Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

precision posted:

For some reason the whole "You want a sandwich?" conversation is hilarious to me. The guy who played Kemper should legit get an award.

Very possible. I think he'd qualify for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama, at the Emmys. This year, Major Dad won for that weepy ABC show with Jess Mariano, so I could see this outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

I think the fact that guy was so committed to it in spite of all the warnings says it all. If it was actually as innocuous as he claimed, a rational person would stop anyway...even if he thought it wasn't a big deal, other people did so why pick that battle?

I didn't have any sympathy for him on that basis. Holden made it very clear: stop touching students or this will get worse for you. The fact he wouldn't or couldn't stop makes it a reasonable concern that he'd escalate his behavior.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

TheBizzness posted:

And then as mentioned a page or two ago the ant filled cat food can could suggest the cat was killed by a serial killer in the making.

My reading is that she's thinking this, regardless of the reality. A tension of the season is that these characters are so immersed in this world, it's tinting their vision and pushing them to see violence and dysfunction everywhere. In all probability, some stray cat was hanging around for a bit and then went somewhere else, or was hit by a car, or was taken to a shelter. But the team is so conditioned to seeing the worst, they see it even in scenarios where it doesn't apply.

The cool part about these scenes to me are how they're shot and edited. It's a horror film; Wendy is scantily clad, entering a frame composed like a killer's POV. The formal language of it is such that you're prepared for someone to jump out at her any second. Which is something Zodiac also does: when Graysmith goes to the old projectionist's house to look through posters, the scene is shot and cut to elicit thriller tension as if the projectionist is the killer, but the reality is just Graysmith's paranoia. It's good poo poo.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Matinee posted:

I wonder how much of David Fincher's getting away with unnoticeable VFX is down to his utilization of super-mechanical camera movements.

From a post-production standpoint, it for sure helps. Dolly shots or steadicam are way easier to track, so given most of these composited elements are trees or a new curb or something, getting the geometry of the shot right is one of the make-or-break parts.

Tons of handheld would be a real challenge both because of how hard it is to reproduce those movements in post, and because directors who use a ton of handheld might also have more shots overall, a more "cutty" style. A 30-second dolly shot that's been storyboarded up the rear end is way easier to sort out.

(For context, I don't do feature VFX or anything, but I do work in motion graphics and have done a fair amount of compositing work. The more planning that went into production, the better the result in post pretty much every time.)

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

The WaPo Comment Section Killer. "YOOO I earned $250K last year working from home BY KILLING YOUR DAUGHTERS AND CONSUMING THEIR BLOOD LIKE DIVINE AMBROSIA discount macbooks only $499 [insert tinyurl]."

• Locked thread