Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/oct/10/call-for-athletes-to-be-fitted-with-microchips-fight-against-drug-cheats

quote:

Athletes need to be fitted with microchips, in a similar way that dogs are, in the fight against drug cheats in sport, according to a leading representative of international sports people.

Mike Miller, the World Olympians Association chief executive, claimed that radical anti-doping methods – including implants to recognise the effects of banned substances – are needed to protect clean sport.

“Some people say we shouldn’t do this to people,” Miller said. “Well, we’re a nation of dog lovers, we’re prepared to chip our dogs and it doesn’t seem to harm them, so why aren’t we prepared to chip ourselves?”

Miller claims a breakthrough in microchip technology is on the horizon and testers need to be aware of developments. His fear is that drug cheats could exploit the technology to avoid detection through self-monitoring, alerting them when their blood has returned to “normal” levels before testers arrive.

As someone who isn't an athlete and wants clean sport I'm all for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i say chip em all, and let the computer god sort them out

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Just make doping a part of the sport. Before every game I wanna see mad chemists from both teams doing wrestling style pre match interviews about how their new serum is gonna turn the players into unstoppable hulk like beasts who will crush everything in their path.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i personally don't like watching people die so thats a bad idea

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
sure

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Chemical enhancement for all op

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
No of course not, what are ya simple?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
doping and not getting caught is all part of the game

:dealwithit:

that said, yes...i believe pro athletes should be microchipped so their chains may be seen by all

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

microchip and drug test all millionaires

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

comparing athletes to dogs is extremely normal

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why do I want my teams players to be constantly suspended?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure the chipped athletes can cry themselves to sleep in their Scrooge McDuck vaults of cash somehow.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I'm sure the chipped athletes can cry themselves to sleep in their Scrooge McDuck vaults of cash somehow.

Most Olympic athletes pay their own way for everything and are broke as gently caress.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
who tf microchips their dogs to prevent doping

if a very fast doggo wants to run at incredible hihg speed, what method he uses to attain that speed is his business

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Duscat posted:

who tf microchips their dogs to prevent doping

if a very fast doggo wants to run at incredible hihg speed, what method he uses to attain that speed is his business

most people chip their pets so they can find them again if they get lost, not so that they can constantly monitor doggo's blood hormones in case he's sneaking steroids at night

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I chipped my cat so they can find it after it kills me in my sleep.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if my pet was on the juice i'd definitely want to know

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Lawman 0 posted:

Chemical enhancement for all op

w a y a h e a d o f y o u

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

the bitcoin of weed posted:

most people chip their pets so they can find them again if they get lost, not so that they can constantly monitor doggo's blood hormones in case he's sneaking steroids at night

i feel like there should be a :rainierpop:

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

the bitcoin of weed posted:

And it's for that reason that athletes should be microchipped too. Athletes getting lost is the number one cause of olympic meddling.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWyYQf8XJ-g&t=74s

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Thoguh posted:

Most Olympic athletes pay their own way for everything and are broke as gently caress.

So they turn to drugs out of poverty reasons? that's sad.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

they'll all die off camera

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

they'll all die off camera

there have been a number of footballers around europe dying on the pitch in recent years

roomforthetuna posted:

And it's for that reason that athletes should be microchipped too. Athletes getting lost is the number one cause of olympic meddling.

mo farah apparently gets lost inside his own home when its time to be drug tested

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
here they're called crisps, "chips" refers to fries

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I like my silicon wafers baked, not fried

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

rudatron posted:

I like my silicon wafers baked, not fried

same but athletes

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

the whole ped thing seems extremely arbitrary and i think all athletes should be allowed to do as much hgh as they want so they can grow the enormous palumboism they all dream of

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

What a coward.

Just let them dope. They are doing it anyway, antidoping is so far behind doping that it's a farce. Just let it happen so that it can happen in a safer manner than Riccardo Ricco giving himself a blood transfusion at home and almost killing himself in the process.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

if you allow it its just a race to who can dope the most before dying

also saudi drifting accident videos are real entertaining

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So they turn to drugs out of poverty reasons? that's sad.

outside of certain sports, being an athlete isn't a paid job unless you're already a super famous medal-winning top athlete who consistently ranks at or near the top and can get advertising and endorsement deals

if you go to the Olympics and get fourth place, you won't make a single cent

up until a couple decades ago, it was even worse because the Olympics were nominally supposed to be for "amateur" athletes only and therefore outright banned professional athletes who were paid to do sports

them turning to drugs has a lot more to do with the incredibly vague line between "drug" and "totally legal performance-enhancing substance". the immense pressure to win leads modern athletes to abuse their bodies in every way that might possibly increase their performance, including cramming themselves full of sketchy chemicals and supplements...except for an arbitrary list of banned substances which largely exists to preserve the illusion that there's anything natural, fair, or amateur about modern athletics

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its important to remember that rich athletes have access to the best drugs and the ones least likely to be detected giving them yet another advantage.

a life time ban if you get caught for first offenses would be good too

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i think we should microchip everyone

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Okay then. Any paid athlete gets to be chipped for the privilege of being paid to run and jump or whatever. If they "find" money but are not officially paid, it's chip town at their face's house or neck or butt or whatever.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
chris benoit did nothing wrong

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
If I have to microchip my dog it seems like a no brainer to chip sports peeps

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Bip Roberts posted:

chris benoit did nothing wrong

That reminds me, did you ever get around to buying that couch?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

much like dogs, humans should be microchipped, to prevent cucking

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Karl Barks posted:

i think we should microchip everyone

hail satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
also, athiests should be microchipped to prevent doping

• Locked thread