Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Seems like they could have excised slavery entirely and still achieved what it was going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
There are multitudes of other ways of showing a character is self destructive my dude.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Spiritus Nox posted:

Periodic reminder that Depiction Is Not Necessarily Endorsement

Does the story engage with the topic of institutionalised slavery or human trafficking beyond cheap shock value? Because from what has been said in the thread it seems doubtful.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 12, 2017

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Good. Will it occur within the span of the show?

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Stay with me on this one: Maybe I've seen enough things that have handled this topic poorly that I have little patience for waffling. Media does not exist in a vacuum.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Hmm bit of a shame it takes that long. I hope it runs for the full 26 then. Thanks for elaborating.

E:I'd be perfectly fine with the sentiment above, but the fact one of the main characters is subject to slavery/human trafficking in the first episode kinda hangs over the show a bit.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 12, 2017

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
It's a pretty heavy real world thing to bring up in a fantasy show about a young woman and a giant skeleton man learning to be friends.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
E: Ah that was a longwinded and lovely response. I don't think introducing slavery was particularly necessary esp in the first episode, but I do hope it doesn't leave those elements hanging in an otherwise interesting show going by the first episode and the information presented in this thread. Mea Culpa.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 13, 2017

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I think my objection lies with the broader institution and Elias' complicity not really being developed after the opening, but it'll get there eventually I suppose.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
:cripes:

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
those things aren't the same at all lol

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I'm actually talking about the show opening up with institutionalized slavery, having one character partake in it in order to purchase the other lead and it not getting developed in the episode? That's why I said it seemed like you could excise slavery entirely.

E: If that hasn't been clear all this time then holy poo poo I'm really sorry for waffling about :(

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I don't think I'm gonna see eye to eye with some people on that first ep but I did really enjoy the second.