Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

DisDisDis posted:

It contextualizes their interactions with other magicians being very wary even when they're not actively hostile, and establishes that a lot of them are hosed up and will be more hosed up. Idk I don't know how it comes off in the anime exactly but when I read the manga I was like "drat her life's pretty hosed up, oh she entered this auction to escape her hosed up extended family and also bc she's a dumb teen, oh it's good this doofy skeleton guy saved her." Does it tonally swing from this dark point to sunshine and daisies dad fun times for the rest of the story? No. It'll reengage with the dark side of the magical world plenty but it's not going to be heavily about the slave trade specifically or the two of them trying to dismantle it, it's just there as a thing (far from the only) that's hosed up but exists in magic society and a pretty great thing that skeleton dad swoops in and saves her from it. For my part I think it's pretty dumb to say if it's brought up as a plot point it then has to be immediately engaged with and said "slavery is really bad" in the same episode that fact was pretty self evident from its depiction in the manga at least.

Haha, check this out guy, the manga

gets really good later on

Would you kindly keep the manga spoilers in spoiler tags from now on though, master disdisdis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU