Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Is the manga pacing this weird? It feels off within the scenes as well as going between them.

The OP really is quite bad, the visuals don't match the feel of the music and there no coherency to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Poil posted:

I don't like when shows aren't making it clear that something is in a flashback.

Also Chise is right, he does look fake. :v:

"This is what humans look like, right?"

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Homura and Sickle posted:

i watched the ova before watching the series and it improved watching the series and contextualized it for me, which was probably the intent. i have not read the manga. all it spoils is there is an anime boy/dog named ruth

Same. I actually found it very good for giving a look inside Chise's head.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Can someone explain how the magic worked at the end of the episode? I'm not sure what was going on.
Also, did those sorcerers show up and then do nothing? It makes me think the mangaka is very bad at exposition.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, I had the same experience, the little chibi moments felt out of place considering how serious everything else was.

The whole series has been like this, but this episode was definitely worse than the usual. I don't know anything done by director before this, but I'd argue he's definitely the wrong choice for the show.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Just caught up on the last three episodes this evening and I have to say that every time Lindel started singing, I was immediately yanked out of the scene. I cannot get over how poor the direction is on this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Gives me FMAB flashbacks, where it's not really any better than the source but the source alone makes it good and enjoyable if awkward at points.

I didn't find FMAB to have the awkward pacing or the tonal whiplash that this does, but I assume your point is that FMAB was a similar minimalist adaptation, so I'm going to put that down to the source material itself.