Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I still say they should have given CG Tarkin a practical Salacious Crumb type pet that was clearly a hand puppet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The prequels were prescient for the current political landscape that we currently find ourselves in if you've been blind to partisan politics for the past 60 years.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Anyone else get Spaceballs vibes when Poe pulled the space brakes and busted out that u-turn?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 28, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sunny Side Up posted:

Everyone has the force. Rose’s twin breathing deep before kicking the ladder is a beautiful example. That’s also why Finn and Rose can redeem Qui Gon’s sins of omission passively enabling slavery. And the beautiful thing is that with the culling of the rebels, they’re ripe for rebirth from royalists to truly caring about the proles.

The movie ends with a force user in slavery. Like, he's not going anywhere for the foreseeable future and is content with slave duties (using the force to grab his broomstick) and with the fact there's six more movies to fuel his escapist fantasies.

What you're doing is falling for lip service from an unreliable character. TLJ is not about smashing the past. It's about perpetuating the illusion of change while blue milking the familiarity of the franchise and pulling in another wave of ticket buyers.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 29, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

Then he should have shot those scenes on Earth in exotic locals and uses color grading and minimal CGI to dress things up so it doesn't look like Earth, like how the other films did it. The problem is that the prequels only had good CGI in certain parts and they're few and far between. Some interior areas looked ok, but anything that was outside, naturally lit or any sort of organic mass (aliens or plants) it looks like complete dogshit. Anything moving outside of robots looks awful.

AOTC is almost all greenscreened CGI horseshit and it looks like a video game. For ROTS the CGI had gotten noticeably better but it still wasn't good enough to make entire scenes CGI spectacles.

There were a ton of practical sets and scaled model work in AoTC.

https://makezine.com/2015/10/07/the-surprising-practical-effects-of-the-star-wars-prequels/

What you are doing is perpetuating an internet myth.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Which is hilarious because there is some really bad compositing in TLJ the pilots in the salt skiffs and Finn and Rose on the space llama being two sore thumb (yet not the only) examples.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Penpal posted:

Second and third Planet of the Apes movies are near flawless imo

Truth.

:hai:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was about to say, the review starts out pretty savage, but then it keeps going and you're like, oh yeah, it's Kojima.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

UmOk posted:

Fake news

You mean I'm suppose to use my loving eyes?! Those are only reserved for looking at poo poo like solar eclipses! And not with any of those pussy rear end lib glasses bullshit!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

"Compositing" has replaced "editing" as the chief prequel complaint.

It's fun watching internet nerds learn decades old industry terms and throw them around like pseudo experts.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

No one here is an expert. We're all just a bunch of nerds making GBS threads out opinions.

There's a few goons here who work in the industry, guy.

And no, I'm not talking about DarkPriest.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 31, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Also, the point wasn't about industry professionals, it was about goal post movers learning decades old industry terminology.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It's the "why don't I have to gas up my car in GTA" meme but realized.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 31, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The mechanical knowledge of "hit the dashboard" has been lost in the intervening 30 years... so many Resistance lives could have been saved...

They hosed up what could have been a cool callback moment to this when Luke enters the falcon's cockpit. It lights up and they play it up like it's this special sacred moment. They should have had the lights blink on and off and the sound of an engine trying to rev and dying instead of the holy reverence they tried to give it in this movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Death Star 2 actually is a poo poo concept, though.

TFA= it's like a planet sized Death Star!

TLJ= it's like a mini-sized Death Star!

Ep. VIIII= it's like a NEGA Death Star!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

nelson posted:

Best criticism I’ve heard so far, said by one of the guys who I went with to see it with: “It was entertaining but they’ve been using the same ships for 40 years that I saw back in the 70s. They should be flying newer better designs by now.”

But the x-wings are red now. And the Star Destroyers are slightly altered. They're totally different!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

And Snoke's flagship, the cop cars, and the speeders at the end.

You mean the not-Emperor's Super Star Destroyer, the not-Bespin cloudcars, and the not-Hoth snow salt speeders?

Yeah, those were great.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

*tosses your post over my shoulder, but not enough so you can't go and pick it up later*

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Then he should have chucked it into the ocean.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpXxGayuVLo

The first half of that deleted scene is canon and nothing is ever going to change my mind

Tatooine Mad Max movie when?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Idea:

Solo is a diegetic holo-biopic by alien director Ronhow Werd.

Rey saw a bootleg and that’s why she thinks the kessel run is real.

The diagetic empire theme playing in that registration center on Corelia makes more sense if the whole thing is an unreliable narrator trying to remember how the story went.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I mentioned it in the gbs thread, but I was getting some light Blankman vibes from that L3 scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOGSwRe-QPM

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

This kind of poo poo will eventually and seriously taint the franchise if it hasn't already.

These fans are going to poison the well and nobody in their right mind will want to act in a Star Wars movie.

Were people using this kinda hyperbole when internet fans were (still, actually) making GBS threads all over Ahmed Best and Jake Lloyd?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I know you're taking the piss but this is of course before we all saw and heard about the results of the kind of poo poo both got and keep getting for their involvement in Star Wars.

Tell that to the Star Wars Kid. Where's the cause from the current fandom to vindicate him from the abuse he suffered?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 5, 2018

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

As a contrast, I haven’t seen any reactionary Elysium or Chappie fans.

Chappie's too much of a subversion of the macho male wish fulfillment trope. There's a guy at my work who was all geeked about the movie up to release and when it came out, he hated how "childish" they made Chappie and how off-putting Die Antwood were.

He was expecting Terminator and got the creation of Adam story instead.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Canemacar posted:

Yes.

Is Black Panther very black?

Both movies are very green, because they are both cutthroat products of a cynical capitalist culture.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sounds like we need some kind of Toxic Avenger for these trying times.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

He had a funny way of following that up then, by becoming his apprentice in the Dark Side.

If dooku would've survived to see episode 3, he'd be in front of the burning Jedi temple with a Republic flag and when a Coruscant reporter would ask him what his goal was, he'd say "get to the temple, make the Jedi great again."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I always felt the quick embrace of the "Darth Jar Jar" meme by the fandom was a bit space racist, Jar Jar is nothing but altruistic and truthful throughout the prequel trilogy, but the majority of the fandom (including those who loudly proclaim the fandom should be all-encompassing) hated the character and his portrayal (which was co-signed by Ahmed Best, let's remember) so much, that they were quick to believe he was "evil all along" just on the strength of how much his otherness put them off.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

"The good old days from 2014."

:psyduck:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat, that summation makes the new trilogy sound like celebrity worshipping reality tv.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Luke feels he did something wrong and could no longer be trusted. That's why he sent himself into exile.

It's interesting that another poster views his retelling of events with "he simply forgot he ignited his light saber and had to be reminded when confronted with the truth" instead of "deliberately omitting an important piece of information to paint himself in a sympathetic light"

It's like Star Wars fans forgot we've already been around this block with Obi Wan's certain point of view bit.

Luke sees himself as Jack Torrance the ultimately altruistic and loving father from the book version of the Shining, instead of the Jack Torrance the guy was always a physically and emotionally abusive rear end in a top hat no matter how much he lied to himself from the movie version.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pictured: A character showing remorse and humility to the person he wronged.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ungulateman posted:

luke skywalker is a nasty old man i agree

He was training a new generation of child soldiers and thought "they weren't doing it right" instead of not realizing they shouldn't have been doing it at all.

Question for jivjov or anyone else familiar with the eu, did any other planets beside Naboo have children occupy positions in government?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It reads to me more like "radicalism made this term, radicalism is bad" and that using blanket terminology might not be a good thing, no matter how angry you are (like kylo).

Now that I think about it, maybe radicalism isn't the right term either. Militantism, maybe? Either way, it goes back to yoda's message, you can't fight hate with hate, otherwise you already lost to the dark side.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yaws posted:

Why did Ben Solo fall to the darkside? Because Luke attempted to kill him? Was he destined to because of his grandpap?

There's a lot to unpack when Luke reveals that "Snoke already turned Ben" while he was under his tutelage, which means

*Snoke was already consolidating power through the universe while Luke was in hiding with his students
*Luke was radicalizing these kids against the established government in secret
*Luke wanted to kick off Vietnam II

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 6, 2018

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

homullus posted:

She wasn't trying to "publicize" the Death Star plans. She was getting the plans to the Rebels so that they could blow it up. We know this because she took the plans to the Rebels, who were in hiding and going to try to blow it up, rather than going to somebody who could put the blueprint on GNN and affect the next election cycle (?)

From the opening crawl of A New Hope

quote:

Pursued by the Empire's
sinister agents, Princess
Leia races home aboard her
starship, custodian of the
stolen plans that can save
her people and restore
freedom to the galaxy.....Pursued by the Empire's
sinister agents, Princess
Leia races home aboard her
starship
, custodian of the
stolen plans that can save
her people and restore
freedom to the galaxy.....

She was on her way home to Alderaan, not to a rebel base.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Episode IX is going to start with a half-buried Jabba statue sticking out of a sand dune on Jakku.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The smartest thing the sequel trilogy has done is make Luke a clueless, dangerous old man who paved the road to hell with his good intentions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There should be head molds to go along with this so you can make those skulls look like them guys at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.