Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Clarste posted:

This only changes the context slightly, but I thought it was clear that she wasn't being sold as a slave, but as a collector 's item. An exotic pet. No one was expecting to get actual work out of her, they just wanted to own a rare and valuable sleigh beggy.

They're getting work out of her in the sense that she's a really powerful rare magic battery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Blank Construct posted:

It's a pretty heavy real world thing to bring up in a fantasy show about a young woman and a giant skeleton man learning to be friends.

A bunch of civilians are gonna get gorily murdered in the course of the story of a young woman and her huge skeleton dad so

e: I'm surprised by how widespread the handwringing over this is though. Did you all gag and refuse to watch stuff like GoT and Berserk too?

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 14, 2017

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Guts is in the army at 5 and him and Caska are killing people at like 14. The Stark girls are like 11-16 at the oldest. These are one young boy and a bunch of young women. (Younger than whatsherface in this show actually)

What I'm saying is the offense you're taking seems to be based on your expectation for what is acceptable content in a story about a young girl finding family vs. what's allowed in show's featuring prominently male characters (maybe? I think GoT is pretty 50/50 for all its faults) or I guess grand scale fantasy in the case of GoT and dark gritty male lead fantasy in the case of Berserk. That divide is actually fake and stupid though and you should embrace new stories that break your expectations rather than complaining that an intimate story about family (fantasy or not) isn't allowed to have these dark elements. Critique the execution all you want but don't just brush it off by saying they're not the same.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
It contextualizes their interactions with other magicians being very wary even when they're not actively hostile, and establishes that a lot of them are hosed up and will be more hosed up. Idk I don't know how it comes off in the anime exactly but when I read the manga I was like "drat her life's pretty hosed up, oh she entered this auction to escape her hosed up extended family and also bc she's a dumb teen, oh it's good this doofy skeleton guy saved her." Does it tonally swing from this dark point to sunshine and daisies dad fun times for the rest of the story? No. It'll reengage with the dark side of the magical world plenty but it's not going to be heavily about the slave trade specifically or the two of them trying to dismantle it, it's just there as a thing (far from the only) that's hosed up but exists in magic society and a pretty great thing that skeleton dad swoops in and saves her from it. For my part I think it's pretty dumb to say if it's brought up as a plot point it then has to be immediately engaged with and said "slavery is really bad" in the same episode that fact was pretty self evident from its depiction in the manga at least.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Could people who have read the manga stop with the spoilers? Especially the ones without spoiler tags? :sigh:

Haha, check this out guy, the manga

gets really good later on

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I figured it was roughly the same and I haven't watched the show

she sold herself into slavery in the manga and then it quickly became... everything else so seems pretty in line with what people are describing

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'll watch it tomorrow then I want blood lets do this

e: but also I take issue at saying discussing things on a discussion forum is "deciding who dies"

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 14, 2017

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
If hearing vague things like "people die" or "it's not a deep treatise on human slavery" ruins a show for you it's not worth watching in the first place

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Yeah I watched the first ep and I don't see how anyone gets Elias is an evil slaver and the show's just brushing it off!!! from that. The manga did go more into her past life and reasons for selling herself into slavery in specifics within the first chapter though. Just by virtue of having VA I think the show does a better job of showing how out of sorts Chise feels in a truly welcoming home in subtle ways. Pretty nice first ep, the "you're gonna be my bride" cliffhanger is a lot more impactful and funny in this format for sure.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Now then, let's decide who dies.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

This is a large part of why I decided to stick with the series, because I'm a huge sucker for this kinda thing.

Funny thing, I was talking with a friend the other day and she loves the series too but basically only has eyes for Elias (and his relationship with/feelings towards Chise), and it was pretty interesting to see how we were approaching and digesting the story from totally different viewpoints.

She wants to bone the hot bone daddy

and hell,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
manga q what question did joseph ask chise in 46?