Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's a good show, but it's worth noting that the science isn't as sound as it seems on the show:
There is a deeper problem with F.B.I. profiling. Douglas and Ressler didn’t interview a representative sample of serial killers to come up with their typology. They talked to whoever happened to be in the neighborhood. Nor did they interview their subjects according to a standardized protocol. They just sat down and chatted, which isn’t a particularly firm foundation for a psychological system. So you might wonder whether serial killers can really be categorized by their level of organization.
Not long ago, a group of psychologists at the University of Liverpool decided to test the F.B.I.’s assumptions. First, they made a list of crime-scene characteristics generally considered to show organization: perhaps the victim was alive during the sex acts, or the body was posed in a certain way, or the murder weapon was missing, or the body was concealed, or torture and restraints were involved. Then they made a list of characteristics showing disorganization: perhaps the victim was beaten, the body was left in an isolated spot, the victim’s belongings were scattered, or the murder weapon was improvised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

KyloWinter posted:

No they aren't.

My problem with the protagonist is basically how he's like ahhh yes, I have read the sparknotes for ~whatever~ now I am an expert and can apply these ridiculous profiles to catch the bad guy. And then it keeps working. gently caress him.
I kinda liked how the show sometimes criticize Holden for this:
:smuggo:I caught the bad guy because of my awesome profiling skills!
:rolleyes:No, you caught the bad guy because it's pretty obvious that the convicted rapist with easy access to the crime scene killed and raped the little girl.

• Locked thread