Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Everyone should watch the OVA, it's really well done and helps contextualize Chise's mindset at the beginning of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Clarste posted:

This only changes the context slightly, but I thought it was clear that she wasn't being sold as a slave, but as a collector 's item. An exotic pet. No one was expecting to get actual work out of her, they just wanted to own a rare and valuable sleigh beggy.

That's still pretty much a slave though? I mean does it really matter what she was intended to do if she was still in bondage?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Could people who have read the manga stop with the spoilers? Especially the ones without spoiler tags? :sigh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Mr. Fowl posted:

I may have cried a little watching Episode 3.

This part with the dragons and what's coming up next were what really sold me on the manga.

Yeah, especially the part where the old dragon tells Chise that the living should not envy the dead. :smith:

Really good episode, but yeah, I just want Chise to be happy. :smith:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

where the red fern gropes posted:

this is going for 26 eps right

That is what I have heard, yes.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BTW Ruth is a meaningful name, it means compassion and is the root of the word "Ruthless".

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I will say that I thought the direction wasn’t great this episode. The choreography was sloppy, and the tonal shifts were very oddly-placed. It kind of felt like they were copying a bunch of manga panels without looking at how they felt as a unified whole.

Yeah, I had the same experience, the little chibi moments felt out of place considering how serious everything else was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Some earlier posters hit the nail on the head I think by saying it's too faithful of an adaptation. The pacing/order of scenes and especially the shifts between detailed and chibi style are done just as they are in the manga, which doesn't work as well in an animated medium.

Yeah, this. Even though I have not read the manga the little breaks into chibi style actually feel like panel breaks in a manga, just not in a good way. :(