Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

didn't boar name his successor before she was driven insane by her jealous sister?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

She casually murdered animals and the like well before that. Her sister just brought the pre-existing crazy further out.

i mean this is a tournament full of mentally unhinged people, i don't think default mode for the little sister was bad enough to throw her in as some sort of sacrifice. you could argue it was seen more as a strong point, even.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

That's certainly what Niwatori thought herself, but I'm not entirely sure. Since Monkey's skill is "transmutation of all things," I can see that being used on nebulous concepts like aggression and deception to transmute them into passivity, protection, honesty etc. and that'd fit that sequence of events fine. The biggest reason I don't think it was entirely One Man Army is that Niwatori died actively protecting Sharyu which doesn't entirely fit.

The post you quoted detailed exactly what the book said on the matter and nothing more or less, so there's not a ton to be sure of. Monkey using her power never comes up in regards to Chicken, while Chicken blames One Man Army and Rat says that Monkey's idealistic pacifism weakened her. The two combined would explain it sufficiently, imo. I also don't think Monkey would be the type to resort to chemical influence, seeing how loath she is to use her power in any situation.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the monkey and rat conversation this episode was one of my favorite parts in the book and really endeared me to both characters. I'm still confused about the decision to show ox vs horse, a fight that concluded last week, in this episode though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

what the gently caress

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if they don't kill everyone in that ep I'm gonna riot

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Davincie posted:

snake, boar, dog and bird died. they say they need 3 more. they explicitly mention not counting the corpse. someone isn't actually dead. or its an error?

it definitely sounds like Duodecuple is saying three. this bit of the story occurs in the book after the war is actually down to six fighters, so this is all on the anime reordering and changing things.

another thing to note about it, since someone brought it up: the war is framed a bit differently in the book. the warriors enter into it to fulfill their given wish (though declining an invitation is also noted to be unheard of) and are completely unaware of the betting aspect. the rich and powerful are meanwhile wagering wealth and countries upon the outcome. it's not necessarily meant to resolve ongoing conflicts and nobody involved on the fighting or betting side is explicitly associated with any given nations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

book stuff related to that:

her power is described almost like a contract where she provides something to the birds (food via corpses) in exchange for their aid. the two factors that limited her effectiveness in this war were there being fewer(?) birds in the city than a location closer to wilderness, and stripping boar to a skeleton filled up what remained of her army at that point. i don't really get how the first point is a thing, and the second is totally arbitrary, but if she just had them divebombing contestants i don't see how she could maintain a large enough force of birds to do much. it seems like her best chance would be to swoop in towards the end and pick off a remaining few fighters, if her birds could even do that much.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

She was also lamenting how many birds had to die to take down Boar, so she doesn't have unlimited birds (and probably cares about them too)

Also if Monkey can just palm slap them all down, Ox would probably just eviscerate them all anyway

not to mention sheep blowing them to hell, and they probably wouldn't be able to affect horse

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

It's just the nature of a battle royale, I suppose. :(

Also, I've read that there's a one-shot that takes place after the war AND that Nisio, ever the little scamp, will release a sequel to this novel soon. Because of course he wants all my money.

I'm hoping Viz continues the media push and releases the sequel oneshot (it was part of some anthology) in addition to whatever new stuff he decides to write. dunno if i gushed about it in here yet but the hardcover of the novel they did is really nice, as is the translated manga being free (paced to avoid spoiling the show!), even if i think it's by far the weakest version of the story.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

jng2058 posted:

So it occurs to me that presuming the betting, as it appears, is sports book style with everyone competing individually against the house, then by totally underselling Rat ("who has yet to do anything") they're totally spiking the players into losing big if rat does indeed come out ahead in the end. This is even more vicious if the house themselves have figured the death pattern out, in which case they may know that Rat's gonna win!

i don't think the death pattern is a thing in-universe

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

rabbit is controlling snake

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

gasoline ain't alcohol

lol

I'm glad we're finally at this point

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Man, that was... incredibly by-the-numbers for Nisio, to be quite honest. Little Brother gets chumped due to his own power distracting him. And monkey lady. :cry:

all the flashback stuff was made up for the anime as usual. the snake and dragon bio pages at least establish their dynamic in a way that was built up in the stuff about them being thieves, but everything with rabbit killing snake was cooked up without a single word of basis in the novel

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mordja posted:

Considering their contemporaries, Snake and Dragon seem pretty low-rent, considering their entire backstory is "committed a bunch of smash and grabs."

^^^^^^^E: Wait, what? So Snake is still alive in the books?

no, the book just never details how rabbit killed him

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the brothers are not interesting characters despite how long they've lasted, and the anime definitely padded so they could better pace the rest of the show.

between this and the three-week stretch where they held off on deaths, it feels like this show would be stronger on a binge.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Whoa, all of it? So all the flashbacks are made up of stuff that's barely mentioned in passing / vaguely implied in the book?

Well, I guess you have to make up due to the fact that it's just a standalone book.

yeah, each fighter has a bio page separate from the actual content of their chapter and the anime has been reworking that/expanding it into the backstories in each episode. the content of the book is entirely focused on the juni taisen except for the short derail in horse's chapter to explain the rules/side betting.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i suppose if nobody gets around to it i'll get to posting the character bios tomorrow but in the meantime the chat of the Snake/Dragon families made me curious to go back and see what zodiac families are established in the book

Boar - born into the Ino family
Dog - no family affiliation
Chicken - adopted into the Niwa family
Monkey - raised by the monkey sages
Sheep - married into the Tsujie family, clients he had as an arms dealer
Horse - born into the Soma family
Snake/Dragon - the current in a long line of Tatsumi Brothers

so treating Snake and Dragon as some sort of two-family group is a bit of liberty on the anime's part. if they were branches on the same tree i could see a cooperative Taisen team being beneficial in either obtaining the wish or having greater odds in the shadow betting. without knowing the results of past Taisens it's hard to judge if this is viable, but the current Tatsumis also seem far too individualistic and/or tied to each other that just follow along with stuffy old clan rules.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a cute bit related to snake's book bio: in the warehouse flashback he's stealing a caged reptile

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Condiv posted:

well, it kinda sucks i have to read the bio to figure poo poo out on the show

that entire flashback sets the brothers up as petty thieves who have a competition to steal the most expensive thing, it being some exotic reptile is just a nod to the book rather than anything essential.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/artbooksNat/status/930955276597039105

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it only needs to be more valuable than what Dragon stole, which in that case was nothing. but i don't see why it would be assumed to be a worthless lizard being transported illegally.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Yeah, it's kind of poor writing. Like, the fact that anyone is underestimating anyone else in this competition (outside of Boar due to her characterization) is kind of ridiculous. They should all be well aware that everyone is a seriously skilled warrior, yet they keep letting their guards down.

this Taisen was going to draft a Sheep that was in grade school (and Rat is a teenager) so there's really no guarantee the contestants will have a significant level of skill. there are also contestants like Tiger, Rabbit, Horse, and Rat(?) who are coming into this with little or no reputation. but this is all stuff that's hard to judge without significant knowledge of past Taisens i suppose.

re: Monkey's fight with Rabbit. in the book, it's insanely short and her thought process is detailed as 1) being a bit unstable after being forced to attack the zombie birds and 2) rather than having any sort of hubris, she sees an opportunity to incapacitate Rabbit and begins to think rapidly along that line instead of considering other options. i suppose that is a sort of hubris, but it's not conveyed in a way that comes off as her looking down on him.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anyway i don't mean for the book stuff to act as some sort of defense of the anime, since i feel like while the show is interesting it's really hurt by how it has executed this rearranged version of events, in addition to some very mixed attempts at expanding character backstory.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sheep has no special power (due to age), and Old Timer was basically his equivalent to one.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

graphinica is a studio primarily known for cg work, iirc

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i can't​ speak to specifics but the studio on this being geared towards cg may account for weaker 2d like with last week. i haven't seen this week's ep yet but wouldn't be surprised that production issues from earlier have continued to pile up and affect even their "specialty." of course, outsourcing could account for this too. :shrug:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if everyone except rabbit dies, i don't know what the taisen staff would do. rabbit can only give simple orders to his corpses so yeah i don't see his corpse redeeming the wish or anything but technically he would be the winner?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ox, tiger, and rat are the good characters. but also rip anime-only boar, anime-only chicken, and monkey.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

no announcement on whether the sequel novel will get translated though :sigh:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm gonna need Viz to translate that asap

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

cancer is the girl in the wheelchair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

nah, i definitely felt like the story was intentionally crafted to buck some common ideas or versions of battle royale stories. like the book going out of its way to mention how monkey's plan was never revealed in all 100 paths rat traveled made me laugh at how nisio would be so petty in denying the audience. at that point i suppose you just have to ask if you find any value in that, and for me the answer was yes...though moreso for the book version than the show.

• Locked thread