Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This doesn't look very much like Chewbacca

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Phobeste posted:

Why is Chewbacca perfectly smooth

Benbacca Chewbutton

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Trailer looks good. I bet the movie will be good too, like TFA and Rogue One and unlike the prequels which were loving trash.

You must unlearn what you have learned

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Kylo obviously doesn't kill Leia and goes good by saving Rey (betraying Snoke). Luke gives her the cold shoulder so she turns to Kylo after seeing his flip. The trailer leads you to think it's the other way around but I guarantee that's what happens.

Maybe Rey and Kylo just come to respect one another despite their differing religious and political views and end up a James Carville/Mary Matalin type power couple.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

"You think you're going to enjoy this, but you're not."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Gonz posted:

Luke is a grizzled old gently caress and is going to style on everybody in this movie.

Luke has lived long enough to realize that the Empire and the anti Empire are just sides of the same coin.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Having BB-8 and Porgs and an evil BB-8 all crammed in there seems like a little much.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sylink posted:

This is the problem with most Disney movies/comic book movies. They take zero risks in any of the plots. Its like centrism but for cinema.

I don't know if its Disney as much as it is the overall concept that every franchise has to be extended as long as it's profitable. Your heroes can't die, they can't retire, and they can't do something the audience will find unforgivable.

This is why the MCU is never going to have the balls to adapt that storyline where Tony Stark is revealed to be a sex offender and the Avengers all have to decide whether to support him or not.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 10, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

We'll almost certainly discover Rey's lineage/origin.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

berserker posted:

WTF Chewy and his eyes are most definitely not CGI. He's being played by a younger guy now who has taken over from Peter Mayhew who physically can't do it anymore.

There's absolutely no way those are the actors eyeballs, at least not without any CG touchup.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yaws posted:

The worst of the eight is Attack of the Clones. Not only is it the worst Star Wars, it's one of the worst big budget movies ever made.

Quite literally nothing in that film works. Nothing. It has almost no redeeming qualities. It's a piss stain on the franchise.

It's better than The Phantom Menace and The Force Awakens, and also about half of the Marvel Cinematic Universe's oeuvre.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's definitely got its flaws- nobody puts in an especially good performance, it's ugly as sin- but I would just as soon watch Attack of the Clones five times in a row than sit through the Hobbit Trilogy again.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't understand why the Hobbit movies have avoided the level of notoriety that the Star Wars prequels have. They're really, really bad. Maybe people just felt too beaten down to even want to think about them after watching them.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's mind boggling how much worse they look on every level than LoTR

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Not to get all :goonsay:, but it's weird that the Hobbits would even have a go pro

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

The prequels are the perfect example of why Lucas needed people around him to tell him no to certain ideas.

I'm glad we got three auteurist Star Wars movies that are a bit shaggy. Maybe you appreciate them, maybe you don't, but we're not going to get another Star Wars that is such a pure, weird extension of its creator (as John Hodgman called it, "the pure, unfettered emanation of a deranged mind").

If you prefer the more manicured, focus grouped Star Wars, then good news- it's what we're going to get every year for the rest of our lives.

Disney can play with X-Wings and Tie Fighters for forever, and it will be perfectly fun, but I'm glad there still exist these movies where you have an old man Jedi Master with a limp-dick lightsaber, and penis rhinos impaling vagina cats, and asthmatic lizard cyborgs, and Palpatine jizzing in his robes when he finds a new twink in Anakin.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 11, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Disney ignore the Prequels, except for all the times they market Prequel era stuff like another returning Clone Wars character in Rebels (and Rogue One), the new Clone Captain toys, and Battlefront 2 being introduced with a Naboo map (after players of the first EA Battlefront demand more PT content).

They are not even ignoring the old EU. There's going to be a new Jaina Solo toy.

We'll probably also see more of Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

viral spiral posted:

Disney is known for their market research, and boy, would I like to see the dislike ratio for the prequels.

Much like Blade Runner fandom, I think you'd likely find that legitimate prequel hatred is a niche market, and vastly over-represented online.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

viral spiral posted:

You're right, Jar Jar Binks and Hayden Christensen (ahem, Anakin) are revered just like R2D2 and Luke Skywalker.

I think "they're just okay/they're not that great" is a pretty widely held sentiment. "They're among the worst movies ever made and I wish they didn't exist" is not a mainstream sentiment.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Let's talk about something more important- are the sequels going to incorporate Luke's computer girlfriend from the EU at any point?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

SMG has made this argument before, that it doesn't matter if it's technically not called Coruscant, it looks and acts AS Coruscant for the purposes of the movie, so for the audience, it being a city planet is a call back to the prequels. It is meant to evoke Coruscant, in appearance and in function, and this only works because we see Coruscant in the prequels.

Whether you agree or not, that's where he's coming from, and arguing technicalities won't get you anywhere.

But you're you, so you will. (You know I love you, jivjov.)

It's weird that they don't just blow up Coruscant. What's the point of blowing up a planet that looks like Coruscant, serves the same function as Coruscant, and that 95% of the audience is going to assume is Coruscant, but then establishing somewhere in the fine print of the new EU that actually no, it's not Coruscant? (If the planet that's destroyed is ever identified in the movie as Hosnian Prime, it's extremely fleeting). I guarantee when and if Coruscant comes back into play a vast majority of the audience is going to say "wait, wasn't that blown up?"

What are they keeping Coruscant on the map for? I guess the story group came to them late in post production and said "actually guys, we still need Coruscant not blown up so the Resistance can search the old Senate building for Palpatine's gold in Episode XV."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I feel pretty confident that every planet, species, and background character that appeared onscreen and had a name under the old continuity still has the same name under the new continuity.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I can't remember, according to the EU did Palpatine gently caress? Don't tell me about Triclops from those kids books; those are of dubious canonicity.

Did his obsession with creating life through unnatural means stem from some sort of genital malformation? After his confrontation with Mace Windu did his ballsack become more wrinkly or less wrinky?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 12, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

it's boring because it's rushed, it's far more interested in speeding along to the next epic setpiece or OT callback than slowing down to provide a larger context for why anything is happening or characterizing any of its new cast(except kylo ren)

As I think someone else hinted at, the fist 15 minutes we spend with Rey basically just going through her daily routine is easily the strongest stretch in the movie.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

No but Hayden Christiansen was an awful actor which made the creepy teen worse

I think Hayden Christensen portrays a creepy, insecure, melodramatic teen quite well. In fact he did it so well it effectively ended his career

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Monopolies are bad.

Eh, it's not like it's cars or phone lines or something; it's just media and information, the least powerful commodities imaginable.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

What was the point of putting Finn in a coma at the end of The Force Awakens?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It forces Finn and Rey to separate which they wouldn't clearly have much reason to do otherwise.

Clearly Rey has some reason to seek out Luke, wouldn't having someone there to question her motives be a good thing?

It feels kind of like the writers weren't sure how to cap off Finn's arc or his friendship with Rey so they just kind of punted.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Well, Luke didn't take Han or Leia or Wedge with him to Dagobah, so of course Rey couldn't take anyone with her to Luke

The movie gives her an easy out by letting her leave Finn behind without having to explain herself.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Jerkface posted:

The new star tours is amazing and when you go to jakku scavengers try to scavenge you.

If I wanted that I'd just got to Detroit

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Luke needs to see R2 one more time before he dies

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ingmar terdman posted:

Yeah, Rian asking JJ to swap R2 and BB was if nothing else correcting a really dumb mistake.

I hope all the Rey and Luke island training is intercut with R2 slowly but surely getting up the stairs, and when he finally gets to the huts, it's time for them to go. R2 sighs and looks at the camera. Iris wipe.

Maybe they finally got around to fixing his rocket boosters.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

UmOk posted:

Oh, definitely. "Ape" and "Human" can be used interchangeably for the most part.

One of these is created in the image of God and endowed with an immortal soul tho

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yo, what is up with Geonosian architecture?

Good ol' limp dick Dooku dwarfed a row of giant stone vaginas

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Beeez posted:

I don't think he necessarily was trying to kill Conan, and Antilles is an enemy and a traitor rather than just an incompetent subordinate. He's described as "obsessed" with finding Luke in the opening of ESB. There is absolutely a key difference between a guy who serves the Empire willingly and loyally because he has nothing left and has become part of the machine both figuratively and literally, and a guy who found out he actually does have a personal mission to pursue. I've always thought that, if not for Luke and Leia, Vader would've never tried to betray the Emperor. He would have just remained a part of the machine. In ESB he cares about finding the rebels because he wants to find Luke, I don't even think retribution for the Empire is that important to him at that point.

Yeah, and I think Vader was probably kind of invigorated to find someone who could be a potential equal, even as a rival. Maybe especially as a rival. All he had to live for for years was his grudge against Obi-Wan, and I have to think that their confrontation was probably a huge letdown for him.

It also makes me wonder what Palpatine was like during the Empire's apex, post Jedi purge. He seemed to live for corrupting and destroying the Jedi- that's what really brought him pleasure, taking control of the galaxy was almost incidental. With no more Jedi, I could easily see Palpatine settling into an existential malaise of sorts.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ending of Revenge of the Sith should have been the ending of The Graduate, except it's Vader and Palpatine.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

For Vader, yes, but it's kind of a triumphant note for Palpatine as far as we see.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

UmOk posted:

It's kinda weird that Han Sorbo is always calling Luke a kid while considering Luke's twin sister perfectly fuckable.

Have you learned nothing in the past month?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Cnut the Great posted:

Remember that time Han Solo cornered her in a closet, disregarded her bodily pushing him away from her, ignored her verbal refusals, and then proceeded to physically and emotionally overpower until she gave into him? It's okay though because Han knew Leia was just playing hard to get (and that's canon!).

C-3PO is a hero for stepping in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

jivjov posted:

Galactic Standard Calendar has a 5 day week, 7 week/35 day months, and 10 month + 3 festival weeks + 3 holidays (368 day) years.

Days of the week are Primeday, Centaxday, Taungsday, Zhellday, and Benduday.

(Note; this is all Legends)

Is the part in the novelization of ANH where Obi-Wan talks about a duck canon?

edit: Yup!!

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 18, 2017