Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

_jink posted:

almost skipped this for that exact reason, but ya, it's great.

the first episode had me a little leery, mainly because of the long rear end scene setting up Groff&Gross' relationship. It was going for awkward(?) but came across kinda stilted, like it was their first day on set. By the third episode I was fully on-board though, minus some minor details like Speck (since he was just mentioned) chucking the bird over his shoulder into the fan like a trickshot. Why?? This was a completely amazing scene, and smashing the bird on the table should have been the striking visual to end on, rather then a bizarre piece of theatrics. Super minor critique, but little moments where they just missed the mark kept popping up.

overall amazing though & really looking forward to a season 2!

I haven't seen the bird episode so I don't know exactly how they do it in the show, but this anecdote is actually straight out of Douglas' book and happened the way he describes, with the fan and everything. When a guard asked Speck why he did it -- because the guard saw how much he enjoyed the bird and had taken the time to nurse it back to health after its injury -- Speck said, if I can't have it, no one can. Beyond that, who knows why he threw it in the fan as opposed to any other means of disposal... but that's actually how it happened.

A LOT of the more anecdotal stuff is either straight out of the book or hilariously in contrast to the book, to the point where I feel like Douglas, as a bit of an egomaniac, was probably pretty annoyed. He has a whole section about how he would always ask the local PD if anyone was involved in a case first, because he wouldn't want to contradict what they knew to be true. Couldn't help thinking of that in the first episode re: Manson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Douglas mentions the tickling principal in the book, and he does lose his job, but it’s an aside and he doesn’t really give much detail beyond that.

• Locked thread