Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This show was so frustrating. The pilot is probably the worst thing I've seen on television all year, but the second episode is one of the best. Everything after that was somewhere in between.

The positives: every conversation with killers, especially Kemper, was highly compelling. Holt McCallany is awesome. The cinematography was consistently good.

But I have so many complaints, too:
-Every scene with Debbie was unbearable. No human has ever talked this way, and it's not like her dialogue is heavily stylized. It's just outright bad. Also, they resolved her appearing to cheat on Holden off screen. Holden just walks into a laundromat and then they're together again. Granted, the conversation would have been terrible, but still. Their opening scene together makes me think Joe Penhall has never had a flirtatious conversation in his life.

-Dumb subplots that seem to go nowhere beyond making some kind of point. The Tickler was just baffling and ridiculous, especially when his wife showed up in that bizarre scene where she refuses to the let the elevator doors close behind her for some reason. And what was with the mystery cat in Wendy's apartment? That was a complete waste of time. We'll see about BTK but I'm not a fan of building this up for a whole season, especially if that's not the focus of season 2.

-The Debbie dialogue was extra bad but really the dialogue in general was largely awful outside of the interviews. It really made this show feel like a hacky network procedural with cursing and nudity.

-Holden himself is a really irritating character and not in a cool antihero way. He's just smug and annoying, and he talks like The Onion's Autistic Reporter sometimes. Hopefully his panic attack changes things next season.

-The music cues were so on the nose! Psycho Killer, are you loving kidding me?!

Overall I like the show and will definitely watch but the near universal praise from viewers is befuddling to me. Don't know how critics are taking it but I've been enjoying and largely agreeing with the A/V Club episode reviews (though the pre-air review that gave it a B+ based on the first two and had high praise for that awful pilot was dumb).

And one more minor thing: Holden makes Gary listen to the Toolbox Murderers, but those guys didn't go on their spree until 1979, two years after this season takes place. The point is clear though--those guys were more hosed up and sadistic than anyone we did see. Read through their Wikipedia page at your own peril.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I kept thinking a human hand was gonna grab the tuna

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

clown shoes posted:

I'm surprised to see so much Debbie hate. I think people are maybe mistaking the actress's choice to play sort of understated/deadpan with bad acting.

Meryl Streep wouldn't be able to deliver her lines

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just binged this whole thing. loving great, start to finish. Especially liked the dude playing Kemper, so drat creepy.

I like that they never directly revealed who the alt-story proto serial killer was, but when you realize who it is it's a mindfuck.

If you know your serial killers it's pretty obvious who he is as soon as the screen says it's in Kansas.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah for all the incredibly hosed up things serial killers do beyond just murdering, most of the bizarre poo poo we associate with them is done post-mortem. The toolbox guys really just wanted to torture people and killed them to avoid getting caught.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

whatever7 posted:

Just saw this series, I was not aware the crime of Richard Speck until this show. His wiki article mess me good.

The rest of the serial killers, I was kind of "gotten used to" them thanks to overexposure to detective novel series like Bosch.

Question for true crime readers, do you think traditional serial killer is no longer as trendy in America? Do you think they have moved to planned public act of terrorist killing/shooting? Or do you know we still have as many serial killers secretly running around and killing people in the night but they just don't get as much media attention anymore?

I don’t read true crime but yes, pretty much every well known serial killer has been in prison or dead since the 80s. We’re much more worried about the next mass shooting, because it’s way more justifiable to keep your kids from being out at night than it is to keep them out of school (not that mass shootings only happen to schools). We also can have debates about laws that prevent mass shootings much more easily than ways to prevent serial killings.

Television is definitely getting back into the serial killer game with shows like this, the canceled Manson show and the latest American Crime Story, but again all of those are all about killings that are at least 20 years old.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also nobody reads newspapers anymore and there are too many media outlets so it’s harder to leave taunting messages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I maintain what I said earlier, that the writers have never spoken to a woman

• Locked thread