Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I like the theory about the cat dying by a future serial killer in the making.

And the look of this show is classic David Fincher. That man can make an office look mesmerizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
It's surreal to me how the actor who plays Bill Tench is the same guy from Alien 3 who tried to rape Ripley:

Keeping in touch with David Fincher this whole time definitely paid off for him.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Henchman of Santa posted:

If you know your serial killers

Who's your favorite serial killer?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

You've never heard of him.

I'm quoting his post here, though.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Milo and POTUS posted:

I've actually had someone I kinda liked as a person ask me this and I was like dude.... that's a loving weird rear end question to ask anyone.

Why? Serial killers have been quite popular in pop culture for decades. This is America dude lol

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

i've been "into" serial killers for years but i hate them all. some more than others. i probably hate william bonin the most.

Wait until this guy appears in the show:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Ridgway

:stonk:

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I think BTK's profile being wrong is a good thing for the show

What was Douglas' profile of BTK compared to what it actually was?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

To be fair, I get the feeling that most incels are a stone's throw from becoming serial killers.

Should we be concerned about you then?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

I'm very far from an incel, and also curious whose alt you are to have this weird vendetta against me.

It's called a joke jfc

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I picked up a copy of the MindHunter book at Walmart for $6.99. I honestly don't know if I want to continue the book it after the prologue. It has John Douglas explain to us in horrifying detail how the stress in his pursuit of serial killers (studying grisly crime scenes, etc.) literally caused him to have a panic attack which ended with hemorrhaging in his brain; leaving him paralyzed on one side of his body head-to-toe. He had to learn how to walk again, speak without slurring his words, etc.

I don't know how these people stay sane after looking at the most hosed up crime scenes imaginable along with interviewing the psychopaths responsible for them years at a time. Holy gently caress.

I think I might just watch the show instead.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, whether or not it was in the book has zero bearing on if it was fact or fiction. John Douglas has a reputation for spinning tall tales out of everything. Makes for entertaining books and shows, but I would never take his stuff for a reliable source.

I'm sure you have a source for this

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Big Bidness posted:

You're not wrong about John Douglas, but Malcolm Gladwell is also often full of poo poo.

It's pretty hilarious reading John Douglas defending Karla Hmolka in one of his first books. He paints her as an absolute victim, with no shred of doubt that her husband brainwashed her into covering up his crimes through fear and abuse.

After he wrote that profile, a video tape was found that showed that Karla was not only an active participant in the torture and murders her and Paul Bernardo committed, she was probably the dominant personality. Whoops.

She's a free woman with kids right now. :stare:

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
...that school principal definitely needed to be fired, dude. He'll probably show up in S2 raping children or some poo poo. Holden saw him leave the supermarket towards the end of the show; I definitely don't think we have seen the last of him.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm sure if we all put our heads together, we can solve the mystery of Wendys pussy.

That mystery was solved at the University.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

whatever7 posted:

Just saw this series, I was not aware the crime of Richard Speck until this show. His wiki article mess me good.

The rest of the serial killers, I was kind of "gotten used to" them thanks to overexposure to detective novel series like Bosch.

Question for true crime readers, do you think traditional serial killer is no longer as trendy in America? Do you think they have moved to planned public act of terrorist killing/shooting? Or do you know we still have as many serial killers secretly running around and killing people in the night but they just don't get as much media attention anymore?

I think mentally hosed people have sidelined serial killing in favor of mass shootings because evading the authorities for long periods of time isn't sustainable in the current surveillance state and digitized society that we live in. Now add in the modern miracles of DNA testing that brought down The Golden State Killer and, welp.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
holy poo poo I stand corrected then

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Stare-Out posted:

I'm glad Fincher is directing more of this show but bummed that it's just two more episodes. I guess he's busy making movies which is good but the episodes he's directed so far are loving gorgeous to look at and impeccably edited.

I read somewhere that he's in charge of casting and the overall direction of the plot as well. This show would have never been made without him and his connections, after all.

And yeah, every one of Fincher's films are beautifully shot. This show is like the TV version of Zodiac. I love it.

• Locked thread