Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Chapter 51
Simon had a more disturbing background than I would have guessed. Imagine having a completely mundane aspect of your life be forever cursed to hurt those around you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Chapter 54
A couple of things seem to be coming to a head, we got a bit more of what Zoey's deal is seeing that she's got the whole Medusa thing going on for her. Elias once again has no social tact when it comes to asking about human things.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
First impressions can be hard sometimes. Especially when you have a head full of snakes and a complex about it.
Looks like Zoey is finally joining the motley crew Chise is gathering. I love how standoffish he got over being born from an egg :colbert:
Philomela on the other hand has had a confrontation a long time coming. I'm pretty sure she was the shadowy whisp that eavesdropped on Zoey in the infirmary as well as being the person stalking Chise. So a proper springboard into the whole Veronica and wizard family stuff

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 2, 2019

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Elias to me read as the typical shoujo secondary love interest, that really possessive guy who doesn't respect personal boundaries and borderline if not outright stalks the heroine through her life and situations. Except Elias has far better writing behind him as well as a far better explanation for his behavior. So now that we've arrived at this juncture where he's been rebuffed enough to actually start to understand his own humanity and feelings it feels pretty good for those two. I never really thought about the difference between the titles these characters used for each other and their actual desires so having it painted out for me helped me clear my mind because I thought that Alice was romantically interested in Renfred given the last chapters cliffhanger. And it's kind of funny that for once Renfred is worse at dealing with people than Elias.

Captain Invictus posted:

there's a new chapter.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/650740

I just want to talk a little about how much I love this page in particular and the skill of the author in depicting Elias, a character who has an unmoving bestial skull for a head, as having varying emotions(chibi form notwithstanding) despite the bones never changing shape. It's all in how they look at him, what angle he's at, that gives the perception of a smile or frown. It's really, really good, and this page in particular makes it more obvious than normal.

Yeah, that's really masterful to be able to give a static face a lot of emotions just through positioning and lighting.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The politics of the wizard bloodlines, coupled with unique bloodlines like Gorgons, people with specific dispositions like Chise being a twice cursed Slay Vega, and Alice having a rare circumstance of being contracted with a fey. All of this makes the school far more compelling than Hogwarts just having 4 houses and only using 2 of them.

It's not terribly complex but the monthly releases do mean I have to re-read chunks of the current arc. I'd forgotten that one of the wizard bloodlines are named after St. George

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Thanks for the reminder, didn't know there was a new chapter. Professor Ocean is a cool dude but :stare: at that origin story.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Viridiant posted:

Chapter 60: https://mangadex.org/chapter/723920

I'm not comfortable with how comfortable Stella is getting with Ashen Eye. You don't want to let your guard down around even the most diminutive neighbors, and here Stella is just leaning on this ancient force that was capable of overpowering even Elias.

Chise definitely still has a few of her worse tendencies. She shouldn't be blaming herself for Elias being too clingy. He's too clingy.

You are not alone, it's unnerving seeing Stella just casually reclining on Ashen Eye's head. It's like a kid keeping a sentient pet nuke with all the launch codes enabled as a pet

quote:

Also here's a bit of extra lore on the Each Uisge: An Each Uisge is pronounced ech-ooshkya, and might be the most dangerous of the water horses. It's skin is said to be adhesive, making it more difficult to escape once you mount it. Its other forms are a giant bird and a handsome man.

There's one story where its body actually grows longer to accommodate all of the children on its back.
I think it's relevant that we led with a waterhorse from scottish mythology because I think the creature from the end of the chapter is supposed to be a Nuckelavee which is the only centaur-like figure I could find in Celtic lore which springs from searching for more on waterhorses in Scottland. Which bodes ill because it's supposedly one of the nastier spirits out there.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Viridiant posted:

I think you're right about this creature's identity. I looked it up in my faerie book and one story about it mentions that it also has one eye.
Could I get a title? I'm sorely lacking on reference books for mythology and folklore.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's dangerous to go alone Take this
Chise just can't catch a break with all these spirits, faeries, and curses can she?

Viridiant posted:

"An Encyclopedia of Faeries", by Katharine Briggs. It's a very good book that goes over not just loads of faeries, but also stories, concepts, places, and people.
I've had a chance to look through this (yay public libraries) and it's an amazing resource. A literal dictionary of creatures and very applicable for this series. Thanks. The one thing that had confused me about the Nukaleevee was that the position of the human portion seems to be placed towards the middle of the creature as if it's riding on a horse. But everything else lined up in the manga so it's nice to be able to suss things out purely because the art gives you the right information regardless of some differences.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Welp, a bump for an old chapter. In which Elias is well on his way to making a friend. RIP

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Bumping with an announcement that Yamazaki Kore is releasing a new manga next year.
https://twitter.com/magus_bride/status/1304038803049332738

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The sudden wave of scanlations helps, might have to pick up the official TL for volume 14 when it drops. Hogwarts arc is fine in my book, it's just slow for a while as the new cast has to get broken in.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Yeah sorry I had a lot going on in my life (kinda still do) and Literally Hogwarts wasn't keeping my interest at all so when something had to go to keep my mental ship afloat it was this. Hope the new translations are good; a large part of the reason I started this in the first place was because the previous group's quality was godawful.

New TLs seem fine overall but it's not an understatement to say that your translations are what got me into this series. Thanks for your work.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Chapter 76
The last chapter had some of the students undergoing a "Game of Courage" because they are all a bunch of english welps that have never done it before. I think it was a success overall and it's nice to know that even in a world where magic, monsters, and myths are actually real. There's still a place for killer sharks in places they don't belong.

I'm also seconding 'Mairimashita! Iruma-kun' if anyone is looking for magical school shenanigans. That series is incredibly good.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The most recent chapter is funny in a dark way because one person, one werewolf mother, one curse remnant of a man, and a literal GOD are all trying to kill one person and each person has a greater claim

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Chapter
College arc is over and the story is going on Hiatus as the author takes some R&R and preps for the next arc titled the 'Beast Arc'.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I'll just stick with the fan translations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Alder posted:

I read the latest news that the fan translations are stopping since "the simulpub has a translation that's on par with a number of fantranslations" note by the group on mangadex today.

Well drat. Guess I'll see if Seven Seas uses this MTL for their volume releases or not. Sad to see the old scanlator leave but I'm grateful for their work.