I missed it, other than just generally that character being a poo poo.

He was manipulating the whole situation somehow, possibly to capture Chise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Annointed posted:

The wedding scene was adorable and I'm glad that Joseph got a brief respite.

It was pretty messed up coming right off of Elias trying to sacrifice her friend and not understanding why that was a bad idea.