Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AnacondaHL posted:

I thought the source of this was a shoujo, so all of that I just shrugged off like meh w/e.

It does feel like more will be explained later, and would have been too much for 1 intro episode.
I mean, Yona of the dawn is a shojo. You shouldn't write off good series just because of the genre they publish in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, unfortunately the quick description of the series paired with anime's penchant for unsettling and uncomfortable situations like that do this series a huge disservice. Once you get to learn about Elias more you can 100% see how this situation ended up happening.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AnacondaHL posted:

You misread me, I'm not shrugging off the series because it's a shoujo, I'm shrugged off the portions of the premise that I personally found questionable because I thought this was a shoujo and thus I thought I was not part of the intended/target demographic.
Gotcha, though I said that because there's a surprising amount of people who will turn away from good series based solely on genre, like I know someone who won't read My Hero Academia or Fullmetal Alchemist because they're shonen, and they got burned by naruto and bleach so now all shonen is bad.

Anyways, I recommend reading the manga if you can. The artwork is often quite beautiful, even if the human characters can be a bit samefaced at times(the scientists are the worst offenders of this). The two-page spreads are really something, as shown.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Martytoof posted:

Didn't realize I wasn't supposed to watch the OVA before the series, ideally, so I did both yesterday. The whole ho hum I guess I'll just sell myself into slavery thing felt a little too out of the blue to take seriously but I'll roll with it because the OVA was interesting enough to keep me watching.
I've not watched the OVA, how do they treat it? Because the manga made it out to be more "I am suicidal and want to die, maybe if I sell myself into slavery someone can find a use for me or maybe someone will care about me at all"

definitely portrayed in a good "irrational thinking of a mentally disturbed and suicidal person" way

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Blank Construct posted:

I think my objection lies with the broader institution and Elias' complicity not really being developed after the opening, but it'll get there eventually I suppose.

Look

Looooook

Just trust us when we say read the manga or watch the show. Things do get addressed. The magical realm and humans who interact with it aren't painted as morally righteous people a lot of the time, hell, most of the time. Stop posting if all you are going to do is grouse about potentialities that people have repeatedly tried to be vague about in answering, otherwise you can just go read a wiki.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jackard posted:

May I be the first to say, these forums.
omae wa mou shindeiru

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not going into specifics, but if you enjoyed the darker aspects of faeries and otherworldly beings of european folklore and such, you're probably going to like this series a whole fuckin' lot

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nitrousoxide posted:

Having watched episodes 1 and 2 now, the entire time I spent watching this I had a dubious look on my face.

I have to say I don't like this show. Despite people saying that Elias has a very alien view about the world, that doesn't mean I should justify his literal slavery of this girl, anymore then an audience member should be okay with characters being enslaved in a Sci-Fi show by actual aliens. Whether he is nice to her or not doesn't justify the slavery.

I'm sorry, whether he understands what he's doing is wrong or not, every moment he's on screen I want him to die, the goofy moments he has with Chise seem so outlandishly out of touch and tone deaf that they are eyebrow raising.
nah

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nitrousoxide posted:

I want to be clear, my problem isn't with there being a story about a slaveholder and his slave. That's fine. My problem is with the tone this show has about the slavery, and the viewers who want to justify Elias's slavery of Chise and ascribe noble motives not even hinted at to him.
Hey dorkface why don't you chill your frothing righteous rear end a little and either let it play out past even a few episodes, read the manga to better understand things like has been said repeatedly, or at least stop this fingers-in-ears bad faith posting, cheers

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Elias is also protecting her from a wide variety of beings who would love to have an overcharged walking mana battery to exploit/devour, as well.

His purchasing her was not ideal, for sure. However, considering the other beings at the auction, this is kind of the best case scenario.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

OnimaruXLR posted:

Honestly if crippling depression was all that it took for characters in fiction to stop yakking about how they never asked for this and how they just wanted to be normal and how they wished all this exciting supernatural action never happened, then I would wish all the world's most ruinous and debilitating suffering upon all of them

huh, I never realized the problem with Eva was that Shinji wasn't depressed ENOUGH
shut up

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Even perfect immortality, where you suffer nothing directly, sucks rear end because everyone around will die first. There's no end of media discussing that particular problem. But again, we fall back to the physical and mental issues as previously discussed.
The immortality in Touhou handles it pretty well. There's three truly immortal characters(Eiren, Mokou, and Kaguya); their existence is outside the realm of our world at this point, they can die but simply pop back as if nothing happened shortly after, even if the world were to end, they'd still continue on in the dust of space, constantly dying and reviving. But their memories get overwritten as time goes on, as you can only remember so much, so they're doomed to forget things eventually unless they remind themselves.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh, right, duh, how could I forget. Akatsuki no Yona deals with immortality real well too. It's also an incredibly good series in general.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

There Bias Two posted:

Did you just spoil a plot element that wasn't in the first season? Arghhh.

I guess. At this point it's been a thing for years in the manga. Will they make more of the anime, I felt like it would be a one and done thing like a lot of series's adaptations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah the whole series is all about never fully trusting the fae and otherworldly, because they are, in every sense of the word, not human.

Except cool old dragons, because they're rad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
chapter 46

I love that Joseph is just your friendly neighborhood existential threat now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah the only real solid similarity with it and Harry potter is it's a wizard school, that's it

Harry potter didn't invent wizard schools

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, the anime got to the part previous to this current school arc right? So there'd hopefully be a good bit of a wait to let this build up a buffer to adapt from so we don't have a Fullmetal alchemist issue.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's a new chapter.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/650740

I just want to talk a little about how much I love this page in particular and the skill of the author in depicting Elias, a character who has an unmoving bestial skull for a head, as having varying emotions(chibi form notwithstanding) despite the bones never changing shape. It's all in how they look at him, what angle he's at, that gives the perception of a smile or frown. It's really, really good, and this page in particular makes it more obvious than normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Elias is entirely justified in being as clingy as he is because Chise is a disaster magnet