Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They explictly said that they wanted 3D World to be a game that people who like 2D Mario (of which there are a lot more than 3D if sales numbers are any impression) would like to play in 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Yea 3D World was great but I'm eager for more 'classic' 3D Mario collectathon poo poo

I was going to say "Classic is a strong word" but the time gap between Mario Bros and Mario 64 is almost identical to the time gap between Mario 64 and Mario Odyssey.

loving linear passing of loving time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

also good to see, the box confirms that you can get everything in game, but the amiibos are just easy unlocks. I will earn Mario his wedding dress, the honorable way.

I am certain your proposal will be beautiful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Argue posted:

So, early adopters: how are the prospects of a captureless run looking?

It's impossible. Capturing is required to beat certain bosses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Captureless except bosses would still be cool but I think it's a tad early to declare it impossible.

Note that I have not watched any videos other than official ones and don't want to.

Well, to rephrase: "captureless without glitches that allow you to skip areas is impossible." It's entirely possible there's a glitch that lets you hop out the world and to the ending or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

Game gets released at the same time as the JFK files reveal he was killed by a Cuban group backed up by Jewish bankers. Very convenient.

I don't see the connection except that odd bit about Oswald wearing a red hat with big googly eyes but some people just have weird fashion sense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I have to brag somewhere about the pro gamer skillz I just pulled off so here you go (this is a middlegame area but I don't really show any of it):
https://twitter.com/Amppelix/status/923927493916049408
That last hat throw there is me flailing my arms in disbelief that I made it

That does nothing (because that section of the settings only concerns camera control.) It'll affect your motion sensitivity when in first person aim mode.

It is really deceptive for some reason. Took me a while to notice.

Please NWSF your videos of Mario's nipples, thank you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fruity Rudy posted:

You cannot actually turn them off. The obnoxious jerking movements are pretty much mandatory for most advanced cap moves. Circle, homing, up, and down. You can do a manual button press cap circle throw but it's so slow to execute the move is worthless. I've forced my way around the controls in most cases but they're really bad. Really poor motion controls that don't even have the precision of most Switch titles. In my experience this game really really should have been critiqued on the bad motion controls and the awful camera. It is an 8/10 at best thanks to these poor design choices. Your thumb is constantly bouncing back and forth from buttons right analog to fix the wonky camera. My right thumb has to literally do double duty with the tip on the jump and throw buttons and the joint of my thumb constantly adjusting the camera to see where I'm supposed to be moving.

This is the worst control scheme and camera in a major Mario game to date. And based on the number of players I've seen online upset about the bad controls and camera, the universal critical praise is questionable. BotW used motion controls too but they actually worked. These controls do not work well at all, particularly in the god awful detached Joy Con thing they try to force players into. Handheld is really not well thought out, especially considering the amount of unused buttons on the controllers. I do not understand what Nintendo or the glowing reviews were thinking not to address this issue.

In handheld mode I've been able to cope with the motion controls somewhat by just cranking motion control sensitivity up in settings and yanking the console but it's frustrating. Very hard to play when the screen is constantly jerked left and right to do cap throws. The game feels as if they designed it for a different console and did not even take the portable mode of Switch into account during development. I would kill for the ability to just map these moves to one of the many unused buttons on the controller. And to lock the camera to not drift behind walls and float high above me at weird angles where cliffs aren't visible until Mario has plunged to his death.

As a flagship Mario title, which is supposed to be an all-gamer levels friendly experience this game is not a success. Anyone who is not an experienced console gamer is going to be aggravated beyond belief by trying to manage the camera while moving Mario. This is a far cry from the usual pick-up-and-play simplicity of Mario and Nintendo's philosophy. I've been playing Mario for over 30 years and this is the first time I've spent hours reading control tutorials, watching videos trying to understand where it's going wrong and failing to pickup in-game moves after hours of play. For anyone who is not a hardcore gamer used to managing multiple buttons and analog sticks PLUS weird imprecise motion controls, this game is going to be a very frustrating experience.

I have literally no idea how you're having trouble with the camera. At all. Other than adjusting the sensitivity from Low to High I haven't had any problems at all.

You do know one of the shoulder buttons recenters the camera behind you right?

Edit: Unironically if you are spending hours reading move tutorials and can't do things in this game it is on you, not on the game. I watched a literal six year old pick up and play the game with zero trouble. The idea that loving Mario Odyssey is an impossible super-hardcore game with complex controls that are impossible to learn is laughable.

A hyper-zoomed in video of the fact that motion controls are an option is not an answer BTW.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 27, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

Why not let everyone enjoy rolling around in a ball using buttons

... because you can it by holding a shoulder button and pressing Y?

The motion control complaints are valid in that the motion controls are pretty dumb. However when you're actively ignoring that there are button-based alternatives for these moves in order to get hyperbolic about motion controls it really devalues your criticism.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Why do people feel the need to defend Nintendo on this? Especially considering the game could easily accommodate both motion controls and buttons for everything?

Because, as far as I am, I have not actually had to use motion controls at all because they are button combinations. Maybe later in the game you have to shake your switch nonstop and I am missing that but otherwise I am really bewildered where the omnipresent nonstop motion controls that are absolutely mandatory are.

I never said that you can't do that specifc move. I just think it's remarkably stupid to assume that you can't enjoy Nintendo games anymore if you think motion controls are dumb.

Nintendo doesn't pay you to be defensive on their behalf.

Ah yes, I totally said that. That is exactly what I said. Motion controls are great. I didn't sa-

ImpAtom posted:

The motion control complaints are valid in that the motion controls are pretty dumb.

Literally in the post you quoted. Literally.

You, and half the posts here, seem to be treating the argument as "motion controls are great and you should love them" when pretty much everyone is saying instead "hey, motion controls are dumb but can be entirely ignored."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 27, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Computer posted:

no one has said they're mandatory to beat the game, just that

Okay. That still isn't actually explaining this response. Both from my own experiences and watching others, the neat tricks tend to rely on cap mechanics and wall-jumps and such, with little to no controller waggling. I assume at some point there's going to be a neat skip involving the upward cap throw or something which sucks but is a real far cry from the way it's being discussed where you'd think it was Twilight Princess or something.

I absolutely have no problem with people saying it's needless, dumb, and entirely optional because it is. It's also something a large portion of players can ignore entirely and barring some particular speedrun trick is something that doesn't even seem like it comes up particularly often for people trying to sequence break and trick around.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Holy poo poo go the gently caress away. You weren't even the reason I originally posted that snide comment to begin with. You are, however, the most defensive and obnoxious person I have ever discussed Nintendo games with.

Ah, we're at that part of the fivegears4reverse cycle again. Well, I look forward to you stomping off in a huff to return next time to complain about how mean goons are to you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Thinking about it more, I don't think my biggest problem is with the motion controls themselves, because as people have pointed out, the vast majority of motion controlled moves have ways to do them with button presses.

I guess my biggest problem with the game, and overall it's a small one, is that the X button doesn't automatically do the hat spin.
Having to swirl the L-stick around until the game decides to recognize that you want to spin around before you can do the hat spin is a problem.

Also, why aren't all straight hat throws homing throws? If the hat doesn't hit anything by the end of its travel, just make it auto-change to a homing throw.

I can't see any reason why hat spin shouldn't be on X, no. That would be a simple change that would probably help people who find the spin uncomfortable.

No auto-hat is because of Hat Jumping though I think. Though they can probably find a way around that too with a few moments thought.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

^^ZR + Y would be great for homing hat. ZR+X would still act as a roll and it would make sense because if the ABXY face buttons were a D-pad, the X button would be the equivalent of forward.

I wouldn't even mind if X remained as the normal hat throw button, but instead they made A the spin button. That way you could just roll your thumb quickly from A to X for a hat spin. It would probably even look cooler that way, heh.

And, as a bonus you could even roll your thumb from A to B and instantly spin jump.

That's actually a really good idea, yeah. I guess we can always hope for a patch or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

Honestly if you are complaining that moves you find difficult aren't tied to single button presses you're also arguing against an action game having a high skill ceiling.

I genuinely don't think Mario should have a high skill ceiling for actual move execution, no. Platformers I think work best if the execution requirement is in the platforming, not pulling off the moves. High action game skill ceiling requirements tend to work best for combat-heavy games where pulling off the combos and stringing them together is a major part of the game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

That I disagree with. I think the difficulty in action games should come from the challenge of your character navigating through the world he's in, not from the challenge of you communicating your intentions to the character.

You shouldn't have to alternate pressing the left and right bumpers at the same pace Mario puts one foot in front of the other either.

I would play the hell out of Robot Mario Drive though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I learned from the map pamphlet thing that the people of New Donk are not humans, but New Donkians

so it's cool, it's fine everybody, crisis averted

Wait, that means Mario dated outside his species? Weirdo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

If I turn motion controls off, can I still use the spin throw in any way?

e: I'm using a pro controller.

Yes. Spin the stick in a circle quickly and Mario will spin. Toss your hat while he's spinning and you do the throw.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair this has been a pretty loving insane year for games overall.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Pokio rules. Alternatively the tank sucks. I honestly hated the Donk City fight because I just find the tank controls really unfun. The cannon aiming is awful.

The Broodles fight at the end of Bowser's Kingdom with Pokio on the other hand was RAD. I loved it, so much fun, such a cool boss. Also the flower UFO thing.

Some things are fun to control, some aren't. I wish the up and down buttons on the fish were reversed because it doesn't not feel intuitive with the current ones. I always end up going the wrong direction at first.

If they patched the tank so you could fire with R or L it would solve every single problem wiht it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Taear posted:

I don't remember dive or triple jump in Galaxy? That's the only other 3D mario I've played.

Triple Jump was absolutely in Galaxy so that is entirely on you.

• Locked thread