Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dmitri-9 posted:

Watching Holt McCallany work makes me wish there was an Expendables style movie with gruff tough guy actors like Michael Shannon, Kieth David, Dean Norris, Stacy Keach, etc.

McCallany and Keach were both in Lights Out and it was a great combo. I don't think there's anywhere to watch that show now, though.

Profiling is a load of bull, but I'm willing to suspend my distaste for it because this show is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

X-O posted:

Also Douglas is a creative consultant on this show and is not a fan of the Thomas Harris stuff at all because of how inaccurate it is and has said the thing that drew him to this show was the promise of following his book, so I wouldn’t get your hopes up for things going in that direction.

If Douglas doesn't like things being inaccurate, he should probably revise that whole criminal profiling thing.

It's a great show, but profiling is bunk and Douglas played a pretty key role in at least one person (Guy Paul Morin) being wrongfully convicted.

That said, his Crime Classification Manual is a pretty great reference book for assigning specific qualities to crime and the case studies are interesting.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

KyloWinter posted:

No they aren't

Yeah, typically they get away for so long because they have no personal connection to the victim, which makes even narrowing things down difficult. The Kemper types are few and far between.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

viral spiral posted:

I picked up a copy of the MindHunter book at Walmart for $6.99. I honestly don't know if I want to continue the book it after the prologue. It has John Douglas explain to us in horrifying detail how the stress in his pursuit of serial killers (studying grisly crime scenes, etc.) literally caused him to have a panic attack which ended with hemorrhaging in his brain; leaving him paralyzed on one side of his body head-to-toe. He had to learn how to walk again, speak without slurring his words, etc.

Pretty sure that was from viral encephalitis. John Douglas likes to stretch the truth a fair bit in his books.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zaggitz posted:

The thing that fascinates me about Serial Killers is finding out how utterly bizarre and pathetic they are in any situation that isn't them killing. Especially BTK, you read up everything about him unrelated to his murders and he was fuckin idiot who couldn't spell to save his life(the cops thought he was doing it as an act, he wasn't.) and kept badly ripping off poetry in his letters. He almost accidentally died trying to take some pictures of himself in bondage gear in the woods because he tied himself up too tight and struggled for hours before breaking free. He's an absolute loving dweeb who just also happens to be a monster on the side.

I love how he got caught because he asked the cops if there was a way for them to get any identifying information from a floppy disc. They said no, and the dipshit believed it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sand Monster posted:

For those that have read the book, is the scene at the end of the last episode based in fact or was it fictional

I've said it before and I'll say it again, whether or not it was in the book has zero bearing on if it was fact or fiction. John Douglas has a reputation for spinning tall tales out of everything. Makes for entertaining books and shows, but I would never take his stuff for a reliable source.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

viral spiral posted:

I'm sure you have a source for this

I can dig them up, I didn't exactly jot down everything I read in case a show about him would be good one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dmitri-9 posted:

They really did base Will Graham on this guy didn't they.

Jack Crawford.

And John Douglas actually hates Jack Crawford.

• Locked thread