Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this ep felt a lot better, though the music and that montage were odd. having just skimmed over the manga again, i really like how the anime cleaned up angelica, simon, and human elias' designs. they look really nice here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Genocyber posted:

That's unlikely cause the current OP is referencing stuff that'll be happening for the next 10-or-so episodes. I've seen mention this show might be 2-cour? In which case we'd probably get a new OP for that, but otherwise we're probably stuck with this one. I like the song but the visuals do leave a bit to be desired.

If my memory can be trusted the first two episodes have been rather faithful adaptations of the first two chapters. Which would be part of the issue, not making enough changes to work now that it's animated.

the show is set for 24 episodes so yeah, 2 cour. this OP seems like the sort of thing you slap in for the first handful of eps while you work on a real one, but there have been shows that never move past that point (e.g. G-Reco).

the show so far is pretty much 1:1 to the manga. some minor dialogue changes/removals this ep, and instead of having Angelica mention fine-tuning Chise's tools, they just immediately cut into that montage. that's the part that stands out most to me as awkward pacing, though the end of this episode also adapted the beginning of a separate chapter.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

I almost thought I was listening to a shittyflute song during that montage. Like the thought briefly passed through my head but I suppressed it so I could finish the episode peacefully.

yeah some of the instruments stuck out in a way i disliked. the more intense scary stuff this episode with piano and horns seemed overdone to the point of being a parody of typical scary music. there's also the bit right near the start where it cycled through like three different tracks, each playing for just a handful of seconds and conveying totally disparate tones. i do like the goofy flute they used for Angelica's daughter, that will probably get some good mileage for lighter bits.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Moltrey posted:

This second ep was real good! The pacing in the last two minutes was buckwild tho, I thought we just gonna have a chill time talking to people today.

I'll probably check out the manga since I'm real curious what kinda stories this wants to tell. Big bummer there only seems to be 40 chapters tho

iirc they're longer than your average chapter. regardless, a ton of stuff is always happening either in a plot or character/worldbuilding sense, so you get a lot out of the few chapters there are. it's a really really really great comic.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if the majority of posters in the thread don't want to be dodging spoiler blocks, I'm sure that would be accommodated. this definitely seems like a case where I'd prefer the manga get a separate thread or be discussed in an existing manga genre thread

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

I may have cried a little watching Episode 3.

This part with the dragons and what's coming up next were what really sold me on the manga.

yeah, this upcoming cat arc is when i got really into the manga. incredibly hyped for the next couple weeks.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Elias should return her to the slave store

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this seems in bad faith and you should probably gently caress off

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the slavery stuff sets up the story and then promptly creases to be relevant or referenced in regards to Elias and Chise's relationship

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

like i said before, the slavery stuff falls off pretty hard and fast and elias/chise develop a relationship that is more balanced, with the hosed up stuff then coming from their individual mental states/experiences instead of Slavery. if anyone in this thread had legitimate complaints it was BlankConstruct taking issue with the use of slavery that has no follow-up, not the dude who came in fists flying and accusing people itt of loving slavery.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

instead of erasing them, chise blew their souls into the afterlife or equivalent, with the cat king guiding them. also the next episode should have some more stuff with the sorcerers but yeah they basically show up to steal the corruption/poo poo talk elias and fail. it's just a small introduction for renfred and alice, and how sorcerers relate to the fae.

i feel like even the fan tl of the manga better expresses the magic than the subs did, no idea if its due to tl or the anime script though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i always got the impression from the manga that the cat king was necessary in guiding them, but on a reread it seems like chise handles it all and the cat king just isn't very prominent in the rest of the chapter.