Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Having lived a life filled with despair, 15-year old Chise Hattori sells herself into slavery in the hopes of finding a home. But after a chance encounter with the mage Elias Ainsworth she finds much more than that, becoming both his apprentice and potential future-bride, and encounters myriad magical entities, both fantastic and dangerous.

The manga has some really gorgeous artwork:

And the currently-airing anime, by Wit Studio (Attack on Titan, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress), looks to be doing a fantastic job of adapting that:

Main Cast

Chise Hattori (CV: Atsumi Tanezaki)
The protagonist. As a "Slay Vega" she naturally attracts beings of fantastical origin and this has led her to suffer much in her young life. Fairly quiet but can be surprisingly forceful.

Elias Ainsworth (CV: Ryouta Takeuchi)
The...love interest? Purchases Chise at a slave auction and promises to make her his apprentice and future bride. Has an ominous appearance but can be quite childish at times.

Silky (CV: Aya Endou)
The caretaker of Elias' estate. A fae creature that does housework in exchange for gifts.

The manga is officially localized by Seven Seas Entertainment and is available on Amazon as well as other retailers.

The anime is currently airing and is available for streaming on Crunchyroll. (There are also three prequel OVAs available. They have some light context/character spoilers for later on but if you're feeling iffy in the show's premise they may bring you around.)

Spoiler Policy
Since the manga is still on-going please spoiler tag anything not yet shown in the anime.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that in the OP. I can't stand that creepy exploitative stuff and thankfully this property has none of it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So crunchyroll has like 3 episodes named Part 1-3 listed before episode 1. Are those a prequel/required viewing or am I good just start the new stuff?

Those are prequel OVAs and you don't need to watch them to understand the series proper. They're meant to be watched with context from the main series.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

I thought the source of this was a shoujo, so all of that I just shrugged off like meh w/e.

I believe the manga runs in a shounen magazine so the target demographic is boys/young men. But it does feel more shoujo-ey.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Labes for days posted:

Is there a manga thread for this series? Because I've done a lot of scrolling and see nothing. I figured it was for the series as a whole.

Since the series is not that popular I'd figured this thread would work for both. But given some people's inability to properly spoiler tag manga stuff that may not have been the best idea...

If you can use spoiler tags feel free to discuss the manga here.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

I could see this show having an OP that changes as the plot goes on to avoid spoilers.

That's unlikely cause the current OP is referencing stuff that'll be happening for the next 10-or-so episodes. I've seen mention this show might be 2-cour? In which case we'd probably get a new OP for that, but otherwise we're probably stuck with this one. I like the song but the visuals do leave a bit to be desired.

Maera Sior posted:

Is the manga pacing this weird? It feels off within the scenes as well as going between them.

If my memory can be trusted the first two episodes have been rather faithful adaptations of the first two chapters. Which would be part of the issue, not making enough changes to work now that it's animated.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Labes for days posted:

Chapter 41 is out. As much as I love body horror this Cartaphilius poo poo is a little much for me. :stonk:

Yeah I just read that chapter and that was pretty squick. Wonder if Joseph's going to go through with the arm trade or if Elias will show up beforehand.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

khy posted:

Why is Ruth not in the OP?

He's in the first three episodes (Those awaiting a star) and plays a much, much larger role in the story than Silky.

Cause it's kind of spoilery and I figured most people wouldn't have read the manga beforehand.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

So it's okay if you're giving the slave a better life than they had before? Start picking the homeless up of the street and selling them to eccentric millionaires.

This comparison might be apt if we had thousand year old inhuman mages walking the Earth but uh...we don't, so it's kind of silly.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

This and the next chapter/episode are some of my favorites in the series. Might have something to do with me being a Lovecraft fan.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

So far this episode didn't seem lovecraftian in the least to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cats_of_Ulthar

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lmao they focused extra hard on Titania's breasts compared to the manga.

I really like the music during that scene. With the melancholic tone it reminded me a heck of a lot of the Nier soundtracks, which was pretty fitting.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's this guy, but with more magic rear end in a top hat.

I've never bothered reading the Wikipedia article before, but

quote:

A variant of the Wandering Jew legend is recorded in the Flores Historiarum by Roger of Wendover around the year 1228.[15][16][17] An Armenian archbishop, then visiting England, was asked by the monks of St Albans Abbey about the celebrated Joseph of Arimathea, who had spoken to Jesus, and was reported to be still alive. The archbishop answered that he had himself seen such a man in Armenia, and that his name was Cartaphilus, a Jewish shoemaker, who, when Jesus stopped for a second to rest while carrying his cross, hit him, and told him "Go on quicker, Jesus! Go on quicker! Why dost Thou loiter?", to which Jesus, "with a stern countenance", is said to have replied: "I shall stand and rest, but thou shalt go on till the last day." The Armenian bishop also reported that Cartaphilus had since converted to Christianity and spent his wandering days proselytizing and leading a hermit's life.

just cracks me up. "With a stern countenance," indeed.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

So like, this adaptation is visually gorgeous, the audio is incredibly good, and the base material is fantastic and I love it. After my previous musing and this episode I got to thinking like

There's just something off. The timing of things, the slavish adherence to the base material like with the goofs (which work far better in manga form than they do animated here,) and the overall direction just seems... weirdly sub-par? Most things they get completely spot on but it doesn't completely hit the mark. It's the weirdest problem I've ever had with an adaptation because I can't quite put my finger on it.

Some earlier posters hit the nail on the head I think by saying it's too faithful of an adaptation. The pacing/order of scenes and especially the shifts between detailed and chibi style are done just as they are in the manga, which doesn't work as well in an animated medium.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Yeah, I've been catching up and enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would.

Though, I know Japan likes random biblical references with no deeper meaning, but the Wandering Jew was kind of a weird one.

It's part of the show doing a "treating all myths/religion/folklore as true" thing. You got Japanese Yokai, Celtic faeries, English spirits, and all other sorts of creatures wandering the world. In a world with real magic, Jesus Christ got up to some pretty crazy poo poo.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

God, those cotton flies are probably the most adorable magical creature in the show. I forgot that that part was where it was, and it put a huge grin on my face when it started.

Also, going by the brief scene preview at the end of the episode, it looks like the second cour is adapting farther ahead than I expected. It's not too surprising now that I think about it, though, given we're already through about 40% of the already existing chapters.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Reinanigans posted:

Any word on a second season?

This season is 2 cour, 24 episodes. I think it comes back next week?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's a beacon, and by looking through it you can dispel glamours and illusions.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

OddObserver posted:

The manga may be at a worse cliffhanger now.

Yeah with there being only three episode left I'm especially worried where the anime's going to leave off... depending on how the next chapter goes, if they adapt everything remaining so far and then get input from Yamazaki as to how things go next, it could be a decent place to end things off... it could also easily be terrible and unsatisfying. :\

Also one thing about the previous episode I didn't like was they adapted it slightly differently to how it was in the manga. These two pages in particular (I suppose they might move this stuff to one of the future episodes so potential spoilers I guess).

https://i.imgur.com/LQYEl8k.png
https://i.imgur.com/gi3Jumj.png

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sindai posted:

In this episode, Joseph realizes he hosed up.

Next episode passes the manga, very curious to see how it handles that considering how faithful it's been until now.

Not quite. It still has to cover stuff with Elias it skipped over (I think, I forget the ordering in the manga but I'm pretty sure we see more of what he's up to before the stuff that was in this episode), as well as what was in the most recent chapter. So that'll probably be next episode, and then the last will hopefully have been corroborated with Yamazaki so as to not be poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

It's actually passed the manga as of this last episode and next week is indeed the ending.

Technically still behind. The latest chapter ends literally one page's worth of content after the episode. Otherwise, aside from adapting more speedily/rushing some things, it's been faithful so I can't imagine it'll be all that much different than w/e ends up happening in the manga. Now whether or not that will make a satisfying ending, who the gently caress knows.