Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm glad to see that it seems like they'll be following up on Rey having crazy amounts of raw power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

I'm not. It's lazy. It's like when a popular series regular leaves, so the producers panic at the thought of losing popularity, so they replace that character with someone who's just like them, but they overcompensate by telling the audience that the new character is even better than the last one.

It's something the EU would do. "Think Luke and Vader were powerful? Well, these new characters are better than them because they're even more powerful!"

It seems like its gonna actually be a plot point though. Not just upping the stakes for no reason.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh yeah, Ben taking a shot at Leia and Rey seeking advice from Ben are almost certainly fakeout trailer edits.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

oddium posted:

the gorilla arm at-ats rule

They're also HUGE! There are regular AT-ATs in that same lineup as the new AT-M6s, and they come up just past the knees.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Phobeste posted:

How do you know the names of the gorilla walkers already

Star Wars official website article from August

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

lelandjs posted:

Where the gently caress does Finn keep getting lightsabers from

The only one he's used he got from Maz's castle. Rey has it now, took it to Ahch-To with her.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Interesting that Canto Bight doesn't seem to have been in that trailer at all...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Where does the Christmas special fall in this list?

There's never been a Christmas special. You're thinking of the Holiday Special; and that's Legends.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Blues Hammer posted:

P1-ZZ4 Class Star Destroyer

Er, it's a Mandator IV-class dreadnought

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lord Hydronium posted:

The trailer music since the Disney takeover has really been on point. I like the use of the new themes in the TLJ trailers, and it goes to show how nicely Williams' sequel material fits with the previously existing music.

Oh yeah. The reprise of Jedi Steps in there was really nice.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

G-III posted:

What the gently caress is that dumbass otter penguin? Did dreamworks animation studios vomit into ILM?

They're called porgs

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

berserker posted:

WTF Chewy and his eyes are most definitely not CGI. He's being played by a younger guy now who has taken over from Peter Mayhew who physically can't do it anymore.

They're still crediting Mayhew though. Like Kenny Baker in the Prequels, they'll put him in the suit for a shot or two.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

spacetoaster posted:

Have they decided to go away from practical effects and CGI everything now?

Looks to be just like the previous 7 episodes, in that it's a mixture of various types of special effects

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly I think I'm more interested in finding out more about Ben than Rey...I still think Rey's origin/secret is gonna be the safest possible thing, but Ben stands a chance of being far more interesting, especially since they went ahead and had him commit patricide.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Maz talks about the sith, the baddies talk about clone troopers, and the republic is based on Coruscant. Kyle is blatantly a version of Anakin, and Luke going missing after his Jedi school is destroyed is a direct reference to Revenge Of The Sith.

Slight correction; Coruscant doesn't appear in TFA. The Hosnian system is the one housing the government and gets destroyed by Starkiller Base

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Basebf555 posted:

Oh yea definitely, I just don't remember it coming up in the prequels. I don't have every line memorized.

Vast amounts of all three PT films take place on Coruscant.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

SMG has made this argument before, that it doesn't matter if it's technically not called Coruscant, it looks and acts AS Coruscant for the purposes of the movie, so for the audience, it being a city planet is a call back to the prequels. It is meant to evoke Coruscant, in appearance and in function, and this only works because we see Coruscant in the prequels.

Whether you agree or not, that's where he's coming from, and arguing technicalities won't get you anywhere.

But you're you, so you will. (You know I love you, jivjov.)

Why don't people just say this, then? Why blatantly lie and call it Coruscant, when the actual meaning meant to be conveyed is "a planet/system like Coruscant"?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

Because in that movie it is coruscant .

It's not though. At no time is it ever called Coruscant. And it's explicitly called "the Hosnian system".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

Sure but it's also Corsicany as has been explained above .

No, it's really not. One thing being similar to another thing doesn't make those two things the same.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The planet is Coruscant in the film. The EU then retconned the film.

At no point is the Hosnian system or Hosnian Prime ever called Coruscant in any film or novel or comic.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

What is coruscant?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Coruscant

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TFA says that the capital of the Republic, previously established as Coruscant, is located in 'The Hosnian System'.

Hosnia is therefore implicitly the name of the star that Coruscant orbits. (In real life, Earth is located in The Solar System. Because it orbits Sol).

The EU retcons the film with a convoluted story. It claims that there are multiple Republic capitals that all look the same, so what we saw was actually a clone of Coruscant and the real Coruscant survived. The EU also claims that Hosnia is not a star at all, but actually multiple planets that are called Hosnia. (Hosnia 1, Hosnia 2, etc.) This EU stuff sounds suspiciously like a 9/11 conspiracy theory.

Uh....no. That's not how it works at all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Neo Rasa posted:

To differentiate we can call the new EU the NEU.

Or you can just call it Canon. All the books and comics and whatnot coming out under Disney is equal to the films.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

Should the thread title be "They called the tenth Star Wars "episode 8"?

TPM
AotC
Clone Wars
RotS
Rogue 1
ANH
ESB
RotJ
TFA
TLJ

Nobody seems to remember Clone Wars. Just the live action ones.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

I consider a TV pilot with a theatrical run to be distinct from a movie, but I don't know why I think that.

While the Clone Wars film was repurposed TV episodes, they did go in and edit them into a film presentation. They didn't just air 4 episodes unaltered

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The only strictly non-canonical bit in From a Certain Point of View is that one joke comic panel "story" about a cardboard box fort on Dantooine.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"It's bad that the character is a creep"

"Why?"

"Well the acting is bad"

"Why?"

"Well the character comes off as a creep"

For once, I actually completely agree with you.

I think most of people's problems with the "romance" is a result of two things. Firstly, George's awkward dialog. And it's not awkward in the "two teens who are really bad at talking to one another" way. And secondly, people have certain expectations for how a film romance between the protagonists is supposed to play out...and Anakin and Padme don't follow the script for a happy ending.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Yaws posted:

I believe he went to prison for clumsily lighting his neighbors house on fire with some fireworks.

RIP Cnut. Some people here miss you :(

Wait...did this actually happen?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
To hold off until the new film comes out...I'm finally going to listen to the original Radio Drama...I've heard many good things!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

UmOk posted:

Probably after they finish remaking the originals in a few years?

When did they announce any remakes at all?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

UmOk posted:

First one came out in 2015.

Uh, the only Star Wars movie that came out in 2015 was The Force Awakens. That's not a remake of anything.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

viral spiral posted:

It's a remake of A New Hope.

No it isn't. It's a sequel to it, as well as the other two OT films.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

viral spiral posted:

It copied the plot of A New Hope. How can you not see this?

It hit familiar Star Wars plot beats, sure...but that's literally the Star Wars formula. The characters were completely different, and the plot, while familiar, was distinct.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

viral spiral posted:

I can't tell if you're being serious. Not only did it copy the plot, it even had some of the same shots and compositions. RLM, countless youtubers, and even critics explains this in great detail with a simple google search.

I'm being very serious. Episode VII is not a remake of Episode IV. Why would it have a completely different episode number, different plot beats, and different characters if it was a remake? The crux of the film's plot is finding a character fr Episode IV. Literally no locations, other than "on board the Falcon" are reused between IV and VII. Other than Han, Luke, Leia, Ackbar, and Nien Nunb, there are no characters from the OT, let alone IV, in VII.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

Why didn't you cite wookiepedia ?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Episode_IV_A_New_Hope

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Episode_VII_The_Force_Awakens

There you go :)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

moist turtleneck posted:

I can't believe they killed that one pod racer and never said anything about it

https://i.imgur.com/Lz9bn3V.gifv

RIP Ratts Tyerell

You literally see it happen on screen, and I'm pretty sure his crying family is in the background of a later scene in the final cut of the film.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

UmOk posted:

Don't all the pod racers die except Anykin and Sebulba?

Nope. Tyrel is the sole fatality of the Boonta Eve race we see in Episode I

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

UmOk posted:

Sure? I thought most of them exploded

Maybe something's changed in Canon, but in Legends, everyone else survived. Some injured, most with their pods completely wrecked.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Apologies, I did forget to mention the droids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I fully predict that Solo: A Star Wars Movie will end with Han and Chewie arriving at Tattooine. Possibly even entering Chalmun's for a drink.