Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Good example of the type of movement tech you'll want to practice/learn. Longjump > Cap Throw > Dive > Cap Jump > Cap Throw > Dive

https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/924807783052017664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

sexpig by night posted:

ok I STILL have no clue how to do the 360 Sick Hat Spin and I just got to Mr Pukey where I could really use it, what am I doing wrong?
Flick the controller sideways like you're throwing a frisbee.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

cheetah7071 posted:

Post-game question are the buyable moons truly infinite or do they cap out eventually?
They're like easy mode if you wanna get all the outfits but aren't good enough to get more moons. They're unlimited.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TFRazorsaw posted:

so it turns out there is a point to buying moons

If you max out the moon counter to 999 by buying moons, you get a secret ending where Peach's castle now has a top hat on it. If you climb to the top and throw Cappy onto the point of the hat, it plays a special animation.
That sounds fake as heck, also some Japanese guy has 12000 moons so I don't think it maxes out ever.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MachuPikacchu posted:

Just finished the game. I want to live in Bowser's Samurai Kurosawa Land forever. That entire sequence was bonkers and I loved every second.
You've only just begun.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Waffleman_ posted:

I appreciate that some of the screens in NDC have the classic Donkey Kong art including weird pizza box-rear end Jumpman.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

andipossess posted:

Your first idea was right. You have to find him flying around in the air by zooming in with the binoculars.
Thanks for this. I would have endlessly jumped from kingdom to kingdom trying to find one and hoping that by finding it it would move to another one (in the same vein as the tourist and cabbie). Now I can cross a couple 100% kingdoms off my list.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ghostinmyshell posted:

I beat this and I loved it and I have no urge to 100% and it kind of feels liberating.

For the same reason I didn't hunt seeds in Zelda, I think there are too many moons to make it worthwhile. I rather have had a hard mode where you have to collect 2x or 3x the moons to unlock the next area instead instead there's no goal for me.

One of my top 5 games for the year.
There's not even that many and they're nowhere near as tedious as korok seeds. You baby.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lobster Harmonica posted:

It's cool you can subvert the OCD of 100% completion if you want but I'm bummed there's like zero acknowledgement for 100%-ing the game at all

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MisterBibs posted:

I'm stalled out at the Luncheon Kingdom, from frame one. My paths are a corncob to a Red-Hatted Goomba that vanishes when I approach and an immobile island with a podobo occasionally jumping up. The map shows paths that are not there. What am I not being taught to do in this zone?
The goomba is searching for love. Try another goomba. And the platform needs to be reached from above, not below.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Internet Kraken posted:

Its really depressing me that the moon giving me the most trouble is 100 jump rope challenge.

Is there any trick to this? I can't even get past 50. The rhythm changing as you speed up gets me killed because Mario inevitably lands right on the rope.
It stops speeding up once it hits 50 so the trick is to make it to 50 and then hope you survive for 14 more seconds. Good luck goon.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there a moon rock anywhere in Bowser's Kingdom?
After completing the moon, Cappy will make special note to mention and highlight the moon rock in each Kingdom once you return. Check your map.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Kaubocks posted:

just stumbled across the deep woods in wooded kingdom

:stare:

That was a huge "wait wtf..." moment for me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Evil Eagle posted:

People saying that this game doesn't have a sufficient post game are insane in the brain
Same but for the people who wish it had more fan service.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Pollyanna posted:

People like to hype up the postgame like THE REAL SMODYSSEY STARTS HERE, but it’s not that impressive.
Says the guy who skipped Dark Side because it was too hard lmao.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

alf_pogs posted:

wild speculation but the mushroom kingdom feels like a hub world that got hastily bumped to the postgame for flow reasons. grinding through all the achievement moons with Toadette feels utterly painful for everybody the first time, because you have at least 15 or 20 moons to acknowledge right off the bat. it would have made sense if you started there, or returned to the mushroom kingdom early on, but as it stands its kind of out of place.
It's the first thing on the map.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Internet Kraken posted:

Its weird to play a Mario game where defualt Mario is more mobile than Yoshi.
Yoshi can do the flick flip jump though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Macaluso posted:

How do you get the wedding dress in game
All post game cosmetics are unlocked via total moon count. Alternatively, scan the Wedding Peach amiibo with the amiibo robot.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Kaubocks posted:

lmao if you don't set your wardrobe to random
The 2D sections only have a custom sprite if you're wearing matching hat/shirt combos, which is a bit disappointing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Vikar Jerome posted:

i've somehow lost the ability to jump on the cap after throwing and jump diving toward it to perform sick moves. i dont understand.
You can only jump on it once. Try holding Y to make sure the cap stays in place for you to jump on it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's pretty astounding how infrequently motion controls are actually needed in this game and how often it's brought up in this thread.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Nephzinho posted:

Darker Side: I'm at the section where you have to cross the lava on the fork jumps. Kind of bullshit that touching the lava once is pretty much a death sentence seeing as I went into that section with 6 hearts and still couldn't make it to land bouncing. How far through am i?
Probably 70% of the way done if you get through the forks.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

SyntheticPolygon posted:

My only problem with the motion controls is that some moons seem designed around getting that extra height or speed from captured enemies with the waggle, and I don't really feel like that extra boost should be a necessary factor for collectibles. The motion controls for advanced cap moves don't really bother me too much, half because most aren't actually all that useful and even the ones that are never feel necessary, and half that the last like 4 mario games have used the system's gimmicks and these honestly feel less bad than stuff like blowing into the gamepad's mic or using tilt controls for orb rolling.
There's like 4 moons out of 700 that absolutely require motion controls to get.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Nephzinho posted:

You can't, lava without nearby ground is functionally a pit.
You can definitely throw your hat on the forks to save you there. Although there are no I-frames to speak of, the lava still takes 1hp every time you touch it and isn't instakill like the purp poison.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The last moon I need to get is the 100 jump rope one and I'm pretty sure it's literally impossible and everyone claiming they got it is lying to me :sigh:

I've been trying this thing for over a week and I still haven't gotten past 60. Mario just always lands on the rope or springs to high, or I just wind up getting way to focused and beef it.

I was having issues with it where it seemed literally impossible to tap the button fast enough to keep up with the pace but then someone in this thread said to try it in handheld mode to reduce all input lag and after like 3 tries I got it. Also don't look at Mario and time your jumps from him, just go with the sound or where the rope is and use that. If you watch Mario you'll keep waiting until he hits the ground before hitting jump again which makes you too slow to keep up.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Nephzinho posted:

Holy loving poo poo that next part is hard.
:unsmigghh:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I just hit the energy things and jumped like a madman tanking damage left and right and ended up with 1hp to deal with the rest of the section which was tense as hell because of DK and the whole "2D section that rotates and randomly causes your inputs to flip".

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There's no actual acknowledgement of 100% except for tiny little dots around the globe on the Odyssey, so there's no reason to stress about getting every single moon if you don't wanna.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

alf_pogs posted:

the invisible road challenge room on the dark side can one hundred percent go to hell
I spent about 30 minutes on that one (gently caress the hitreg on those big piranhas) and then later I came across the actual cap version in another level and it was so easy.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Dr Cheeto posted:

I got 666 moons in my ship and since then I've just been using the warp portraits to get around so I don't ruin the meme number

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'm at the Wood galaxy, so I don't imagine I'm very far in, but I have every single moon to that point.
You sure about that bro?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

RCarr posted:

In my opinion it would have been better if there wasn’t a heart every 30 seconds. It would have made it truly challenging.
Just because you beat it on your first try doesn't mean it's not very hard. Your sample size makes you absolutely the incorrect person to determine how hard it actually is.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

aborn posted:

You missed one, it's near where it puts you back if you die to a boss

It's also hosed up how you can come back after each individual boss and refill, kinda defeats the purpose of a gauntlet, doesn't it?
I mean, you CAN do that, but it's extremely time consuming. I really like how this game balances challenge while also allowing people who aren't very good to see all the content if they wanna put in the time.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/929711663149805568

So it wasn't until AFTER I tried this 20 times that I realized you're just supposed to possess a fireball and swim back there and get it. Oops.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man I guess I got lucky as I first tried all the bound races and lapped a racer on the second course at one point.

Also part of me kinda hopes they patch in a fix for the final level exploit.
Not grinding my teeth over people abusing it because they're NOT TRUE GAMERS or whatever, but it's kind of a bummer that you can skip a lot of the challenge like that.
That's the most tense and challenging part too. They're only robbing themselves of the experience.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Ineffiable posted:

In your guys opinion, what's the hardest moon to get that's not dark-side related?
Not counting the weird challenge ones (races, jump rope) that some people have issues with, it's probably the 2D well in Mushroom Kingdom.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Electric Phantasm posted:

In snapshot mode how do I change it so the picture is fitted for a phone? Action guide doesn't tell me anything and I can't find anything online.
You can rotate the camera with the trigger buttons.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Over There posted:

One of my favorite moments is when I find him and the music starts playing.
doo doot doot doo DOO!!!!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I can’t do the 100 jump rope challenge :( I’ve tried everything youtube videos say to do but I can not get higher than 60
Have you tried playing in handheld mode? I felt like it was basically impossible for me to press the button fast enough to keep up with the speed on my TV, but once I switched to handheld I got it on like the 3rd try.

Also, make sure you're hitting the button on the sound cues and NOT looking at Mario's position to time your jumps. If you wait until Mario hits the ground to press jump again you'll always be late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Vikar Jerome posted:

all sub-rooms have 2 moons.
The puzzles where you gotta flip a block back and forth on a grid until it fits into a specific slot (I think there's 2 of them?) only have 1 moon.

• Locked thread