Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qubee
May 31, 2013

Barotrauma is a game about teamwork, leadership, critical thinking and believing in the power of stabbing your crewmates in the back friendship. This is not a game about rewiring doors to detonate the reactor, setting C4 charges around the submarine, or plasma cutting sections of wall away in the tin can you're all crammed into. The premise of the game is simple - you and a lucky few others are placed into a glorified sardine tin, and it's your task to carry out various mission objectives. These can range from simple "retrieve the artifact" quest types, to more difficult "sea monster hunting" quests. The crew are given unique roles, which are:

- Captain - the defacto leader of the submarine. His word is Law. He has a swanky all-access card that lets him get into any room of the submarine, as well as his safe space known as The Bridge. His sole job is to direct the crew and pilot the submarine. When the crew is faced with a difficult decision, it is the up to them to come up with a plan of action. A loyal crew will listen to his orders, but sometimes the Captain can be a comdom, and the crew should mutiny and throw his rear end out the airlock so that the sea monsters can deal with his poo poo. Examples of the Captain being a comdom are: shirking his duties to gently caress off on solo adventures, consistently piloting the sub like he's had a few too many drinks and is over the drink drive limit, grabbing a diving suit and harpoon gun and going off by himself to take on a sea monster like he's Captain Ahab incarnate, or just being a bossy jerk who can't stop breathing down the crew's neck.

- Security Officer - kind of like the Captain's second-in-command. Has access to The Bridge and generally maintains law and order on the sub. They are the most proficient with weapons on the submarine due to their high weapons skill, so are paramount to successful monster hunting quests, as their prowess with a harpoon gun is legendary. Certain occasions require the Security Guard to hunt down traitorous scum aboard the vessel, and prevent these villainous bastards from carrying out their (often) deadly objectives. However, most usually run around stun batoning anyone who doesn't worship the ground they walk on, and they'll usually rush off into the black depths and get eaten by a sea moloch. Especially long rounds will usually cause your typical Security Guard to become bored and run around the sub stunning and handcuffing everyone in order to airlock them.

- Engineers and Mechanics - the backbone of the vessel. Their jobs are to keep the reactor running smoothly and fixing breaches in the hull, respectively. Engineers excel at wiring, so are necessary when it comes to fixing broken systems, and are also good at fabricating components to ensure mission success. Mechanics are best at repairing breaches or welding shut doors, or getting into places they shouldn't be in.

- Medical Doctor - keeps the crew in tip top shape, when they're not trying to inject sea monster eggs into unwitting patients. Are able to revive downed crewmates and bring them back to full health. Can fabricate medicinal supplies, as the crew are usually unable to care for themselves properly and will almost always cause doctors to burn through supplies babying them.

- Assistant - they assist. Commonly referred to as "The Grey Tide", they're phenomenal cannon fodder and - in large enough groups - can overwhelm and annihilate even the most fearsome enemies. However, most Assistants typically become bored with their sad and pathetic excuses of a role and will prefer getting up to no good, such as breaking into the Security room to steal harpoon guns, rewiring airlock doors to always remain open and trying to stick multiple fuel rods into the reactor to initiate a deadly thermonuclear chain reaction (this is bad).

A crewmember making friends with a sea creature

A crew member attempting to put out a fire with a tank of pure O2

A crewmate reevaluating their life choices and the decisions they made to end up on this shitbucket they call a submarine

The Captain realizing things are FUBAR and that he's not paid near enough money to deal with this poo poo

Gamemodes:

-Artifact - track down an anomalous signal and retrieve whatever artifact is at the source. Sea monsters may or may not be in the way of this objective. This type of quest usually involves traversing through the deep sea caverns and pulling up outside the signal, so a select few prized and experienced crew members can suit up and disembark from the submarine to retrieve said artifact.

Sea Monster - hunt down a particular sea monster that is terrorizing the local populace.

Traitor - a bogus mission is given, whilst secretly a certain crew member has been chosen as a traitor. Their objective is to carry out a certain task whilst remaining undetected by the crew. It is up to The Captain and Security team to track down their devilish deeds and apprehend (ie airlock) said traitor.

Discord Link: https://discord.gg/KCpyQQX
Discord will only be used for organizing games. VOIP ruins the immersion of this game, and it's better when people stick to local chat or radio chat. If there were 10 people in a voice channel on Discord, it'd ruin a lot of the fun.

The game is really good fun and there are moments that will have your stomach aching from how much you're laughing at the sheer silliness of it all. It has been updated a lot since the last time people were playing it and it's now at least 5x more enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

This game is pretty alright but playing with pubs seems very dicey.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

This game is pretty alright but playing with pubs seems very dicey.

Pub games are always dicey, you'll get that shitter who starts having a tantrum because things aren't going his way and he'll just RDM everyone.

Which is why I posted this thread, a Goon game would be really fun.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I have decided this game is good.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Thing looks pretty neat, will have to give it a go soon.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Has anyone tried using the submarine editor?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

Has anyone tried using the submarine editor?

I used it months ago, it seemed quite nice. It gives you full reign, you can design a sub from the ground up and wire everything how you want.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Some streamers took a look at the game and now the population's exploded.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so the discord link in the OP doesn't work. any chance there's any goons playing this game? it seems really fun but i never have enough friends who are around + want to play the game for it to be worth it

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I removed the Discord cause it was dead and the only dialogue was between me and one other guy.

Was hoping it'd be a tad more active with Goons organizing games, but it never really worked out. I've also been in the same boat where I've not got enough friends for it to be worth it. Tried a few times with 4 of us in total, but things always poo poo the bed really hard, really fast, and there weren't enough of us to fix it in time before a cascade effect happened.

Try your luck with public servers, but be prepared for shitters to ruin things every now and then.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I'm very into this game, but even as a mechanic/electrician I have no idea what's going on 2/3 of the time. Trying to diagnose a leak/why a button isn't doing something seems almost impossible in the time you're given, especially in some of the giant floating autism palaces with 30 different wired up systems with increasingly vague and poorly worded instructions. I'm not the brightest gamer but working on these ships feels like trying to maintain a U boat without knowing German. Which to be fair is really the only thing keeping me interested in the game at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Tbh, the main things for each class are:

Mechanic - You fix holes in the hull, that's your main priority. Then after that, it's fixing devices, like the engines, reactor (I believe?), and whatever else is damaged. Only you can fix the engines and stuff.

Electricians - Run around repairing Junction Boxes when stuff malfunctions. Keep the reactor going. Rewire doors if some idiot takes buttons off or creates a death trap.

That's pretty much all there is to it. You shouldn't have to be getting indepth with the wiring system each game unless someone is purposefully loving things up. All you gotta do is run about checking things are working, especially after the reactor has put out too much power and shorted a bunch of systems. You can faff about as an electrician when things are going smoothly: set up some funky wireless system that allows the captain to control all doors simultaneously, or manually shutdown the reactor from the bridge. QOL stuff that doesn't have a huge impact but is pretty cool to pull off.

• Locked thread