Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve2911 posted:

Why is 'Pizza! You guys..!' not an adorable YouTube sensation yet?

For some reason the whole "You want a sandwich?" conversation is hilarious to me. The guy who played Kemper should legit get an award.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

precision posted:

For some reason the whole "You want a sandwich?" conversation is hilarious to me. The guy who played Kemper should legit get an award.

Very possible. I think he'd qualify for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama, at the Emmys. This year, Major Dad won for that weepy ABC show with Jess Mariano, so I could see this outcome.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Am I wrong, or do guys who play serial killers well to the degree that the Kemper actor did (forget his name) not typically get awards? I see inspiration roles and biographical roles get more awards than anything.

Also, he played Kemper so well that I'd be no-poo poo scared of the actor if I saw him on the street.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He nailed it. Watching interviews with Kemper then this dude playing him, it's so uncanny.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Watching Holt McCallany work makes me wish there was an Expendables style movie with gruff tough guy actors like Michael Shannon, Kieth David, Dean Norris, Stacy Keach, etc.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

life is killing me posted:

Am I wrong, or do guys who play serial killers well to the degree that the Kemper actor did (forget his name) not typically get awards? I see inspiration roles and biographical roles get more awards than anything.

Also, he played Kemper so well that I'd be no-poo poo scared of the actor if I saw him on the street.

Well there was this one fella named Anthony Hopkins...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dmitri-9 posted:

Watching Holt McCallany work makes me wish there was an Expendables style movie with gruff tough guy actors like Michael Shannon, Kieth David, Dean Norris, Stacy Keach, etc.

Watching Holt makes me wish he was audiobook narrator. His voice is fantastic. Also he's the son of Julie Wilson which is just loving awesome. I would imagine that he and Groff just bonded immediately over that fact.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Frankly Shepard asking Ford if he was the "thought police" was kind of a joke considering COINTELPRO.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

X-O posted:

Watching Holt makes me wish he was audiobook narrator. His voice is fantastic.

Another guy who narrates audio books? Edmund Kemper!

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-01-29/news/mn-2252_1_blind-couple

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Is Wendy's cat a Schrodingers Cat reference?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

life is killing me posted:

Charlize Theron won a slew

IMB posted:

Is Wendy's cat a Schrodingers Cat reference?

I decided the ants meant the cat died due to some local youth who is a future serial killer

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

precision posted:

Hey, I don't blame him. All the interesting music of that time was happening in like, Germany or the deep South, the world hadn't yet really cottoned on to the idea of interesting music that's also popular; the Beach Boys probably come closest, until New Order's "Blue Monday".

what are you talking about guy

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dmitri-9 posted:

McCallany and Keach were both in Lights Out and it was a great combo. I don't think there's anywhere to watch that show now, though.

Profiling is a load of bull, but I'm willing to suspend my distaste for it because this show is excellent.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Just when I thought this show was already pitch perfect, a gay Lena Olin appeared.

It's like Fincher has cracked open my skull.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

esperterra posted:

Just when I thought this show was already pitch perfect, a gay Lena Olin appeared.

Oh that's Lena Olin? She comes up in crosswords all the time but I've never looked her up.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lena Olin is dope af.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

esperterra posted:

Irina Derevko's in this thing? I need to pick up my pace watching the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Art Alexakis posted:

what are you talking about guy

During the time period this show takes place in, the most interesting music being made was either in Germany (Amon Duul, Can, Neu!, etc) or America's deep South (jazz and blues). The most interesting thing on the radio was the Beach Boys' "Wild Honey", which isn't saying a lot.

:stare:

holy poo poo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
sounds like someone's forgetting about a little genre called DISCO

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm trying to! :mad:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's like, you know the show takes place about a decade after any of your references were relevant right?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

howe_sam posted:

Irina Derevko's in this thing? I need to pick up my pace watching the show.

Mona Demarkov is always my first Lena Olin point of reference, ngl. I love Romeo is Bleeding more than a human ever should.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

precision posted:

:stare:

holy poo poo

I should have drawn a bit more attention to that, because it's insane and amazing and weirdly fits with what we see of Kemper:

quote:

For 27 years prisoners at Vacaville have been recording books--best sellers, textbooks, mysteries, science fiction, Westerns, children's books and cookbooks--on tape for blind men, women and children all over America.

It is the oldest and largest projects of its kind in the nation.

"Their visit here is so special for us. We get letters of thanks from our blind patrons, but they never come inside the prison to meet us," said Edmund E. Kemper III, 38, the inmate who runs the program.

Kemper, a confessed mass murderer, has read onto tape cassettes more books for the blind than any other prisoner. He has spent more than 5,000 hours in a booth before a microphone in the last 10 years and has more than four million feet of tape and several hundred books to his credit.

Two large trophies saluting Kemper for his dedication to the program, presented by supporters outside the prison, are on display in the Volunteers prison office, which has eight recording booths, two monitor booths and a battery of sophisticated tape duplication equipment.

"I can't begin to tell you what this has meant to me, to be able to do something constructive for someone else, to be appreciated by so many people, the good feeling it gives me after what I have done," said the 6-foot, 9-inch prisoner.

Kemper is serving a life sentence for his 1973 conviction on eight counts of murder in a case that drew national attention. Kemper murdered and dismembered his mother, her best friend and six Santa Cruz-area women. He had previously been confined for five years at Atascadero State Hospital after he confessed to killing his grandparents when he was 15. He had been released from Atascadero when psychiatrists concluded that he was no longer dangerous.

Gardiner and Eames have corresponded with Kemper and the other prisoners for some time, but this was their first face-to-face meeting. The blind couple said it was an opportunity for "meeting the voices" that have entertained and enlightened them through the medium of recorded books.

Their prison friends asked them what it is like to be blind, how they function, how the public reacts to their handicap. The blind couple wanted to know what life is like for the inmates, how they would improve the prison system, what they think of the death penalty.

Eames, a strong advocate of the death penalty, expressed surprise when some of the men agreed with him.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I hope season 2 is entirely about Holden trying to avoid hearing star wars spoilers

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mulva posted:

It's like, you know the show takes place about a decade after any of your references were relevant right?

I actually didn't, for some reason I thought the show took place about a decade earlier than it does, it's crazy to me that serial killers didn't even have a name until that late in time

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

precision posted:

During the time period this show takes place in, the most interesting music being made was either in Germany (Amon Duul, Can, Neu!, etc) or America's deep South (jazz and blues). The most interesting thing on the radio was the Beach Boys' "Wild Honey", which isn't saying a lot.

You're like a decade off. Wild Honey came out in 1967. So did Smiley Smile, an experimental album that is more sonically adventurous than most popular music at the time. Meanwhile in 1977, Can had already done their most interesting work and were coasting. Neu weren't making music as a group. I never liked Amon Duul, so I don't know what they were up to.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I thought the show took place in 1970.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

The projection from Tench is outrageous "all fathers are absentee fathers", "marriage is like a failing business that you can't get away from".

In 1977 Low, Rumors, and Marquee Moon were released.

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 21, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

esperterra posted:

Mona Demarkov is always my first Lena Olin point of reference, ngl. I love Romeo is Bleeding more than a human ever should.

I haven't seen it since the mid-'90s, but it's named after one of my favorite Tom Waits songs, and I loved the jazz soundtrack. I even had it on cassette way back in those days.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

It's hilarious how criminally underused he is in Stitchers, which is ridiculous in every way.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Finished the season. Loved it from episode 2 on. Easily Netflix's finest original programming to air.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's been mentioned in this thread already but Fincher's Zodiac is a pretty good cooldown movie to watch after this show so you won't have that hollow feeling of having to wait at least a year and change for season 2. Also it's one of his best movies so there's that, too.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Mob posted:

I decided the ants meant the cat died due to some local youth who is a future serial killer

This was my thinking as well.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I’ve watched Zodiac but not properly so need to see if it is available on one of the streaming platforms I subscribe to. Just finished this, was wary that the finale was going to be a damp squib but the ending pulled it out of the bag with finesse, can’t wait for the next season.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish the show had less of their personal lives because it's the weakest part of the show and the music choices are terrible (psycho killer? give me a break) but the actual mindhunting parts are insanely good. too bad profiling is bullshit.

pentyne posted:

Yeah I can't imagine people not wanting to learn more about Kemper. Listening to him talk he is spellbinding and a complete shock compared to the typical media portrayal of deranged serial killer. He's made no attempt to whitewash or pretend he's anything other then he is and it is insane.

Listening to his describing his troubles communicating with women is brutally honest, and now we live in a world where we have r/incel and entire websites devoted to adult men saying extremely similar things and projecting their rage and anger against women and other men. It's pretty terrifying.

they have kemper interviews on youtube and a lot of the dialogue on the show was taken from them verbatim. even the "now you've had sex" line.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 22, 2017

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Considering Fincher directed Episode 9 it was probably intentional, but the amount of food Ford and Debbie grabbed during the supermarket scene was ridiculous. My wife and I cringed each time Ford tossed a glass jar into the cart. Who does that?! He's the real monster.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Dinosaurs! posted:

Considering Fincher directed Episode 9 it was probably intentional, but the amount of food Ford and Debbie grabbed during the supermarket scene was ridiculous. My wife and I cringed each time Ford tossed a glass jar into the cart. Who does that?! He's the real monster.

Those jars of sauce are 100% broken. I expected more from a Midwest kid.

Also what was up with scenes in the laundry room? I'm assuming it was supposed to be eerie and also a sign of being colder?

Also gently caress that whole tickling thing. Dude literally gave him a like 5 warnings and he didn't change. Like what did he expect? And his wife acting smug and bitter about, cmon man, Holden gave him a break.

Also the doctor seems a bit useless aside from the mental exercises.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Those jars of sauce are 100% broken. I expected more from a Midwest kid.

Also what was up with scenes in the laundry room? I'm assuming it was supposed to be eerie and also a sign of being colder?

Also gently caress that whole tickling thing. Dude literally gave him a like 5 warnings and he didn't change. Like what did he expect? And his wife acting smug and bitter about, cmon man, Holden gave him a break.

Also the doctor seems a bit useless aside from the mental exercises.

The tickling thing annoyed me: I'm assuming they were trying to make the principal seem more sympathetic when the wife confronted Holden, but it's so ridiculous. All he had to do was listen to the parents, the PTA, his colleagues, and the FBI. He had so many chances.

That plotline would've been a lot less ridiculous if the principal met with the drama department and created an elaborate play. Something with a musical number about how he doesn't diddle kids. That would've probably calmed everyone down.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
tickling - I found it hard to believe there wasn't a dad that was just like "Stop touching my kid or I'll gently caress you up" Everyone just kinad went with it. Although to be fair, Holden basically said that as THE FBI and it didn't faze the guy so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I think the fact that guy was so committed to it in spite of all the warnings says it all. If it was actually as innocuous as he claimed, a rational person would stop anyway...even if he thought it wasn't a big deal, other people did so why pick that battle?

I didn't have any sympathy for him on that basis. Holden made it very clear: stop touching students or this will get worse for you. The fact he wouldn't or couldn't stop makes it a reasonable concern that he'd escalate his behavior.

• Locked thread