Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
NEWEST THING:Update 3.5 - bonus dungeon

Update 4 - Best At Planet!

Hey Folks! I know what!

Bacter, you GEM, you PRINCE, you CRUSTACEAN, what is THIS?: Immortal Planet! Isometric Stabber! Dark Souls style thing! Medieval Sci-Fi Robot Punchathon! Hard Game!

Any good? REAL good.

Plot? It's a Dark Souls-like (not TOTALLY but quite a lot), so you'll want to put it together as you go. We'll do so, TOGETHER!

Spoiler policy? None, please. I'll just mention that the achievement for winning is called "Bad Ending", and it's the only ending.

I think you'll enjoy it! This will be kind of breezy, since if you're decent, it's a quick play-through, but hopefully it'll inspire you to give it a go yourself. There are a bunch of different builds and ways to play, and they all feel quite different from each other. In other words: a truly enjoyable game!

:siren:THREAD PARTICIPATION ALERT:siren:

I'll be asking for votes on which loadout you'd like to see for the main game: more detailed descriptions are in the video, but IN GENERAL:

Swordspear + lightfoot charm = agile
Shieldaxe + Ironspine = tanky
Assaultblade + bloodshot eyes = aggressive

You can absolutely mix and match (and you can actually switch later in the game, so it's not like we're locked in forever), but I'd like to know which gear you'd like me to use!

If you like whatever I have in the first video, that's bloodshot eyes + assaultblade.

The game is actually PRETTY different (gameplay-wise) depending on which ones you pick!

:siren: END THREAD PARTICIPATION ALERT :siren:

THE GOONS HAVE SPOKEN:

We have equipped ourselves with

Swordspear & Bloodshot Eyes

LANCEPIRE: A quick and vicious foe, the lancepire hurtles itself into battle with unmatched ferocity, counting on the regenerative abilities of its' relic to make up for any deficit in defense. Ferocious doesn't mean heedless, however: the icy point of the spear is sharp, but brittle, and the lancepire can find itself in over its head very quickly indeed, if its charges aren't calculated.

Note on update: Video starts at 9:40, which is right where we ended the last video. The first bit is me working out how to play as the Lancepire, so reset to 0:00 if you want to see that!

As well, we've got two (pretty short) bonus pieces after this first update!

ENEMIES

ITEMS

RELICS

SPELLS

WEAPONS

Bacter fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
It's good to see you decided to do an LP of this and it looks like it'll be a fun ride. I think in regards to your loadout I'd say maybe go Swordspear and Lightfoot just because I think it looks pretty fun to be reactionary and moving in this, while you've still got your default blocking and defensive abilities.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Man this game looks pretty cool, (pun not intended) I'm defiantly going to keep my eye on this one.

I feel like the Swordspear and Bloodshot eyes might make for a very interesting play style. Guerrilla style fighting using your mobility to attack and retreat to stay healthy followed by massive carnage once hit to gain your health back.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Be agressive!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

Man this game looks pretty cool, (pun not intended) I'm defiantly going to keep my eye on this one.

I feel like the Swordspear and Bloodshot eyes might make for a very interesting play style. Guerrilla style fighting using your mobility to attack and retreat to stay healthy followed by massive carnage once hit to gain your health back.

Going with this. I like the hit-and-run glass cannon builds.

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007
ShieldAxe and Bloodshot eyes

I like the big swings.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
ShieldAxe and Iron spine

Maximum dwarf build.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I watched the first video of this and immediately bought the game myself. What a gorgeous art style.

No opinions on the relic, but I'd like to see the Shieldaxe in action.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Vampire powers are pretty great, so I'll say Bloodshot Eyes, and SwordSpear Because I'm a sucker for polearms that turn into swords.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Swordspear and Ironspine. The former is the most fun of the starting weapons imo, and the latter is probably the least-used of the accessories but still quite good.

Do you plan on showing off Nightmare mode at all? Or is this just going to be a new game run through?

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 8, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I will absolutely show off nightmare mode, just as soon as I can beat the starting area :haw:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Assaultblade and Lightfoot. MAXIMUM STAMINA.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Bloodshot Eyes because that sounds cool and also like you have a hangover.

The other part, LP'ers choice

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

THE GOONS HAVE SPOKEN:

We have equipped ourselves with

LANCEPIRE: A quick and vicious foe, the lancepire hurtles itself into battle with unmatched ferocity, counting on the regenerative abilities of its' relic to make up for any deficit in defense. Ferocious doesn't mean heedless, however: the icy point of the spear is sharp, but brittle, and the lancepire can find itself in over its head very quickly indeed, if its charges aren't calculated.

Note on update: Video starts at 9:40, which is right where we ended the last video. The first bit is me working out how to play as the Lancepire, so reset to 0:00 if you want to see that!

As well, we've got two (pretty short) bonus pieces after this first update!

ENEMIES

ITEMS

RELICS

SPELLS

WEAPONS

Bacter fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 11, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

megane posted:

I watched the first video of this and immediately bought the game myself. What a gorgeous art style.

No opinions on the relic, but I'd like to see the Shieldaxe in action.

Always glad to hear that - I think I mentioned, but you can see the beginnings of this art style in their last game, Ronin, but this one is just head and shoulders more detailed and intricate. I'll be watching this studio for sure!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Youtube says the Video is not available.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Let's try making it public. PRO LP.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nice to see you're focusing on magic, the best stat(s). Though they nerfed some of the spells it's still probably the most fun way to play the game, you get so many cool tools to play around with.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Do you have any idea what's up with non-magic items? Disc/mines etc. Either I'm not using them right, or they're just so absurdly bad...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bacter posted:

Do you have any idea what's up with non-magic items? Disc/mines etc. Either I'm not using them right, or they're just so absurdly bad...

Yeah, from my experience they tend to be kind of crap. There's a few good ones like the goo grenade or the pistol but most just aren't worth using.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is it easier to get bonus item uses than bonus spell uses? That's about the only thing I can think of. Or maybe items work better if you go for a less magic-focused build and crank the hell out of your physical stats?

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I relly like all those lore snippets in the item and enemy descriptions. They paint an interesting picture of the world and its past. Will you update the description of the brute, once its available?

Also, you didn't show off telekinesis or fireball. How come?

Nuramor fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 10, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

That gets fixed in this update, of course! Always meant not to!

So my GUESS is that the second boss fight in this area is probably the Capra Demon / OrnsteinSmough fight for this game for a lot of people. It's the first boss fight where the solution is something besides "learn their movements", and requires some lateral thinking on your part. I sure beat my head against it a good number of times before I figured out what was up!

So I'm curious: what do you fine folks think the story is gonna be - after this part, where we have lots of information (read the updated descriptions!), who is the villain? Who are WE? What are we up to?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The nice thing about Hyper is that it instantly refills your stamina bar, so you can use it to extend combos like the assault blade. Plus with the Bloodshot Eyes you'll just immediately heal off the damage it does to you.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Oh yeah, that might actually push it over the pistol in terms of utility for me...

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The game reminds me of those surreal Euro sci-fi comics you'd find in Heavy Metal, stuff like The Metabarons or games like the wonderfully incomprehensible E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy. It's like you can almost understand the rules and history of the place, but every time you get close, everything changes..

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Officially Best At Planet (beat nightmare), so that'll be released. I should really release as a bonus video me fighting the NG+ final boss, because it's 10 minutes of a really tough fight followed by a ten-second battle where I just wizard him to ashes. Wizard is best.

VVV

They did, and it was not.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 12, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bacter posted:

Officially Best At Planet (beat nightmare), so that'll be released. I should really release as a bonus video me fighting the NG+ final boss, because it's 10 minutes of a really tough fight followed by a ten-second battle where I just wizard him to ashes. Wizard is best.

I think I know what spell in particular helped there, though I thought the developer nerfed it. Guess it wasn't enough of a nerf.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is Prisoner One just going to keep reforming in that containment cell? I suppose he still won't be chained up.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I do think there's a circularity implied. It's again kind of dark souls like (two phases, waking and sleeping, being contrasted to the light/dark cycles of Dark Souls), but there are additional levels - just as there's an excess of sleeping, which is forgetfulness, there's an excess of wakefulness, which seems to be insanity. Plus, it's not a perfect circle, it's more seeming like a downward spiral.

Don't go to the planet that gives you immortality, is what we're basically saying here.

So yes, I think that just as we re-form from ice, Prisoner One is going to re-form in the room there. Hopefully by that point no-arms-guard will be out of there!

SO: this isn't The Longest Game. Today's updates actually finish off the main story! There are two more things I'm going to release:

1) A final showoff of the spells/items I don't get around to showing in these videos

2) I'll be showing off Nightmare mode. I've actually got a new computer that can maybe handle some streaming and conversation? So I'd like to stream and chat with some friends of mine, totally coincidentally ripping off a lot of conversational dark souls runs I've seen.

ALSO NOTE: There is some Very New content! There's a new achievement, three new NPCs, three new weapons, and a new challenge room! You actually get to see me stumble across two of these things in the part 4 video, because between the time I finished 3.5 and the time I started 4, all this stuff got added. Chuckle at me being gobsmacked and wondering if I'd somehow missed it before!

I, uh, recorded myself getting all the new challenge stuff and beating the room, but it didn't take. Sooooo I'll show it off in the nightmare mode run! :haw:

(4 is still uploading! Give it a lil' time)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I would not have figured that for an escape pod, but that was an ending worth that final boss to stop it.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Just mainlined the LP, and you did a great job showing it off. Gotta say though, that I felt pretty underwhelmed by the disintegration beam, despite how it was a staple of your load-out. Or, at least, I felt that it didn't synergize all that well with the ice shard. Seems like unless the enemy is doing a bee-line towards you, most of the damage is wasted. Are there any other powers it works well with?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

inscrutable horse posted:

Just mainlined the LP, and you did a great job showing it off. Gotta say though, that I felt pretty underwhelmed by the disintegration beam, despite how it was a staple of your load-out. Or, at least, I felt that it didn't synergize all that well with the ice shard. Seems like unless the enemy is doing a bee-line towards you, most of the damage is wasted. Are there any other powers it works well with?

The beam (as well as any other fire creating items) works excellent with the gas grenade (or w/e it's called; the one that leaves the green goo). Fire ignites the green goo causing a more powerful and longer-lasting flame. Great for anything that's not immune to fire. Also works super well with the Bloodshot Eyes. My favorite high-risk strat is to lob a gas grenade, then transform the katana, thereby both stunning the enemy(s) and igniting the goo. Then you can keep on swinging and replenishing your HP thanks to the eyes. One of the cool mechanical interactions in this game is that, so long as you're taking damage, red health will never fully deplete. Meaning that as long as you're swinging, and thus recovering that health bar, you'll never die either. Of course a single misstep and you'll run out of stamina, be stunned, and quickly run out of health. But it's a really fun way to play.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I should really try a run that way!

And yeah, I'm reasonably sure disintegration beam gets over-used just because of a mental tic I developed about it. I got wrecked by the archivist PLENTY of times, and it always did decent enough damage. If I'd have been smart, I'd make more liberal use of the toxin grenades.

Always something to improve!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Final update of log items:

WEAPONS

ITEMS

SPELLS

RELICS

COMPENDIUM

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Wow, those flavor texts paint a pretty bleak world. And apparently you found the missing two weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah - three new weapons actually! Part of a new mini-content pack they put in. That's also where the statue I don't remember and the NPC I didn't recognize came from.

• Locked thread