Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i can't believe they dropped a moon on chewbacca

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

General Dog posted:

This is loving insane, everyone in the world has seen this movie already, and it they haven't it's extremely unlikely they're in this thread.

It's the exact same rule that was in place for Force Awakens and Rogue One, and everyone got along fine then. It's holiday time, some people might be waiting to see it with their families. Get over it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So what was the scene added by request for use in the next movie? I can't think of anything that obvious besides benecio getting paid or his both sides argument. Maybe the books?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

There's no way he died a virgin. That dude fucks. Stop projecting yourselves onto Luke Skywalker.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, Mara Jade duh

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

AndyElusive posted:

There's no way he died a virgin. That dude fucks. Stop projecting yourselves onto Luke Skywalker.

The only person Luke maybe ever hosed was his sister.

R2 was in the room and didn't say poo poo even though it knew. IT KNEW

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just got back from seeing this again, and I enjoyed even more; wasn't expecting that oddly enough, haha. I think because the pacing issues in the first act or so became less apparent since I was aware of them, and it wasn't as jarring so everything played out smoother to me. Something I picked up on this time around was that Ben was covering up his betrayal towards Snoke by simultaneously moving his saber and Rey's. Pretty clever. That was a small gripe I had initially, how Snoke couldn't properly sense what was happening, but on second viewing it was more apparent to me how Ben was able to get around Snoke sensing his true motive. This movie owns.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

euphronius posted:

Why do characters religious ideas have to jive across time?

Specifically what I'm saying is that the problem isn't a reversal of expectations or a new perspective- it's that the rest of the franchise is simply ignored. This whole film is just wiping the slate clean, everyone agrees. It absolutely isn't subversive or an effective commentary like the prequels were on the originals or rogue one was on the prequels.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

teagone posted:

Just got back from seeing this again, and I enjoyed even more; wasn't expecting that oddly enough, haha. I think because the pacing issues in the first act or so became less apparent since I was aware of them, and it wasn't as jarring so everything played out smoother to me. Something I picked up on this time around was that Ben was covering up his betrayal towards Snoke by simultaneously moving his saber and Rey's. Pretty clever. That was a small gripe I had initially, how Snoke couldn't properly sense what was happening, but on second viewing it was more apparent to me how Ben was able to get around Snoke sensing his true motive. This movie owns.

Literally stolen from fight club of all things (where it made sense)

E or I guess the princess bride is a more apt comparison

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 21, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sinding Johansson posted:

Esb did a great job of Luke confronting his failed idealism. Tlj Luke is like what if he founded a Jedi school after episode 4 and episode 5 and 6 never happened to him.
Right; that’s why Yoda appears as his spirit guide.

Disney canon is that Episode 6 is ‘EU’ - a collection of plot points from wookieepedia, but not part of the narrative progression of the films. You can currently replace it with a text that reads “forty years later...”.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Remember that time when Nien Nunb and Lando Calrissian defeated the empire and got no credit because Luke was there and did nothing that in any way affected the outcome?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

This sequel trilogy keeps bringing up the fact that Finn was a janitor (when he was first introduced as a village attacking trooper) in the first order and this is how he knows things about layouts / systems in first order facilities.

Why would the first order need janitors to mop floors when they have droids?

Same goes for the resistance. Why do captains needs to stay behind with their ships to get killed by the first order when they have droids?

Did the galaxy forget why droids exist in the first place? In ANH we literally see c3po and r2d2 get sold to farmers as slaves.

G-III fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 22, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Remember that time when Nien Nunb and Lando Calrissian defeated the empire and got no credit because Luke was there and did nothing that in any way affected the outcome?

Luke managed to convince the right hand of the Emperor to not only turn on him, but merk the fucker. Destroying a planet killer is one thing,throwing the Emperor into the core of said planet-killer is entirely on another level.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MisterBibs posted:

Luke managed to convince the right hand of the Emperor to not only turn on him, but merk the fucker. Destroying a planet killer is one thing,throwing the Emperor into the core of said planet-killer is entirely on another level.

If Luke wasn't there the emperor would have been blowed up anyway. Vader killing him was inconsequential

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

G-III posted:

Why would the first order need janitors to mop floors when they have droids?

Same goes for the resistance. Why do captains needs to stay behind with their ships to get killed by the first order when they have droids?

to teach him some discipline probably

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

G-III posted:

Did the galaxy forget why droids exist in the first place? In ANH we literally see c3po and r2d2 get sold to farmers as slaves.

The rebellion in general and the resistance in particular do not see droids as expendable tools. BB-8 is basically Poe's co-pilot. The fact that jawas definitely do see them that way and uncle Owen had no qualms about erasing R-2's memory have no bearing on this.

And also going down with the ship is what the captain does in fiction.

Serf
May 5, 2011

BardoTheConsumer posted:

The rebellion in general and the resistance in particular do not see droids as expendable tools. BB-8 is basically Poe's co-pilot. The fact that jawas definitely do see them that way and uncle Owen had no qualms about erasing R-2's memory have no bearing on this.

Poe refers to BB-8 as "my droid"

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Usually that's taken to mean the captain is the last one off the ship, not that there're supposed to kill themselves...

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

Serf posted:

Poe refers to BB-8 as "my droid"

and shows great excitement and happiness at seeing it. At worst this shows that droids can be considered pets. Owned or not, they arent expendable thats my point.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Uh seeing droids as pets is just slavery but cheerful, like the characterization in this movie was awful, but the characters were cheerful

Serf
May 5, 2011

BardoTheConsumer posted:

and shows great excitement and happiness at seeing it. At worst this shows that droids can be considered pets. Owned or not, they arent expendable thats my point.

slightly less horrific than abject slavery, i suppose

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

r2 at least uses semantic language, i dont know about the white cuckball

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Waffles Inc. posted:

(Spoiler tags, y'all)

The film doesn't support a misogynistic reading of poe fully because of his borderline worship of leia and that crewmembers agree with his distust of Holdo (including women). Plus, Poe very obviously doesn't dislike or distrust women.

His "Battle of Chryon Belt Admiral Holdo? Not what I expected" is what a grunt would say to another about Lando in RotJ. What do you think the other pilots must have thought of Lando? Surely not, "here's this guy who has been tirelessly fighting for our freedoms, thank god it's him!". More likely it was, "...the businessman guy who ran a gas mine? ...what? Why shouldn't Wedge lead the attack?"

Hell, even Han is surprised at Lando: "Well look at you, a general"

His distrust rightfully comes from the fact that she appears to not actually have a plan--which she doesn't. Her plan is predicated on a non-existent piece of technology that she blindly puts her faith in. Poe and those who mutiny react rightly to someone who is coded in the Star Wars language for "rich and out of touch"; she echoes the passive senators from R1 and even more than that, the rich and out of touch folks of the Capital in the Hunger Games.

As I said in the other thread, it would be absolutely no different had Leia said that this guy was the new commander

Hmm, what kind of person might disrespect another because that other lacks a conventionally masculine appearance...

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

edit: gently caress it

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

When I saw TFA, I left the theater hating the movie. I think TFA is trash, a bad movie made by committee, without soul or passion. It's not art, it's garbage dressed up with nostalgia to rob you of your money.

On a personal level, I disliked TLJ, but as a movie, I'd say it's pretty ok.

One thing that I disliked is that it continues TFA's habit of meekly going where Star Wars has gone before, and for all it's talk about killing the past, it's certainly doing a good job of clinging on to it. Just because it tries to be clever by taking scenes from ESB and RotJ and subverting them (or going zag instead of zig, like another poster put it) it still doesn't change that it's still chaining itself to the OT by so clearly cribbing from it. I feel that if the point of the movie is that we should stop treating Star Wars like a holy scripture and be more creative, it completely undermined itself.

And despite my intense dislike of TFA, I feel like despite Abrams making GBS threads the bed with his stupid characters like Maz and Snoke (seriously? What kind of stupid name is Snoke?!) and faux mysteries like Snoke and Rey's parents, I feel like something more interesting could have been done with the setting than throwing it all out.

And Luke...well it's clear there are two camps, and I'm in the one that dislikes the characterization. I don't really feel OT Luke would ever pull a saber on his nephew. He might consider it, sure, but not actually do it. I feel that making him relearn the same lessons he supposedly learned back in empire and Jedi was dumb. It's a bit frustrating because again, it feels like the movie wants us to let go of the past, but it's doing it's damndest to hold on to it by evoking the characters of the OT, instead of their older and more mature versions. Han is still a scoundrel, Leia is still a guerilla fighter, Luke has still not learned anything.
Having said that, that's a matter of taste. I can absolutely see it as a legitimate decision to have Luke do what he did, but it kinda felt so...lazy? Like, we get the Rashomon scenes, which is nice, but we're never actually shown how or why Kylo is full of "darkness". They could have elaborated on this a bit, shown us more of young Kylo and actually show WHY Luke had misgivings and fears about him.

I liked the introduction to Monte Carlo: The planet. Echoing Kenobi's words about Mos Eisly but instead of it being smugglers and criminals, it's the aristocracy. That's about the only thing I liked about it. Like, it's trying to make social commentary about the rich exploiting the poor, but it's the weakest take ever. The movie is so scared of making a controversial statement they watered it down so much it's lost its meaning. They could have cut the whole monte carlo bit and lost very little. And that's a damning statement, because Finn is supposedly one of the main characters, but he contributes very little to the film. Can you imagine cutting out Han's part in Empire? Or Obi-Wans in AOTC?

I'm still having a hard time organising my thoughts about this movie, I feel like it's a jumbled mess, with some good ideas, but too scared to follow through with them. I think part of the problem is Abrams hosed the setting badly with TFA, and this is an attempt to clear the stupid poo poo off the table before they can actually go making interesting and good movies, but the problem is still that this movie suffers for the sins of TFA. It tries to make something interesting out of the hand it was dealt but didn't quite succeed.

One final thing I find a bit weird is the force. Like, the force has a will of it's own, clearly. It made Anakin to bring balance to the force, much like a forest fire reinvigorates the forest. It manipulates events so that it can accomplish it's own vague mysterious goals, sending out visions to it's chosen.

So. It gives Luke a vision of what Kylo will become, to push Luke into pulling a saber, thus fulfilling the vision. Much like it gives Anakin his dreams of Padme dying, driving him down the dark side. Basically the force is creating these horrible tyrants and despots, all in some vague attempt at "balance". Truly the greatest villain in Star Wars isn't Vader, or Palpetine, or Kylo. It's the force.

#Kreia was right

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

BardoTheConsumer posted:

If they love their droids so much then they could just like... download the droid's memories to portable storage and re-upload into a similar model droids when they get one. That's the advantage of machines and artificial intelligence.

The CIS used droids to fight a whole goddamn galactic war and yet the resistance can't even use them to pilot a ship when they're not on it? The resistance deserved all their losses and Luke should not have wasted his life to save their dumb asses

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

G-III posted:

If they love their droids so much then they could just like... download the droid's memories to portable storage and re-upload into a similar model droids when they get one. That's the advantage of machines and artificial intelligence.

The CIS used droids to fight a whole goddamn galactic war and yet the resistance can't even use them to pilot a ship when they're not on it? The resistance deserved all their losses and Luke should not have wasted his life to save their dumb asses

maybe they can't down load them because droid are people

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

homullus posted:

maybe they can't down load them because droid are people

This was my point and made much more succinctly. They don't do that because droids are people.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

McCloud posted:

#Kreia was right

Kotor 2 had a better unfinished story.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Hay guys. Just got back from Episode 6. It sucks. It fails on every conceivable level. They don't even tell us who Luke's mother is. What a crock of poo poo. My fan theory is that his mother is Mon Mothra but I guess we'll never know since this is the last movie. gently caress you Lucas. K bye.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

UmOk posted:

Hay guys. Just got back from Episode 6. It sucks. It fails on every conceivable level. They don't even tell us who Luke's mother is. What a crock of poo poo. My fan theory is that his mother is Mon Mothra but I guess we'll never know since this is the last movie. gently caress you Lucas. K bye.
It's true, Episode 6 would have been better if Mothra had been in it.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Rogue One is the best of these Disney Committee Star Wars films.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

viral spiral posted:

Rogue One is the best of these Disney Committee Star Wars films.

So you prefer movies that have one creative voice driving them? I know a trilogy that has one director and writer for the entire shebang.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

UmOk posted:

So you prefer movies that have one creative voice driving them? I know a trilogy that has one director and writer for the entire shebang.

I assume you're talking about the great LOTR trilogy and not those godawful, incoherent Star Wars prequels, yes?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Raxivace posted:

It's true, Episode 6 would have been better if Mothra had been in it.

That's not my only porblem with Episode 6. Who is this "Emperor" anyway? He really should have explained who he is to Luke before he was killed by Darth Nader. He should have been like "I was a senator from Naboo and also secretly a sith named Darth Sidious and I used my influence to trick Anikid Skywaker to turn on the Jedi and kill them while I wormed my way into being the supreme chancellor of the republic and oversaw the use of a clone army in pitching two sides of a galactic conflict against each other eventually leading to my ascension to Emperor when i created the new Empire and my face is all jacked up because Mace Windude used his purple laser sword to deflect my own power back at me. I also like Opera."

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

viral spiral posted:

I assume you're talking about the great LOTR trilogy and not those godawful, incoherent Star Wars prequels, yes?

In what way do you think they’re inchorent?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

wat

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

UmOk posted:

That's not my only porblem with Episode 6. Who is this "Emperor" anyway? He really should have explained who he is to Luke before he was killed by Darth Nader. He should have been like "I was a senator from Naboo and also secretly a sith named Darth Sidious and I used my influence to trick Anikid Skywaker to turn on the Jedi and kill them while I wormed my way into being the supreme chancellor of the republic and oversaw the use of a clone army in pitching two sides of a galactic conflict against each other eventually leading to my ascension to Emperor when i created the new Empire and my face is all jacked up because Mace Windude used his purple laser sword to deflect my own power back at me. I also like Opera."

the tragedy of darth plagueis the wise

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Phoneposting sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Tender Bender posted:

the tragedy of darth plagueis the wise

I really think we can assume that Snoke is (now was) Darth Plagueis:

Rian Johnson, puppet of Disney executives and thinktanks posted:

“It would have stopped any of these scenes dead cold if he had stopped and given a 30-second speech about how he’s Darth Plagueis…It doesn’t matter to Rey. If he had done that, Rey would have blinked and said, ‘Who?’ And the scene would have gone on…and I’m not saying he’s Darth Plagueis!”

It seems like he accidentally slipped up here before frantically attempting to correct himself. Snoke's disfiguration plausibly explains the attempt on his life by force lightning or whatever.