Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I ordered the soundtrack for this show from Japan and it's probably one of the best purchases I've made this year. Such a pretty soundtrack. Sadly while it has Titania's theme (one of my favorites), it seems to be missing Lindel's song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I enjoyed the new episode, but I really wish we'd gotten to see more of Elias' creepy goat friend. That whole montage felt like it was probably stuff from the manga that they decided not to spend more time on for whatever reason.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I just recently started buying volumes of the manga and I'm glad I did. The art as expected is beautiful, and it gives a few more extra tidbits of information. It's sounding like as I get further that there are going to be more chunks that were omitted from the anime?

I also prefer how the manga refers to sorcerers as alchemists instead. It seems like a more fitting description of what they do.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Labes for days posted:

Is anyone else still reading the manga? Chapter 45 is finally out.

I am. For the most part it seems like the anime followed it pretty faithfully, except for small details in the very last bit and some additional story after that.

For those curious, instead of a white dress similar in feel to a wedding dress, Chise's wearing a really pretty looking black dress that's stated to be one Stella was gifted that ended up being too big for her. The rings are so that they know if something bad happens to each other, and it really wasn't intended on Chise's part to be an engagement ring. It follows that up with Chise and Elias enrolling in the college, so that seems like where the story will be heading next.

Who knows how long until we get another season of this show, if ever.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I checked like a month and a half ago and it didn't seem like new chapters had been released, but now we're up to Chapter 49.

A bunch of new characters being introduced in this arc, I wonder how many of them are going to remain prominent. Alice remains one of the coolest characters.

DisDisDis posted:

manga q what question did joseph ask chise in 46?

I can't figure this out either, it may have been asked offscreen.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Chapter 50

We finally get some more Silky! I was wondering how focused this arc would be on the school, I'm glad we're getting some countryside moments as well. They're what I associate Magus Bride with the most. Does anyone have any idea what the nun could be?

Ashen Eye needs to buzz off.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I do wonder if Stella having all this repeated exposure to the magical world will eventually awaken something in her.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Are there still a number of people interested in this? I've been working on a new thread focusing on the manga that I was going to post once the next chapter is translated, but this thread has been pretty slow and I'm not sure how much of that is due to this thread being for the now over anime and how much of it is due to general disinterest.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
This was a nice treat to stumble across. Here's an animated promotion for the current ongoing arc in the manga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id72FaGlBAw

I can't read/understand Japanese but as far as I know this is -just- a promotion for the manga, nothing about a new season or anything.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I loved this chapter.

When I first started Magus Bride I was wary of the relationship between Chise and Elias, but Yamazaki's done such a good job portraying them on such equal ground that it doesn't really bother me at all anymore. And they're so great together that basically an entire chapter of them trying to figure out their relationship is wonderful to read.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I just appreciate that Yamazaki has been able to craft a hidden magical world that doesn't make me feel like almost everyone involved in that world is a blithering moron.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Labes for days posted:

Honest to god I can’t keep track of all these new characters and it’s frustrating.

Very well. I used this as an excuse to make an up to date character chart. I can't vouch for its quality, I've never made one before, but I think it does a good enough job.

I excluded Chise, Elias and Ruth as they should be easy enough to know, as well as any peripheral characters that don't seem to have any obvious ties to the college plot.

I'm also pretty sure that Lian, Veronica, Lucy and Philomela are 2nd years like Chise, and that April and May are 1st years, but as far as I could see the manga never confirms this.

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 2, 2019

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Chapter 60: https://mangadex.org/chapter/723920

I'm not comfortable with how comfortable Stella is getting with Ashen Eye. You don't want to let your guard down around even the most diminutive neighbors, and here Stella is just leaning on this ancient force that was capable of overpowering even Elias.

Chise definitely still has a few of her worse tendencies. She shouldn't be blaming herself for Elias being too clingy. He's too clingy.

Also here's a bit of extra lore on the Each Uisge: An Each Uisge is pronounced ech-ooshkya, and might be the most dangerous of the water horses. It's skin is said to be adhesive, making it more difficult to escape once you mount it. Its other forms are a giant bird and a handsome man.

There's one story where its body actually grows longer to accommodate all of the children on its back.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Brought To You By posted:

You are not alone, it's unnerving seeing Stella just casually reclining on Ashen Eye's head. It's like a kid keeping a sentient pet nuke with all the launch codes enabled as a pet

I think it's relevant that we led with a waterhorse from scottish mythology because I think the creature from the end of the chapter is supposed to be a Nuckelavee which is the only centaur-like figure I could find in Celtic lore which springs from searching for more on waterhorses in Scottland. Which bodes ill because it's supposedly one of the nastier spirits out there.

I think you're right about this creature's identity. I looked it up in my faerie book and one story about it mentions that it also has one eye.

Labes for days posted:

Stella has kind of been a foil to Chise in that respect since she first showed up, hasn’t she?

If it wasn’t for Elias’ protective influence Chise would have gotten preyed on by Ashen Eye when they gave her the shifter skin. Stella has no one to protect her from the pact Ashen Eye forced her into, so I imagine part of why she is treating this genuinely terrifying faerie so flippantly is part of that. Chise has no idea and I imagine part of the pact requires Stella not to speak of it. Poor Stella.

Ashen Eye is gonna be the Big Bad of this series, I just know it. I want to see them out of that cloak because I have a hard time conceptualizing of how the humanoid and scorpion parts fit together. I do hope we get more background on Elias soon though.

He's the most likely suspect to play that role for sure. Stella's in a really really sticky situation and I'm not sure how she's going to get out of it.

Captain Invictus posted:

Elias is entirely justified in being as clingy as he is because Chise is a disaster magnet

While this is true, I still don't think Chise should blame herself. But maybe blaming Elias was the wrong take too.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Brought To You By posted:

Could I get a title? I'm sorely lacking on reference books for mythology and folklore.

"An Encyclopedia of Faeries", by Katharine Briggs. It's a very good book that goes over not just loads of faeries, but also stories, concepts, places, and people.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I have resurrected this thread with some good news. We're not getting a new season, but we are getting a three part original OAD.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/03/09-1/the-ancient-magus-bride-anime-to-conjure-up-original-3-part-oad-series

They also made a promotional video for the series. The first half is a recap of season 1, while the second half shows a bunch of animated scenes from the school arc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZi6OzMNnYk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Sindai posted:

I'm not enjoying the school arc but that's mostly because there are so many new supporting characters and the manga stopped getting translated for a few months so I forgot practically everything about them. It would probably be much improved in anime form.

If you search my post history in this thread I made a character chart for the school arc a while back. Dunno how out of date it is now but it's something.