Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I got mostly through episode 7 and I'm probably done. It's an ok show, but when it's not doing the serial killer interviews (and letting someone chew the scenery a bit) or basically being a really stylish procedural the show stops dead in its tracks. I don't care at all about Ford or his girlfriend and the only thing I like about Tench is how totally annoyed he seems most of the time. This show feels like it's straining to be serialized when it could honestly be almost Law-and-Order level episodic, down to divided in halves between criminal interviews and procedural. The background of the FBI being a bunch of Mormons is important background, but it feels like they never really land that concept and move on. It's a point, then it goes away, then it's there again, then they move on. Granted a show that was focused on that would itself be pretty eye-rolling.

Also I can't figure out whether I think the show has something interesting to say about profiling. The first episode seemed to be on the right track in terms of possibly understanding serial killers in a light beyond Freudianism, but then basically everything since then has been unresolved sex issues in some manner. Maybe the final episodes twist that and leave the characters trying to explain something that they can't reduce to repressed sexuality coupled with childhood violence? IDK, I'm not going to sit through a scene about how Ford isn't very adventurous in sex to find out.

I did appreciate they decided to use the town from The Mothman Prophecies for that Pennsylvania crime.

edit: I think the moment I knew I was giving up was that bar scene with Carr and her partner before she moves to Quantico. It was one of those "Oh, this is how dumb people think smart people talk at bars" moments.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread