Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vikar Jerome posted:

people are already speedrunning the game (store demo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o5N-9h_ncw

This legit looks like the next Mario 64 in terms of speedrun possibilities. I cant' wait for this loving game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

sexpig by night posted:

yea I could see it being some 'Bowser is GIANT now' thing where you need to somehow possess the entire moon to fight him. At this point gently caress it, why not?

Wasn't he already gigantic in Super Mario Galaxy?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hedrigall posted:

:siren: https://nintendowire.com/news/2017/10/20/wedding-peach-amiibo-unlocks-bridal-dress-mario/

You can dress Mario in a nice pretty wedding gown, GOTY of the millennium confirmed

lol hell yeah.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Was this from the episode where Mario's voice actor fucks up saying Donkey Kong for the millionth time and calls him Darkie Kong?

Is this real? Because lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh no! Spoilers in a Mario game? I can't deal with that.

Seriously? It's a Mario game? There is minimal plot to be spoilered. People have taken the don't spoil things way too far if they are worried about getting spoilered for SMO. What's next? Freaking out over spoilers in Tic Tac Tetris?

I'm glad story is the only thing that can be spoiled in a video game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I've got this preloaded and I'm stoked as fuuuuuuuck.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Your Computer posted:

The eshop only says "unlocks 27.10" and if that doesn't mean 1 minute after midnight I'm gonna be extremely angry and post bad reviews online sad (and then have fun playing mario tomorrow instead)

Doesn't Nintendo unlock their games at like 9 in the morning?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

robot roll call posted:

Nintendo first party games are always 12am EST.

Aaaand I'm not going to work tomorrow.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Loving the game so far, I've got like 4 hours and almost 90 moons in. I'd put it on par with Super Mario 64 in quality but I wouldn't say it's the best game ever, really fun though. My biggest complaint is that the levels just don't look like Mario levels, none of the characters or enemies fit the look of the super detailed textures. Save for the Sand Kingdom, that looks all around really good.

I opted for the Wooded Kingdom before the Water one, haven't gone passed that point. I only know about the Metro Kingdom since it's been shown so much, can't wait to see what other kingdoms there are.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DoctorWhat posted:

motion controls are good unless you have a direct physical disability preventing their use. get over yourselves.

I can't even pull off the circular cap throw when doing the exact same motions as the game shows you. It literally just doesn't work for me. They're bad and I'm glad you can turn them off.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I'm kinda confused, there seems to be so much poo poo to collect in every level but after scouring most of what I have open (the first four) there doesn't seem to be anything else around to collect or do. From what I gather it seems like new areas open in the levels as you get further into the game, am I just so early on in the game that I literally can't find the rest at this point? For instance I have 6/17 moons in the Cap Kingdom and there's literally nowhere to go here.

Also, what the hell do you do with the giant metal blocks? I've seen one in each level so far but I can't do anything with it. Do you get new abilities later in the game?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Amppelix posted:

Those blocks do stuff after you beat the game, as an extra incentive to do play more after you've seen the credits. As for the amount of moons, there's a hint toad in every kingdom (except maybe bonneton, i haven't explored that very well) after you've finished all the major events there who will sell you the map location of a moon you can currently get. If he doesn't sell you any more then you're done. The hint parrot, Talkatoo, does a similar thing but for free; he only reveals moon names on your list.

Awesome man, thanks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Amppelix posted:

I have to brag somewhere about the pro gamer skillz I just pulled off so here you go (this is a middlegame area but I don't really show any of it):
https://twitter.com/Amppelix/status/923927493916049408
That last hat throw there is me flailing my arms in disbelief that I made it

So how are you pulling this off exactly? I'm at this same part and I can't seem to get this down.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Amppelix posted:

I got lucky I didn't bonk my head on the wall there but the basic procedure is triple jump > throw cap > dive on top of cap (and remember to hold Y) > wall jump > throw cap again > dive again, hopefully making it where you wanted to go because you can't cap bounce again. This seems to be the biggest height you can reach using just mario's moveset and a wall.

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

after you throw Cappy mid-jump, press trigger and Y to dive toward Cappy, continue to hold Y and you will hop off of him. You can throw and dive one more time but not bounce off of it a second time. Though it all resets if you execute a wall jump.

Once you get the rhythm for that kind of mid-air movement down, you can reach all kinds of weird places and traverse the world so efficiently. It feels excellent.

I just pulled this of and god drat it owns, I'm doing this constantly and seeing where I can get to.

Is there anyway to do the Cappy jump that you can pull off when you're playing 2 player? There doesn't seem to be a way to do it and it's the highest jump you can do.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just beat the game and the credits are rolling, I can't wait for the post-game content. This game is wonderful.

Also, when I got knocked into Yoshi's Island I was so loving happy, and seeing Peach's Castle through the painting gets me loving excited to go back there.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There were some purple coins on the "last" level that I couldn't figure out how to get. How do you get the ones on top of the pillars in the lava section with the dry bones paratroopas? Can't fly high enough and tank shots didn't destroy the pillars and the bullet bills were too far forward to go back.

In the second area of the stage when you're a lot higher up there's the Giant Bullet Bills, use one of them and accelerate like a mother fucker above those pillars and just drop on top of them to get the stuff. They fly a ton faster and there's also a Moon you can get this way too.

Internet Kraken posted:

I really wish the Hat Kingdom and Lost Kingdoms were bigger because I really love their aesthetics.

Same, I love how both of them look but it's such a shame they're so tiny. Not to mention one tugs heavy on my nostalgia.

So after getting to the Mushroom Kingdom and man... what a massive disappointment; all Moons are now Power Stars and make the same jingle as SM64, you have the SM64 castle theme inside the castle and towers and you have to even jump through the paintings and you're greeted with the jingle that plays when you select a star in SM64. Yoshi's on the loving castle and you get to play as him! I was legit choked up at this wonderful, HD love-letter to SM64 until it slowly dawned on me that most of what there is to do in this Kingdom are just harder versions of the boss and it's pretty lovely. Everything to make the 10 year old in me who grew-up on Super Mario 64 geek right the gently caress out and boom, a glorified boss rush that isn't all too great. I was hoping it was going to be a clusterfuck of classic side-scrolling levels, stages from 3D Marios reimagined and just a culmination of Mario's history. Oh well, maybe there's more in the level, I haven't continued mopping it up but I doubt there's much left.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What's the button combo to do the "jump to your hat after you've thrown it in midair" thing? The Master Cup racer in Cascade is using it to get up a steep cliff and it looks awesome but I've only ever done it by accident.

Hold Y to keep your hat out and then do a dive (ZL+X) into it and you'll jump off of it, you're free to do anything after.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hedrigall posted:

You don't need to hold Y or use X at all.

Try this:
Jump, press Y to throw cap, quickly hold ZL then press Y again

Interesting, messing with this you just have to time that Y press to effectively jump off the hat again. Awesome.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cobalt Viper posted:

They're like easy mode if you wanna get all the outfits but aren't good enough to get more moons. They're unlimited.

Bah gently caress, if I knew that I wouldn't have bought any of them and just used those coins for outfits. That's at least 4000 that I've spent on buying moons.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hedrigall posted:

Edit: I bet this is you too, isn't it:

God drat this is sad.

Also, is it seriously not possible to do some moves with standard controls? How do you do the up and down hat throws?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Good news, Wedding Bowser amiibo is only $13 on Amazon :retrogames:

Does it show you where the purple coins are?

So where's the best area to farm regular coins because this 9999 costume ain't buying itself.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nephzinho posted:

Yes, it will highlight the nearest unclaimed purple.

Awesome, now I won't drive myself insane on that last couple coins I seem to be missing in most levels. Will it tell you that they're in another area accessed via a pipe or anything?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nephzinho posted:

Good question! I can test that later or tomorrow, but I imagine it'll point you to the door of the challenge room or whatever.

I'll test it out, hopefully it works. I guess going to each pipe/sectioned off area wouldn't be too bad anyway.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yup, coins too, pretty sweet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I spoofed the Bowser amiibo and used it to mop up the remainder of the Purple Coins I needed and I can confirm that if you're missing coins in another segment of the level that's barred with a pipe, warp point or other load zone the highlight that you get from the Bowser amiibo will just highlight the pipe but once you go through you can scan the amiibo again and then it will actually highlight the coins. Also, you can only have one coin highlighted at a time, until you collect it but luckily you can just scan it immediately after and there's no stupid loving waiting period like there are with the Zelda amiibos.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waltzing Along posted:

I scanned in all my amiibo but the only thing that unlocked was the wedding outfit. Do I have to do something special as well?

You haven't used the right amiibo then.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think Mario makes you briefly invincible and Peach heals you? Those felt like cheating. And I think while any Mario, Bowser and Peach will work for those effects, only the wedding trio will grant you the costumes (early).

The 8bit Mario, Diddy Kong, Wario, Waluigi, Luigi, Gold/Silver Mario and Dr Mario all give you costumes early and I got them all early in the game (I was in the Sand Kingdom). I don't think there's anything that you have to trigger to get the costumes form the amiibo.

Evil Eagle posted:

Speedruns that include the post game are going to be cool just because of the potential painting routes, I forsee people getting like 200 moons before going back to the Odyssey to drop them off

Aren't all of those painting areas mostly segregated from the rest of the map, meaning you can't get to the rest of the map? All of the ones I've found were.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PantsBandit posted:

You can just teleport to another flag :ssh:

True, but not on a first visit.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh, that makes sense. I'll try that.

Amazing. Those are all the same amiibo I used. So I guess I did use the right ones.

Did you use them at Uncle Amiibo?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, is it actually possible to catch those red-hatted Goombas? They always seem to disappear no matter what I try. Also, do you get anything special/useful if you do manage to defeat/capture one?

The girl Goomba? You're supposed to become a Goomba and go up to her, she'll give you a moon.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pollyanna posted:

What do you get from beating Dark Side? I’m going to skip it.

You free the Galaxy from the clutches of the Emperor.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

a.lo posted:

does the music change when you become yoshi

I don't believe so.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

a.lo posted:

gently caress that

I'll double check right now.

edit: Nope.

sigher fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 2, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How do you get the two Moons in the Cap Kingdom that are super high up? I don't see any way of getting up there.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thanks, I didn't think the Frog jumped that high, they look so far up I thought there was a hidden vine somewhere or something.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Commissar Ken posted:

One of them you can get with a regular jump but the one above the stack of airships you need to use the waggle jump to reach. Took me forever to figure out because my brain kept auto deleting "use motion controls to jump higher" on the frog instructions.

There's absolutely no way of doing this without having to shake my pro controller is there?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bef posted:

No but it's so minor of a thing to do so :shrug:

Yeah but on a controller with a ton of buttons not putting these extra motions on traditional controls is really odd especially since shaking a standard gamepad isn't fun.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Godinster posted:

Is this game good enough that it's worth buying a Switch for? I'm considering selling my PS4, Wii U + Breath of the Wild + Pro Controller + other games and getting the bundle. I haven't touched the PS4 in months since building a gaming PC but the exclusive Nintendo game map is pretty appealing... I bought my Wii U originally solely for Smash Bros but I have to imagine something will get announced sooner or later.

Also is the Mario bundle red nicer [subjectively of course] than the Neon colour ones? I know it's $20 more CAD and I'll probably never take the Switch out of the dock but it looks nice in pictures.

If you're on the fence about wanting a Switch, it's definitely worth picking one up to play Mario now and look forward to the rest of the line-up.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pollyanna posted:

Also at some point I thought I had heard there was a Yoshi’s Island area of some sort so I’m really bummed that didn’t make it in :negative:

The Lost Kingdom is the YI area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

cheetah7071 posted:

Games old enough to be virtual console will get that instead of remakes

Well since there doesn't seem to be any Virtual Console on the horizon, who knows? :v:

• Locked thread