Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So the illegal drug trade is insanely hosed up as this article demonstrates https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/25/trafficked-enslaved-teenagers-tending-uk-cannabis-farms-vietnamese

Legal drugs would be good for all sorts of reasons but mostly I'm wondering why big pharmaceutical companies aren't lobbying to have drugs made legal because surely they would be the companies that would profit the most what with having all of the stuff needed to start bulk producing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

mo money op

as in its easier to make money when you join forces with other big lobbies like the prison industry instead of spending money on fighting them...plus chemical drugs are more complicated than growing pot, shrooms and other poo poo and so its easier to monopolize

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
they're making just as much money with legal drugs but, more importantly, the political forces that allow them to keep exploiting the healthcare system as much as they do (preventing any efficient public healthcare system) don't like those drugs, so there's a quid-pro-quo at play

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Less competition this way.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
opioids op

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Big pharma is pushing for different legal drugs where they can control the supply chain right from the get-go, imo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

They basically did this for opioid painkillers by marketing them as cost effective pain management medicine to doctors.

When people started getting addicted, the same companies started selling treatment for the same medicines they originally got the doctors to overprescribe.

:capitalism:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
high risk w/ little projected gain op

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

that's the cia's turf, op.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
legalize acid imho. I just want to be able to legally buy LSD made by Merck on Amazon prime

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
how you gonna patent drugs that have been around for decades

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Mariana Horchata posted:

high risk w/ little projected gain op
This. Big Pharma is making money hand over fist already. Legalizing drugs like MDMA, acid, etc is a huge risk for them with little to no gain. There is already too much research from other countries suggesting some schedule 1 drugs have massive untapped potential to transform the pharmaceutical industry - there is no guarantee these companies would come out on top after any drastic changes.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

They basically did this for opioid painkillers by marketing them as cost effective pain management medicine to doctors.

When people started getting addicted, the same companies started selling treatment for the same medicines they originally got the doctors to overprescribe.

:capitalism:

while at the same time lobbying to keep the straight stuff illegal

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Mariana Horchata posted:

legalize acid imho. I just want to be able to legally buy LSD made by Merck on Amazon prime

I want a prime button but for pre-microdosed water filters

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

There would be big money in a drug that doesn't leave you feeling hosed up after taking it to get hosed up

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Jose posted:

There would be big money in a drug that doesn't leave you feeling hosed up after taking it to get hosed up

Weed is like $1 a dose though and they want to charge $1000 a dose

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i just want a list of various drug effects and to choose all the ones i want and have the machine give me the drug

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Jose posted:

i just want a list of various drug effects and to choose all the ones i want and have the machine give me the drug

I want one of those fancy soda fountains where you can make a cocktail with flavors, but it uses hard drugs instead of soda

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i want glands implanted in my body so i can make the drugs i want by simply concentrating

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Dreddout posted:

I want one of those fancy soda fountains where you can make a cocktail with flavors, but it uses hard drugs instead of soda

With early 20th century era soda you can combine both in one!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Basically I want mdma with the euphoria from opiates, the visuals from acid and none of the struggling to piss. Make it taste nice too because mdma tastes just awful

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As others have mentioned, they're already making money off opiates, and other things might just cut into their profits from drugs they already have a patent on.

Regarding legalization, decriminalization is obviously a good idea, but I'm not so sure that legalizing stuff like opiates is a good idea. While most opiate addicts end up turning to illegal street drugs regardless, there's a minority (of which I am one) who likely would have never become addicted if not for legal opioids (either prescribed or grey market internet opioids). poo poo's just too risky, and there's no way for anyone to know whether they're someone who can handle it without addiction until they've already tried it (and at that point their life is already destroyed if they happen to be the sort of person who can't handle it).

There's no reason not to legalize stuff like hallucinogens and what have you, though. It's just the "creates pure euphoria" drugs like opioids and stimulants that are exceptionally dangerous.

edit: All this being said, harm reduction programs that offer "clean"/regulated opiates are definitely important. Street opiates are currently extremely dangerous largely because you don't really know what you're getting and if it's cut with something much stronger.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Ytlaya posted:

As others have mentioned, they're already making money off opiates, and other things might just cut into their profits from drugs they already have a patent on.

Regarding legalization, decriminalization is obviously a good idea, but I'm not so sure that legalizing stuff like opiates is a good idea. While most opiate addicts end up turning to illegal street drugs regardless, there's a minority (of which I am one) who likely would have never become addicted if not for legal opioids (either prescribed or grey market internet opioids). poo poo's just too risky, and there's no way for anyone to know whether they're someone who can handle it without addiction until they've already tried it (and at that point their life is already destroyed if they happen to be the sort of person who can't handle it).

There's no reason not to legalize stuff like hallucinogens and what have you, though. It's just the "creates pure euphoria" drugs like opioids and stimulants that are exceptionally dangerous.

what if we went for full legalization and plowed some of the billions we are plowing into enforcement for virtually no effect into drug treatment instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

Al! posted:

what if we went for full legalization and plowed some of the billions we are plowing into enforcement for virtually no effect into drug treatment instead.

Hopefully we break the 12 step stranglehold on drug treatment along with doing that

• Locked thread