Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Saw the first 6. The fact I did it all in one watch probably speaks to the quality of the show!

Show is still very good after Fincher steps away after the first two, but the show doesn't look as ~amazing~ as it does in the opening episodes.

Do we know if he's going to direct at all in season 2 or is this like House of Cards where he just leaves it be?

I don't really have much to say except I really like it, and the drop in, drop out gumshoe detective stuff works really well along with the big picture serial killer unit building stuff.

Obviously, I'm assuming we're not spoiling so (real life spoilers)

I'm assuming they can't catch the dude they didn't get until like forty years later in the first season so it's interesting they've got him in all the opens. I guess they get brought in to consult at some point even if they don't catch him?

And yeah, in case it wasn't obvious the lead in this show is based off of the same real life dude that the protagonist in Red Dragon/Manhunter was based off of, and same for all the cold opens being the guy Dolarhyde was based off of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Le Saboteur posted:

Well I did notice that Dennis Rader features heavily in this shows credits on IMDB and the BTK Killer wasn't caught until the mid 2000s. Not sure if thats the guy you're referring to though. Not sure if we should use spoilers for things that happen in real life.

Yeah that does make sense, I was just being cautious.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

Holy poo poo is the guy on at the beginning of each episode BTK? Wow.

Yeah I worked it out after a few because of the similarities to the Red Dragon dude so I googled it and was like yup!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mr. unhsib posted:

Okay where the hell is this tickle subplot going...

Not very far from the looks of it.

(Edit: I was wrong. )

Also the only episode that has no BTK killer open.

Speaking of, there has been Him mailing the press, him getting bored after his victim doesn't come home in time, and him being "strict". Did I miss anything?

Edit 2: Fincher lights everything so much differently. Also his camera setups are just more dynamic. Some classic Fincher inserts in episode 9.

Edit 3: deep loving cut on the finale music.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 15, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfqD5WqChUY

A short video discussing Fincher's style and use of camera movement.

Yeah that explains some of his episodes feeling like film, and the others like a TV show. Add in his lighting and his camera setups and it's a big contrast to the other episodes.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
But also, yes.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A couple of times I was struck by "shouldn't we be able to see the dolly track?" and now I know why!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is still the best fbi profile ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn0ylNZhOJI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
@fbi mr policeman i left u all the #clues

• Locked thread