Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rip Testes posted:

That little seal yapping beside Chewbacca.

Time for PORG IS MY COPILOT bumper stickers I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Munkaboo posted:

So help me if that desert planet is the first one and it starts with an AT-M6 invasion.

Also, people that call AT-AT's "at ats" are like people that call GIF's "jif".

What about people who call TIE Fighters "tie fighters"?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Goons and lists > loving plague.

:same:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

well why not posted:

please stop posting lists

the Chewie shot looks touched up, I don't think the mask can do that sort of expression.

there's a younger actor in the suit for most shots now, Mayhew has trouble walking due to his height and being so tall. Adding the suit on top is a bit much for a guy in his 70s.

maybe he could have done it if he only had one of those two conditions. we'll never know

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zeris posted:

Is there toilet paper on Acht-to

Does Chewie brush his teeth

What are those damned crystal wolf things all about

How many times will Poe say "we gotta give it everything we've got"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSWCQ7ALEms

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zeris posted:

Ok great. Now what about the other 3 questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoNtj27a6Rk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LotW96AmSBo

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

It's not a mistake that Darth Vader is uncool underneath the mask.

Did not match expectations = mistake

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

There's a new EU.

A neoeu. Or maybe an eunouveau.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Padme is damaged goods, too, though. Like literally everyone else in the prequels except Palpatine (who gets his similar moment only at the end of RotJ), she only realizes where her blindness has gotten her once its too late.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

TFA up until they leave Jakku is pretty much as perfect as the first act of a modern Star War could be imo. It might be my favorite first act other than the first one.

Episode IV originally had even more "Luke doing Luke stuff" like hanging out with his friends, and I kind of wish that existed in a finished form. It would drag the pace, but further drives home the radicalization point.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah there's a fun shot right before this where you can see the extension cord running to her dress. What a visual feast for the senses truly every frame is a painting when Lucas directs

b-b-b-b-but practical effects

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Obi-Wan: Why were you banished Jar-Jar?
Jar-Jar Binks: It's a longo taleo buta small part of it would be mesa... clumsy
Obi-Wan: You were banished because you were clumsy?
Jar-Jar Binks: Yousa might'n be sayin dat.

Mesa cause one, two-y little bitty axadentes, huh?

("It's on automatic pilot!")

Yud say boom de gasser,

("Oops!")

den crashin der bosses heyblibber,

("Yippee!")

den banished.

("Peace!")

Jar Jar and Anakin as pharmakoi. The former was banished to the surface, the latter to the Jedi order.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

Both of the standalones reference their standalone nature in their titles.

Maybe that means they'll stop doing them sooner rather than later. Maybe we'll be done after Fett, Alone and Maul By Myself.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Shoulda just gone the Indiana Jones route and been Han Solo and the Spice Mines of Kessel.

I thought this too, but then, that's a really pulpy title and may not be the tone of the movie.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

All Dogs Go to Yavin

Dead Pilots Society

I am old and so prefer Yavin Can Wait

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Just re-watched Rogue One. It was definitely more enjoyable on re-watch than TFA even though I think TFA had the better crafted plot and writing.

The main reason I'm replying is to make the joke about how TFA's plot is better because it's ANH's plot.

But I also thought about what you wrote and I agree. Rogue One is simply more original, even though we already know vaguely how it ends, and somehow shows us more things we have never seen. Rogue One is more from the height of Dutch painting. TFA is one of Monet's later water lily paintings where his vision was failing, but we value it anyway because we like Impressionism and hey, it's Monet.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

I hated The Hobbit.

But did you hate it behind the scenes?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

i would love to see what snyder would do with a star wars film but i would not love to see what disney would do with snyder's star wars film

He'd be one of my choices for an "Old Republic" film.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Spelling out every acronym partially defeats the purpose of having acronyms and makes it sound as though you are trying to conceal what you're talking about from a three-year-old.

"I sure do love those Jedi and their L - A - S - E - R swords."

In other news, apparently Daisy Ridley is great at Star Wars secrets, terrible at Werewolf/Mafia secrets.

homullus fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 5, 2017

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

a.lo posted:

i had a dream the other day where i became a jedi knight and they were going to promote me to jedi master but i told them that i wasn't quite ready for that title and went on to say that the title of jedi knight was pretty cool. they thought otherwise but respected my wishes. that;s my jedi knight story.

What color was your L.A.S.E.R. sword?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

Give me an honest to god Opera version of the Star Wars films.

"Nessun Dorma" would be an excellent Star Wars character name.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

teagone posted:

This actually became one of my bigger gripes after seeing AOTC when it came out lmao. I didn't expect Hayden's voice to be so soft sounding. It's a trivial complaint sure, but I kept telling all my friends back then how much better Heath Ledger would have been as Anakin instead because he had a more booming voice. A Knight's Tale also came out like a year before AOTC and I loving loved that movie in high school too :shobon:

Anakin's voice was already canonically not-booming as of RotJ

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Han Solo from EA's Battlefront 2

Han Shaved First

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Pork Porkins

Jizz Music

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ESB's beginning and ending are some of the best things in all of Star Wars. RotJ has a good pulpy beginning and a good ending. The middles of each are ok. I can see liking RotJ more, but I can't see claiming it's better. It has too much plot to resolve verbally, rather than visually.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I used think that Empire was merely okay but that the Hoth, Dagobah, and Cloud City parts were great. Then later I realized that the entire movie takes place on Hoth, Dagobah, and Cloud City.

Dagobah? More like Drag-obah

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

oh wow i used to have that x wing

so it's your ex wing

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Fans are awful.

Fans are awful, but fanning is essential.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Well, yes. He’s emotionally tired from the fact he’s loving dead and after all he’s seen and been through as a wandering space paladin he still has the weight of a galaxy that has long since forgotten him on his shoulders as he tries to teach his dead religion’s philosophies and traditions to the son of his murderer.

It’s quite exhausting just to think about, hence the need to sit down, because while his physical vessel may be long gone, his soul is still weary from the work he left unfinished. It’s those little details that make the emotional weight of the Original Trilogy hit a lot harder than anything that’s followed.

So he's . . . dead tired.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

New TV spot shows at least a few get onto the Falcon. But yeah, they seem to solely be there to be an annoyance to Chewie, which sounds pretty funny.

"This dog was grieving over his master's untimely death, but watch what happens when these rodents start to annoy him!"

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hizawk posted:

I hated Rogue One, but liked the Force Awakens and absolutely love this.

I love the fact that Finns mission ended in failure. People gently caress up and make mistakes and despite having the best intentions, consequences happen. It goes with the theme of hot headedness isn't always a virtue.

I don't think that happened. The actual end of the movie is a consequence of that sequence.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lincoln posted:

My only complaint with this film is that they should have manufactured a better Ticking Clock than “we have to keep outrunning the star destroyer until we run out of fuel.” Pretty much everything else was rock-solid, and everyone in this thread who says otherwise is trying hard to be a Cinema Discusso contrarian. Worst Thread Ever continues to deliver.

What was wrong with it that wasn't already the kind of thing routinely appearing in Star Wars?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

business hammocks posted:

Another revision would have helped the script a lot. Much of it tells a story, but stays kind of clumsy in a first-draft way. Ideally I wouldn’t sit there confused about why there are ice foxes cruising around everywhere until someone points out a reason how they connect to the plot. I’m just baffled about why those ice foxes are just walking around in tense drama scenes. Just letting someone else take a crack at integrating them into the story would make everything smooth.

Uh, they were shown running into the cave fleeing the First Order's walkers. They normally live outside. They are afraid of giant walkers and not people. What more did you need?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

business hammocks posted:

Like ideally my experience of watching a movie doesn’t feature me wondering why they wrote a bunch of foxes into the movie that just wander through all the shots and sit on consoles to be ignored by everyone until a character points out a plot function the foxes serve.

It’s not that I don’t understand the plot reasons why foxes are there. The writing and presentation is just rickety in a way I found distracting because usually movies have little looped in dialogue tricks to smooth over stuff like that.

In other words, you prefer movies to spell things out for you, rather than inferring things from what you see.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lincoln posted:

It was a Ticking Clock that too easily led the audience to think to themselves, wait, why don’t they just do X? Most Ticking Clocks are manufactured, but good ones don’t leave audiences scratching their heads. Episode IV’s “The “Death Star will be in range in three minutes” was wonderfully executed.

Also:
Get out of the trash compactor before it squishes us.
Evacuate Hoth before the Empire takes control of the base.
Blow up the shield generator before the rebel fleet is destroyed.

Thanks for playing.

Condescension noted. I was wrongly inferring that you thought they could have done a better Ticking Clock with the major story elements as-written, rather than "entirely new script."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

He got ruined?

He learned to trust the Force in ANH! Why did they make him not trust the Force again in ESB??!?!?!? WHyyca n't youo see thiss/???

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I like TLJ because it breaks new ground and supports the inference that prequel Jedi were deeply misguided.

Here's a thought about Finn that maybe improves his part a bit: we know nothing about what Finn thinks, only what he does. He deserted the First Order in TFA because it appears to be a horrifying death sentence. He tries to desert what was left of the Resistance as it was for the same reason, and he might not have been wrong. Perhaps the Resistance of future films will not be a military or terrorist organization.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

G-III posted:

If they love their droids so much then they could just like... download the droid's memories to portable storage and re-upload into a similar model droids when they get one. That's the advantage of machines and artificial intelligence.

The CIS used droids to fight a whole goddamn galactic war and yet the resistance can't even use them to pilot a ship when they're not on it? The resistance deserved all their losses and Luke should not have wasted his life to save their dumb asses

maybe they can't down load them because droid are people

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Raxivace posted:

It's true, Episode 6 would have been better if Mothra had been in it.

Only if Mon Mothra had her twin Mothra fairies to sing her leitmotif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Admiral Bosch posted:

So, I wrote a huge dumb post in a facebook discussion with my friends, which nobody here wants to read, because I'm sure somewhere in here someone has echoed my opinions. I got to this movie late, and I went in pretty blind, because deliberately exposing yourself to all the media and marketing about a movie is stupid IMO. The fact that anyone thinks this movie is good is frankly mindblowing to me. It's not just a bad Star Wars movie, it's a bad movie. Everything involving Luke, Rey, and Ren was really quite good, and I'd watch a cut of the movie that was just about them. The throne room fight rocked, and I found myself wishing they had made the first movie about Ben turning instead, and have everything follow(although I of course recognize the value in keeping interesting things shrouded).

Everything else was really, really bad. And because everything else was 70% of this movie, this movie is largely a slog. I appreciate what Johnson seemed to want to do, which was turn expectations around on the audience, but it didn't work. At least, not for me. If you like this movie, good for you. I came out of the theater thinking that I probably wouldn't see Episode 9 in theaters, although now my opinion is "yeah i'll go but i'll be drinking the whole time."

Anyway, enough about my opinion. What's really bothering me is the discourse surrounding people sharing their opinions: people keep asking me "oh you hated it? are you triggered, fanboy??? :smug: " and poo poo like that. It's like nobody's allowed to criticize it, because if they do, they're either 1. not a real fan, or 2. why are you a fan of something you hate??? To which my response is "I am a fan of good movies, and the original trilogy are good movies." I don't know, I'm just a little frustrated.

Neonazis criticizing it are stupid though because they're doing it for the wrong reasons

When you level up, you gain the ability to accept that a thing can be well made, but not liked by everyone. You also gain the ability to sometimes distinguish valid crticism from simple dislike.