Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Periodic reminder that Depiction Is Not Necessarily Endorsement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Blank Construct posted:

Does the story engage with the topic of institutionalised slavery or human trafficking beyond cheap shock value? Because from what has been said in the thread it seems doubtful.

I don't know because I've only watched the first episode, but I am prepared to give an anticipated show more than ~25 minutes to make its case

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe

stay with me on this one

you should watch the show

before deciding whether or not the show is good or naming the precise ways in which it is or is not good

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Blank Construct posted:

It's a pretty heavy real world thing to bring up in a fantasy show about a young woman and a giant skeleton man learning to be friends.

Maybe the whole reason the woman/skeleton friendship is powerful is because of the heavy poo poo that hangs over the path she took to reach that point

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The second episode was pretty good, although I'm still baffled at how bad the OP is. The song's nice but the visuals aren't even trying to choreograph around it at all.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Didn't Elias technically set her free in the first episode? Broke her chains, said "I'd like you to be my apprentice/bride, but you're welcome to leave if you want?" or something like that? I seem to remember it that way.

I mean it's still a ~problematic~ dynamic, but I got the impression that Elias genuinely wasn't trying to be coercive.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

this is really a dark story where ultimately (and I haven't read the manga so I'm assuming here) Chisa remains a slave for the rest of her days.

Maybe

before you decide what a show is saying

you should let it actually finish saying its piece

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Really loved this episode. Aside from some weirdly timed comedic SD bits, this was a home run from start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

These curses don't go halfway.