Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Playing as Chairman Yang and just ICS is pretty trolly, especially if he gets the +1 Talent/base secret project or finds the rain forest. The Morganites running Free Market and finding the bore-hole cluster is pretty funny. Using helicoptors, at all. (they are the best unit in the game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

he'd waste all his energy credits on rushing hologram theatres to play anime at his talents, turning them into drones

lol @ not just playing the university and rushing the virtual world.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Helianthus Annuus posted:

lmao

btw i got dunked on by the comptuer in single player, am i a bad player?

Yes. But tbf, you need to understand how to "game" the mechanics or you'll get dunked on whenever you play the cheating difficulties. Basically learn how to do an ascension victory in <100 turns, then you can play the game on transcend.

e: http://www.dos486.com/alpha/

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 19, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Luigi Thirty posted:

how are you going to process the artifact without a network node? :smug:

university?

Also cash in to hurry the weather project

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

an unfortunate lack of a sense of duty, which i'm sure the hive is just yearning to correct. with nerve gas pods. which the hive should be putting on everything once available because it's the only way to play the hive. infantry? yes. transport ships? of course. probe teams? never know when you're gonna need a bit of the old chairman yang private reserve

They are so ridiculously good in MP, that they are usually banned. Lol when the first person gets them (in 2 real-time years) and the game ends with no one else even close to competing.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Glorgnole posted:

i think the 1st mind worm you encounter always has some crippling debuff, and also is a guaranteed capture if you have > 0 Planet in society engineering

The early mindworms all have -50% attack/defense. Their attack malice becomes a bonus as the turns get higher and also as the total number of mineral's used by all players increases. They are just modeled as "experience" of the mind worms afaik. So yea, early on it's unusual for even formers/colony pods to die to mind worms.

Also I'm pretty sure that capture rate is a flat % based on your planet score, 1 = 10%, 2 = 20% etc, etc. But it's possible there are hidden modifiers idk for sure.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

not all mindworms can be captured if i recall. even if you're some hippie running naked in the fungus fields with +5 planet, i think some of those spawned by excessive mineral production or similar events will just give you a message like "empaths report worms are controlled by some vastly more powerful mind" or something

i may have found this out the hard way in a game where i was fairly liberal with my usage of planetbusters. i think i'm still under un sanctions for a couple more centuries thanks to that

Yea there are special events known as "pops" where the mind worms can't be captured. But those are awesome, because you wipe out the stack with your dream-twister empath units and get like 1000+ free energy credits.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's so very frustrating that civ exploded into three franchises: smac, civ 3, and civ:ctp

out of the three, the worst one survived. civ 3, 4, 5, and 6 have all been awful

Civ 4 was really good though and still holds up today.

I do wish the features of Civ:CTP would come back in another series.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

aren't you playing as the university? because then you should assume everyone else has all the techs you have. because they stole them from you. because this game's portrayal of security on academic network is probably one of the most realistic things in it

Gotta have probe teams for that and well lets just say you guys are a bit behind the curve as it were.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Boiled Water posted:

about that: Has any civ game post SMAC had terrain elevation beyond "this is a hill, that's a mountain"?

Only as far as map generation goes, the geo-engineering hasn't been included in any engine since.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

cheese-cube posted:

edit: oh if anyone cares i found a unity hydrology pod that uncovered a river (snore) and im in position to build a base right in the middle of sunny mesa aww yeah.

Nice.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

hobbesmaster posted:

grats on your unity chopper outside of of the range of your bases

That's ok, you can go something like 3 turns without refueling, so you have a very high likely hood of being able to recover a unity chopper no matter where it is.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

anthonypants posted:

guess who made the first discovery since planetfall motherfuckers

lol

The first turn taken was Nov 10th, 2017.

At this rate we will be on alpha centauri irl before this game finished.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Luigi Thirty posted:

zakharov complete

maybe i'll have this REDACTED built by 2019

SMH if it's not the human genome project instead of the weather paradigm.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

anthonypants posted:

sure but at this stage in the game, everyone's got level 1 bases (unless someone starts with a level 2?) and more workers to consume more resource tiles helps build speeders or colony pods or w/e

Has it really only been <10 turns? If anyone has a nutrient bonus they should have at least 2 pop in their starting bases.

e: also didn't someone find a unity chopper?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Glorgnole posted:

i have tried this and it only lets you use them if they're already in a base, so they're basically an expensive passenger airline service

I remember building colony needle jets and founding bases with them. maybe some kind of balance patch? did you put a sea-colony pod instead of a land colony pod on it?

I don’t remember if you could do that or not.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

raminasi posted:

hey look it's richard baxton irl

Nice!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

cheese-cube posted:

you'll never silence my dreams!

:allears:

edit: i wonder if it's possible to mod the game so that you can add special abilities to missiles? imagine a planet buster with nerve gas pods and clean reactor
I think lots of the abilities are restricted by chassis. But I'd imagine with some light XML-ish editing you could give missiles nerve gas pods.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
How many turns until university discovers the "secrets of the human brain"? Then does the pro-move and grabs Centauri Empathy with the free tech?

Then once you have recycling tanks in your bases you can run Green, and amass a mind worm army.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Luigi Thirty posted:

we have random techs so 2050

You still get the guided tech thing right? In which case you go Green->White->White (secrets)->Green

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

oh boy... i don't mind random tech when playing against the AI, but for mp it just seems too arbitrary. there's just too big a gap between how useful some techs are compared to others

you might get doctrine: air power next turn, OR you might get... some tech so unremarkable that i forgot its name and also it unlocks a whole lot of techs that are also not doctrine: air power

Optical Computers.

It could be interesting if the random tech-tree was the same for each faction for MP. So while you may not get doctrine: air-power for a long time, neither will anyone else.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

anthonypants posted:

from left to right:
pirates (smoka)
gaians (sagebrush)
university (luigi30)
hive (cheese-cube)
drones (imp. lobster)
believers (boiled water)
spartans (anthonypants)

from top to bottom:
pirates/university
hive
spartans
drones
gaians
believers

It should be noted that the main difference between the Pirates and the Gaian's and the believers at this phase of the game is the number of techs and the number of bases. Since I'd reckon 3 techs is the most discovered so far, the Gaian's have 2, and the pirate/university have 3 and probably everyone has 2 bases and 3-4 total pop.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

anthonypants posted:

maybe also number of units? i think that time i dipped in the chart must've been that turn where my rover got murdered by mind worms (rip)

Yes, specifically the "power" of the units, which at this point is dwarfed by number of techs/population.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Roosevelt posted:

this thread is almost as exciting as watching old people gently caress

That's my fetish, so yea I'm super into it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

i realize morgan isn't in this game but why the hell are the hippies of all factions the wealthiest ones?

they can't even run free market!

I'd assume the gains have been capturing/killing more worms then most other factions, plus early on free-market/morganites aren't that great, you need multiple bases and improvement to really reap those benefits.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

anthonypants posted:

because I felt bad for miriam

Please wipe out a faction ASAP, the weak should fear the strong (also every faction eliminated makes the following turns go faster).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

raminasi posted:

p sure it's actual claimed territory

It's claimed territory, but only counts land territory. So pirates may have like 6 bases, but you'd never know it from the territory graph.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Glorgnole posted:

EXTREMELY EXCITED TO MOVE A COLONY POD AN ADDITIONAL SQUARE OH BOY

Why aren't you building a colony on the garland crater like 2 sq NE of the nutrient bonus. That would be a good base for production and energy imo.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
You can also create your own landmarks in game. I don't think you can share them with other players until Civ4 though.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

anthonypants posted:

folks you gotta wonder: who's gonna be the first faction to break this rule

Fusion Cruisers.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

anthonypants posted:

"yarrrrr", indeed

meanwhile, your noble planetary governess' subjugation of the lesser races continues apace

here's the chart

the year is now 2139

Wow, Smoka is a trash pirates player. didnt' even build the first naval vessal, lol.

Glorgnole posted:

i decided that the north base site (between the monolith and the energy north of the crater) would be a better place for a colony right now than the southern site by the falls. reasons include being coastal, wet, having a monolith, and having sea energy, so the colony pod's headed there instead.

i'm workin on the gang tag. i know it's a weird thing to spend too long on but i don't want it to be bad/lame.

I thought you couldn't build a base on xenofungus?

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 1, 2018

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Nah cruiser tech is far up in the tech tree relatively, that milestone is just for building an armed 2 or 4 vessal, foil's count. I think he just didn't build a an armed foil, and I don't think building a 1/1 foil counts but I may be wrong. It was a mostly tongue-in-cheek comment.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Actually, that milestone picture looks like the ship has Impact guns on it, but it isn't dynamically generated is it?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Glorgnole posted:

if it goes like my early naval expeditions always do it'll sail out 7 squares before being eaten by an isle of the deep

For the spartans they don't have to worry too much about this because they start with moral bonus's. When it's this early, only green units have to worry about hatchling Isle's of the deep, of course that doesn't mean it can't happen, it's just much less likely.

And of course two isles of the deep within 5 turns of each other shift the odds way in their favor.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pile Of Garbage posted:

nah not dynamically generated, it's just a static image. would be cool if it was dynamic...

Even if they were pre-generated I'd be pretty impressed (you'd only need like 6 images max).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Just build the virtual world, problem solved.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i found out the hard way that if your pop is too low then building a colony pod will fail but only after it's finished building lol.

re the graph, did the believers complete a secret project or something?

Secret project would be announced to everyone in game right? Maybe they discovered impact weapons and built 2 impact infantry?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Glorgnole posted:

when i was rooting through the archives of one of the original SMAC sites i found examples of the pre-alpha layout and art and i thought they had a cool aesthetic

looks like the meeting to decide what a jet fighter should look like in the future happened fairly early in the design process

cool as gently caress.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Glorgnole posted:

i don't think those particular sprites are in the assets bundled with the game

though there are some other unusual things in there, such as: brian reynolds, faction leader

It's from the faction editor thing that was including in SMAX. It's basically a demo of how to create your own custom faction including art assets, since good game designers actually care about such things. Same reason the world-editor exists in Civ4 (and SMAC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SmokaDustbowl posted:

they would have had to start it from the very beginning turn to get it now anyway

That's the pro move though. You never start a secret project unless you can finish it that turn.