Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Hey it's Leif Erickson day, the day to celebrate the first time Europeans made contact with the American continent. Post your favorite Viking, Norse, and transcontinental factoids.

Did you know that Vikings didn't wear horned helmets because that's a loving retarded idea? If you're in a fight that's an easy way for the enemy to control the position of your head and kill you instantly. Vikings are depicted as having that kind of helmet because they had some opera come out around the same time the sagas were becoming popular again, and the producers wanted the actors to seem more exotic and tough. And the image just stuck.

This modern day song is based off of an ancient Icelandic battle hymn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eHkjPCGXKQ

Vikings didn't just rape and pillage all the time tho. They also were heavily focused on personal honor, trade, and communication. A good Viking would be able to also resolve disputes with words as well as ritual death combat. Also get treasure and gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
this thread is about immigrant song. we can touch on the other stuff you said if the conversation naturally circles back that way

im generally averse to covers but all the people behind this one do good work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkP3urtYCkc

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
The vikings had a Thing. It was literally called a Thing. It's what they called their governing body, and it was an assembly of all the free people, who all had the right to one vote. The King ruled only by the consensus of the people and was fully aware of this fact.

English parliament and, by extension, American democracy owes as much to the Thing (and the Folkmoot, the Anglo-Saxon version) as to the ancient Greeks.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Check out this nerd talkin bout how America got discovered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImVcBI6qyQ

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Vikings suck. Celts rule.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

gary oldmans diary posted:

https://youtu.be/4MvbFM9zIGQ

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Happy Leif Erickson day! Hinga dinga durgen!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
its Columbo day

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
also, skyrim is fuckin wrong, check out how real sword and board warriors fought.

Spoiler: the shield is the main weapon, not the sword
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc

trust this guy his name's fuckin roland he prob knows this poo poo

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

this thread is about immigrant song. we can touch on the other stuff you said if the conversation naturally circles back that way

This is loving great, thanks. Could have been in the Matrix during a fight scene.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
viking dna produces blondes with fiery red beards and that's pretty dope

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Spoiler: the shield is the main weapon, not the sword
how much weed do i need to smoke before watching that video so it makes sense

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

how much weed do i need to smoke before watching that video so it makes sense

you need to do like four marijuanas

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Vikings were black. So were all of the kings of Europe up until the 1800s.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Blue Star posted:

Google Geirmundur Heljarskinn.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

The vikings had a Thing. It was literally called a Thing. It's what they called their governing body, and it was an assembly of all the free people, who all had the right to one vote. The King ruled only by the consensus of the people and was fully aware of this fact.

English parliament and, by extension, American democracy owes as much to the Thing (and the Folkmoot, the Anglo-Saxon version) as to the ancient Greeks.

Parliament more goes back to noble councils and Germanic and later medieval feudal ideas as the king of a first-among equals kind of idea than to the things and the Anglo-Saxon thing. Though in some way those ideas about the rights of the warrior aristocracy and such really come from the same place as the things and their equivalents.

The Things in Scandinavia mostly were local and as kings became more powerful they largely did away with them in governing the realm as a whole (though they still had to rely on the consent of their vassals and the church to govern their realm, as elsewhere in Europe). Also it's usually free landowning men, i.e., aristocracy in some way, not all free people.

Hey it's Leif Erickson day, the day to celebrate the first time Europeans made contact with the American continent. Post your favorite Viking, Norse, and transcontinental factoids.

Did you know that Vikings didn't wear horned helmets because that's a loving retarded idea? If you're in a fight that's an easy way for the enemy to control the position of your head and kill you instantly. Vikings are depicted as having that kind of helmet because they had some opera come out around the same time the sagas were becoming popular again, and the producers wanted the actors to seem more exotic and tough. And the image just stuck.

This modern day song is based off of an ancient Icelandic battle hymn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eHkjPCGXKQ

Vikings didn't just rape and pillage all the time tho. They also were heavily focused on personal honor, trade, and communication. A good Viking would be able to also resolve disputes with words as well as ritual death combat. Also get treasure and gently caress.

Horned helmets don't necessarily seem to have been a terrible idea. Lots of cultures throughout history have had horned or otherwise adorned helmets (Japanese, Celts, Romans, Greeks, etc), it's just that the vikings didn't. It probably wasn't because "it was loving stupid" or something like that.

When it comes to trade one of the most lucrative trade goods the vikings dealt in were people, slaves that is. Dublin, Kiev and Novgorod were essentially built on this, selling the slaves mostly to Byzantium and the Islamic world, though many also found their way back to Scandinavia (and a bunch of Irish women to Iceland which was mostly settled by men).

Viking is however a term, also attested in Scandinavia once we have written sources, that literally seems to mean "pirate". It's not really a culture or a people.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ulfberht > hanzo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Hector Beerlioz posted:

depending on how Nordic you are, of c.

Blue Star posted:

This is true. All the top tiers were black. Also the 14th pope, Victor I. in like the year 200.

In those days it was a lot more cosmopolitan than people think

check this ancient egypto lion that Vikings dcided to carve all over. they also wrote poo poo all over Hagia Sophia

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
more like kief erickson, IMHO!

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
It's clear why we named America after him.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn’t that the guy that discovered Iceland and thought it was Greenland and then proceeded to call everyone Mexicans and then invented the taco? :shrug:

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Isn’t that the guy that discovered Iceland and thought it was Greenland and then proceeded to call everyone Mexicans and then invented the taco? :shrug:

bjork discovered iceland and has been living there since the late paleolithic

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Percelus posted:

bjork discovered iceland and has been living there since the late paleolithic

God that makes so much sense! :stare:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Randarkman posted:

Parliament more goes back to noble councils and Germanic and later medieval feudal ideas as the king of a first-among equals kind of idea than to the things and the Anglo-Saxon thing. Though in some way those ideas about the rights of the warrior aristocracy and such really come from the same place as the things and their equivalents.

The Things in Scandinavia mostly were local and as kings became more powerful they largely did away with them in governing the realm as a whole (though they still had to rely on the consent of their vassals and the church to govern their realm, as elsewhere in Europe). Also it's usually free landowning men, i.e., aristocracy in some way, not all free people.

In fact one possible etymology for the word "thing" (as in non-specific object) is that it originally meant a matter for the Thing to discuss, and later took on the meaning of "object".

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
hinga dinga durgen :smug:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I wonder why the Newfoundland natives that Leif (or that other guy who actually tried to colonize America) and his merry men encountered weren't infected with smallpox. If they had been, maybe North- and South America would have had enough to time to recover so as to not be so completely devestated five centuries later.

Grevling fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 9, 2017

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Prob the Icelandic didn't have smallpox?

It was also much less of an interface between the two groups. Fewer people and less hanging out.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Hector Beerlioz posted:

im against it :colbert:

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I think Christopher Columbus is a piece of poo poo but not having the day off school because it's insensitive to celebrate this holiday is almost enough to make me go full on Republican.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bag em and tag em posted:

I think Christopher Columbus is a piece of poo poo but not having the day off school because it's insensitive to celebrate this holiday is almost enough to make me go full on Republican.

Just call it indigenuous peoples' day then demand it be celebrated.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Prob the Icelandic didn't have smallpox?

It was also much less of an interface between the two groups. Fewer people and less hanging out.

Yeah, it could be both of these things. I just skimmed the Wiki article and smallpox and it said it wasn't that common in Europe until the time of the Crusades, so a bit later than Leif.

I remember reading in the book 1491 that the earliest Spanish explorers brought pigs with them to have a portable food source and that smallpox spread from them extremely fast.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The Vikings were down and in those days could only smoke weed, cigs hadn't been discovered yet. It's how they developed their most powerful techniques. Squares couldn't figure it out.

This is how berserkers were formed. Ber is weed and serk means smoke or suck

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Grevling posted:

Yeah, it could be both of these things. I just skimmed the Wiki article and smallpox and it said it wasn't that common in Europe until the time of the Crusades, so a bit later than Leif.

I remember reading in the book 1491 that the earliest Spanish explorers brought pigs with them to have a portable food source and that smallpox spread from them extremely fast.

Yep. Pretty hosed. Plague blankets were real too. Apparently there have been a significant number of times records relating to biological war were destroyed to make those guys look better.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is a solid history of people catapulting rotting/diseased corpses over walls or poisoning water supplies in similar manners so it's not like biological warfare was an unknown thing, even if they didn't call it that and didn't really know about germ theory of disease.

But yeah similarly it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't super gung ho to explain to the Vatican how they were just slaughtering people that were specifically meant for conversion or enslavement. Just spitballing there though.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

COMRADES posted:

Just call it indigenuous peoples' day then demand it be celebrated.

They DO call it indigenous peoples day and I still have to work. it's pc culture gone mad I tell ya

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

This is how berserkers were formed. Ber is weed and serk means smoke or suck

How is warrior formed? How shield maiden get pregnant

cnut
May 3, 2016

Mozi posted:

more like kief erickson, IMHO!

lol

I like Queef Erickson myself :heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Zelder posted:

Happy Leif Erickson day! Hinga dinga durgen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkGDLayx7KU&t=1s

• Locked thread