Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I don't want to speak too soon but I think maybe this game will be pretty good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Color Printer posted:

Bowser revealing his hat can also capture things in the final boss fight is pretty much the logical conclusion

I'm extremely hoping for the "they somehow capture each other" outcome though

Haha that would be great and a real punch in the gut for Bowser if the one time he manages to beat Mario is when he's being possessed by Mario.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

God drat this game is extremely loving ace

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Odyssey feels kinda like Banjo Kazooie, if Nintendo were to just decide to make the best Banjo Kazooie game ever.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Mylan posted:

Ok I guess I'm dumb, how the gently caress does Lakitu fishing work? I see the fish silhouettes, I cast my line near them, and they just bump it a few times and disappear. I can't figure out any way of enticing them into actually biting.

There are two distinct rumbles. One is a very light one, if you pull on that one you'll lose the fish. The other is stronger, pull on that one and you'll catch it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Only complaint so far is it is a bit easy. Most of the little side moons i breeze through without a sweat, hopefully the later levels are more challenging.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Hey so I have a not-really-spoilery question: the other day I happened to buy 10 Power Moons from the shop at Cascade Kingdom and used those to unlock more post-game content. Is there a set amount of Moons I can buy from each shop or can I theoretically just keep buying Moons without having to go around and get Moons to unlock the rest of the post-game content? Because if it's the latter, that seems like a really big oversight on the devs' part

Dan Ryckert said he'd bought a boatload of moons and hadn't hit any upper limit. Nintendo has trended in recent years to giving more options to see all the content the game has to offer, even if you're not technically skilled.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I like that hats protect you from cappy. Everything else is believable, but a goomba would never wear two hats at once.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Goddamn, that ending easily elevates new Donk to one of the top Mario worlds period.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Incidentally when’s the last time when a flagship Mario game and a flagship Sonic game came out in the same year and proved the old canard that Sonic loving suckkkkkkkkkssssssssssssssss

Sonic Mania is a good-rear end game though

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Unboxing Day posted:

I just beat the game and revisited the Cap Kingdom to do some exploring. I visited the Cap store, but something seems....wrong. It asked me if I wanted to buy 1 moon or 10, and no matter how much money I pour into the store (nearly 2,500 coins at this point), I can't run the store out of moons.

What's going on here? If the store never runs out, doesn't this trivialize post-game moon collecting?

You have to buy them.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The Broodal that drops bombs has an unbelievably good maniacal laugh. I love it so much.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just finished up the main plot. Overall I can say Odyssey is my #2 game this year, only because I think Zelda had more of an impact on me. But drat, this is no question one of the best entries in this franchise. I wanna see how it looks after the new game glow wears off, but at the moment I'd put it on par with Mario 64. Odyssey gets creative in ways 64 doesn't touch and obviously handles way better. Also it has a really great camera in comparison. It's hard to beat Peach's castle as a hub world though.

Nintendo has had a loving unbelievable year.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

You actually go on top of the castle to find yoshi. The Mushroom Kingdom is amazing.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

When you come in second in a race, everyone is celebrating except you. What is wrong with you Mario?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Definitely could've been fewer moons. They generally do a good job of putting them behind some kind of platforming challenge or little minigame, but there are still a lot of moons that are just total freebies.

Also, I really wish wearing the N64 costume would change the musical riff for getting a moon to the 64 music game-wide instead of just having it for Mushroom Kingdom.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Nah everyone knows that you have to get to 999999 moons and then you can play as Luigi.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lobster Harmonica posted:

I know this is silly bullshit but I'd still freak the absolute gently caress out if that happened

It's not silly, it's real. It was pretty loud on the playground when my friend told me but he's not a liar.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

How do you get the sequence where you're chased by a trex on the scooter?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah I thought that fight was really cool. It was neat how almost the entire level served as the boss arena.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The koopa races are a such a wonderful evolution of the concept from Mario 64 and Sunshine. I really love that there are leaderboards, I'm looking forward to competing for times with my friends.

It's also cool that there's generally an alternate path that will let you really rip past even the gold koopa. The one in New Donk City involves flinging yourself from the top of the empire state building down to the finish line

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I like that they included Luigi and Waluigi outfits, but seeing them on Mario's frame just weirds me out so I don't use them much.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I love how each situation you find captain toad in is more ludicrous than the last, considering he can't jump.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I just realized you can swim faster :negative:

Also I'm currently sitting here mapping out lakeside for the best koopa race routes. Game is amazing.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

In lake kingdom I'm convinced there has to be a way to skip to the top of the water terrace without going all the way to the spin flowers, but none of my attempts have worked, any ideas?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Cursory twitter search gives this video which does it https://twitter.com/Dalagonash/status/923557388069756929
As an aside, the video recording feature is really good for these short races. Most of them are the perfect lengths and I love being able to see cool strategies easily on twitter.

E: And here's an even faster strategy that just skips the platform entirely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKfbU9BFE8Q

Oh man, that second one is almost the exact strategy i had, just couldn't get the wall jump off the side of the terrace to work right. Feel pretty good knowing i basically stumbled into the fastest strat out there!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Goddamn the platforming in this game is so good. "How can i get this moon" eventually turns into "How can I break the game over my knee to get this moon"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=532219223777884&id=100009694330828

Not super impressive but drat it feels good to skip puzzles using tricky platforming.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're ever unsure, do a ground-pound. It reveals Invisible Blocks for a few seconds.

See, this is the kind of poo poo that makes me ok with the level of tutorials in this game. There is so much stuff hidden in the cracks to discover!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Seems great, master the timing and take a joycon to the toilet with you and it's a speedrun with a builtin bathroom break at the end

Looking forward to seeing streamers sprinting back on camera with their pants around their ankles because their joycon desynced on the can

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Aren't all of those painting areas mostly segregated from the rest of the map, meaning you can't get to the rest of the map? All of the ones I've found were.

You can just teleport to another flag :ssh:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

First attempt at jump rope ended at 69. I’m never trying again.

Nice

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

In seaside kingdom there is a fish shadow that I believe represents a moon but I can't find a lakitu and google is showing nothing. Any tips?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Anybody know where the hidden cap person is in Shiveria? I figure he has to be somewhere in the town/racetrack because I don't remember seeing any non-enemy characters elsewhere but I wasn't having any luck tracking it down.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's a lady Goomba right next to the Odyssey in Lake Kingdom, how do I get a dude-ba there? I can't figure out a way to make the jump from the steps to dry land and they die in the water even if you bring an entire giant tower.

Way I did it was building a big tower, then jumping them across. The ones on the bottom sacrifice themselves but most of the time you can get one of the top ones across.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

he's in the racetrack lobby

Huh, I looked there and must have missed him somehow. Thanks!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm fairly certain that he's in the second lobby that the moon rock blocked the entrance to

Oooooh ok that would explain it. I didn't think to check there.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just had a challenge where I had to collect a ton of musical notes in a really strange pattern. I ended up having to triple jump, cap dive, cap throw, twice in a row without dropping any notes. It was hard as hell but when I finally beat it, it felt amazing.

Then the moon spawned way above me. I couldn't figured out how to get up to it, then I realized there was one of those dudes with the stretchy legs nearby. I was supposed to use it to easily grab all the musical notes.

This game may be the best platformer I've ever played.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'm starting to feel pretty done with darker side of the moon

It's not even that hard, it's just the parts where you can actually die are for dumb reasons and take FOREVER to get back to . The first is flicking from fork to fork, that one is just annoying because if you don't line your hat throw up right you'll hit the lava and then you're just screwed because you can't do any other actions and there are no platforms to land on. The next one is that stupid woodpecker bird. If one of your pokes ends up with you getting lined up in a weird spot, it's virtually impossible to re-adjust without falling to your death.

I dunno, if it was just platforming challenges I would keep at it, but I'm a little tired of wasting 10 minutes just to get to the difficult parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The forks aren't hard I just find the hat throwing to be a little finicky in general. It doesn't matter so much for 99% of the game because if your hat misses you can just try again, or shake to make it home, but in that section if you miss a throw you are 100% dead since there isn't enough time to recover. It's only killed me a couple times but it's a frustrating reason to die.

• Locked thread