Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, his thought-process is basically as follows:

1. I want to be more human.
2. Humans fall in love and get married.
3. To be married, I need a human female as a bride.
4. I have purchased a human female.
5. Oh poo poo I have no idea what the next step is supposed to be.

The rest of the story proceeds from there.

This reminds me of the old profit meme except that he has no idea what he was accomplishing or if he even did it.

Hargrimm posted:

I really don't like the occasional chibification of Elias's awesome skull, it kind of undercuts the whole deadpan, doesn't-know-he's-being-strange effect of those moments and clashes with the beauty of everything else on screen.

I'm usually that guy but in this case I actually liked its inclusion. It's a good reminder that this is supposed to be a fairly lighthearted story. In a more meta sense, I think it's a good way to get people to calm down about the premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Welp, there turned out to be about as much complaining about the premise as I was afraid there might be.

I'm not going to ask people to ppl to simply ignore the elephant, but please don't drat the show because of it. There is a lot to love about the story and the art so please give the show a fair chance.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Please make a manga thread if you're going to do this.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Minor now-and-then stuff related to aired material is fine.

Discussing a new manga chapter is manga thread stuff.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I so see Nitrua's point, to an extent. Elias did buy her out of slavery and did force her - not harshly, but it was forceful - to do what he asks of her. That spectre does hang over their relationship.

But at the same time, this is the healthiest relationship she has ever had. Nitrus keeps trying to make a distinction between adoption and slavery, but in this case the only difference is paperwork and legal status. That assumes that the courts would even let Elias adopt her instead of throwing her in foster care due to her mental condition, which would likely return her to the mental hell that made her enslave herself. She had effectively been bought out of slavery.

So lets pretend adoption isn't an option here. What exactly are you asking of Elias, Nitrus? Did you want him to break her chains and tell her she's free to go? If so, then what? Best case scenario, Chise clings to him as the nicest person she's cone in contact with, but also he's the only person she knows that could explain her ability to see strange creatures. Its a slightly better relationship dynamic that also tells a different story.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Alder posted:

Sorry, google told me immortality would be cool.

Immortality is only cool if you have the option of offing yourself. Joseph's immortality is obviously pretty hellish if he's perpetually in pain, but the Casshern Sins kind of immortality would still really suck too - he can feel the pain of physical damage, but will always heal back to 100%, and is unable to die.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The comedy breaks are fine on their own and might be good post credit shorts, but they interrupt very serious scenes way too much and thus detract from their emotional weight.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm starting to wish the show would move a little faster, though it may just be that I'm getting bored by these backstory episodes.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

Just caught up on the last three episodes this evening and I have to say that every time Lindel started singing, I was immediately yanked out of the scene. I cannot get over how poor the direction is on this show.

I can agree with this. There was some reeeeeeally wonky pacing in that last episode. Almost ruined the phoenix scene for me.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Hated that new op but a nice episode.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sarrisan posted:

my problem with Lindel's song is that it just doesn't fit. all the other music in this show is either ethereal or fantastically melodic; next to some of the brilliant piano jingles, his song was just very... vanilla. Not really bad, but hella boring.

I think 'safe' is the word your looking for, because that seems to describe a whole lot of this show. As if they just added more frames to the manga and added color and music. For the most part it's good, but doesn't feel all that special beyond the strength of the manga content.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think it works for FMAB because it's a very plot-oriented show. Same with Monster.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That was a beautiful episode. I hope everything is ok though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Aw, what a wonderful episode.