Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The OVA is a story about Chise's childhood and how incredibly lovely it was. It basically exists to show exactly how deep her depression went. Nothing good ever lasted long for young Chise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I mean, this is talking about things to come but: it comes up plot-wise later, and you'd have to do some re-writing of Elias' and Chise's relationship if you did. For the plot of The Ancient Magus' Bride, you actually could not have the same story without starting it off like it does.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Blank Construct posted:

Does the story engage with the topic of institutionalised slavery or human trafficking beyond cheap shock value? Because from what has been said in the thread it seems doubtful.

I literally just said it does, yes.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I don't even know how long this is gonna be, whether it's 13 or 26 episodes or whatever. If it's 24-26 then probably? If it's only 13 then the only thing that'll come up is exactly what Chise is to Elias, which is a complicated thing.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Do adoptive parents typically pay money for their future bride and worker for life?

I'm gonna be honest here: you're making assumptions based on incomplete knowledge. If you're not going to keep watching, fine, whatever, that's your prerogative, but you're not going to get anyone else to stop because you're not making a great revelation that everyone who consumes Ancient Magus' Bride in any form and enjoys it is clearly 100% okay with slavery.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
The long-and-short of it is that magic basically works off of metaphor, and through a metaphor describing the cycle of life of dandelions had the Ariel (A wind fae,) along with her ability to channel the magic basically use "the wind" as a guide for them to the afterlife and move on.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
What if the solution to Wizard... .... Is a gun??????

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
The thing is that things like that work far better in a manga format, which while I think this is a pretty solid adaptation overall, I think that the manga's the better way to experience Ancient Magus' Bride so far.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
So like, this adaptation is visually gorgeous, the audio is incredibly good, and the base material is fantastic and I love it. After my previous musing and this episode I got to thinking like

There's just something off. The timing of things, the slavish adherence to the base material like with the goofs (which work far better in manga form than they do animated here,) and the overall direction just seems... weirdly sub-par? Most things they get completely spot on but it doesn't completely hit the mark. It's the weirdest problem I've ever had with an adaptation because I can't quite put my finger on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
It's like 1 to 1. It pretty much never diverges even from panel layout, just sometimes composited in the opposite direction.