Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I thought the source of this was a shoujo, so all of that I just shrugged off like meh w/e.

It does feel like more will be explained later, and would have been too much for 1 intro episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean, Yona of the dawn is a shojo. You shouldn't write off good series just because of the genre they publish in.

You misread me, I'm not shrugging off the series because it's a shoujo, I'm shrugged off the portions of the premise that I personally found questionable because I thought this was a shoujo and thus I thought I was not part of the intended/target demographic.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

dogsicle posted:

this ep felt a lot better, though the music and that montage were odd. having just skimmed over the manga again, i really like how the anime cleaned up angelica, simon, and human elias' designs. they look really nice here!

I almost thought I was listening to a shittyflute song during that montage. Like the thought briefly passed through my head but I suppressed it so I could finish the episode peacefully.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

It feels disorienting watching this show as a non-manga reader. I don't really have a feel for what's going on and Chise doesn't really ask a lot of questions.

I actually really enjoy this: when shows treat their audience like notidiots and don't try to handhold me though repetitive and flat exposition, and instead just be like "this is the world, here is how it is, if it's important it will be explained exactly when it has to be, come along for the ride". This show is doing this well imo.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I mean the recommendation in the OP is to not watch the OVAs yet, so, thanks for that.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Jackard posted:

Wait you're not supposed to watch the prologue? What kind of sense does that make?

:psyduck:

Yea, anime is weird like that. In this case the OST was service for the manga readers, but presents things "out of order" for anime watchers.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

One of the problems after learning how to edit GIFs is that you start to see the difference between 24fps and 8fps, and sometimes you wonder what things look like when they are slowed down given the frames, but on rare occasions you wonder the opposite, and then you stabilize the image, and now you've created a monster good job brain!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Daedalus1134 posted:

What are you using for image stabilization? And/or interpolation too maybe?

Small jobs: brute force in Photoshop. Large jobs: edit video file in NLE software of choice then gif it afterwards.

I am not a believer in anime interpolation, so none of that.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

3rding the pro-chibi breaks. This show would be waaay too full of itself without them.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Just how many more times will this show lean on Chise getting pushed into water as a story device?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Just caught up and oh boy have these last few episodes been quite the rush, for better and worse. I've really enjoyed this latest arc's story and the cliffhangers, but episode 23 could have used a few more editing passes to tighten up the storyboard.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

where the red fern gropes posted:

chise got her eye back? so shouldn't she die without carto's eye?

Eventually she will, yes, as the Carto Eyeball Spirit explained, it presumably stuck around in Chise's body after the physical eyeball was removed and came to an agreement with the Dragon Curse Arm to act as a mediator to give Chise a coincidentally normalish human lifespan but ultimately promise to let her life succumb to the curse at a later time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

One neat detail I liked: After Chise woke up the magic-sponge teddy bear that previously would grow a handful of flowers looked like a flower bed