Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I have to brag somewhere about the pro gamer skillz I just pulled off so here you go (this is a middlegame area but I don't really show any of it):
https://twitter.com/Amppelix/status/923927493916049408
That last hat throw there is me flailing my arms in disbelief that I made it

Vikar Jerome posted:

also try setting motion control sensitivity to the highest.

That does nothing (because that section of the settings only concerns camera control.) It'll affect your motion sensitivity when in first person aim mode.

It is really deceptive for some reason. Took me a while to notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you can see nipples from that stamp-sized video you have a better eye than I have, or a magical CSI enhance button

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^ all possible controller combinations are supported (it says this in the action guide somewhere)

s.i.r.e. posted:

So I'm kinda confused, there seems to be so much poo poo to collect in every level but after scouring most of what I have open (the first four) there doesn't seem to be anything else around to collect or do. From what I gather it seems like new areas open in the levels as you get further into the game, am I just so early on in the game that I literally can't find the rest at this point? For instance I have 6/17 moons in the Cap Kingdom and there's literally nowhere to go here.

Also, what the hell do you do with the giant metal blocks? I've seen one in each level so far but I can't do anything with it. Do you get new abilities later in the game?

Those blocks do stuff after you beat the game, as an extra incentive to do play more after you've seen the credits. As for the amount of moons, there's a hint toad in every kingdom (except maybe bonneton, i haven't explored that very well) after you've finished all the major events there who will sell you the map location of a moon you can currently get. If he doesn't sell you any more then you're done. The hint parrot, Talkatoo, does a similar thing but for free; he only reveals moon names on your list.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Q_res posted:

Especially compared to the trainwreck that are the Bullet Bill controls. Holy poo poo...

Wait, what's wrong with the bullet bill controls?

Are you maybe trying to control it like a car (i.e. pressing left turns left slowly)? That's not how you're supposed to do it, it just goes in the direction where you point your stick. I've never had a problem with it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I was extremely shook when i found that exact thing. Like I couldn't believe my eyes for a second or something. I feel like games don't usually affect me very strongly so nostalgia must be a hell of a thing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Momomo posted:

Can you not bounce on the hat twice in the air? I've tried to do tricks but it always ends after my second dive (he won't bounce on the hat).

Nope. You can't bounce on it after any kind of extra jump, like popping out of a capture, or even a wall jump.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

So how are you pulling this off exactly? I'm at this same part and I can't seem to get this down.

I got lucky I didn't bonk my head on the wall there but the basic procedure is triple jump > throw cap > dive on top of cap (and remember to hold Y) > wall jump > throw cap again > dive again, hopefully making it where you wanted to go because you can't cap bounce again. This seems to be the biggest height you can reach using just mario's moveset and a wall.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

Though it all resets if you execute a wall jump.

If by "resets" you mean that you can't actually perform a cap bounce at all after any kind of wall jump, then yes. Otherwise you could just climb any straight wall by continually cap bouncing and wall jumping.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just reached 500 moons, which unlocks a grandmaster galaxy/ champion's road equivalent. Got probably halfway through until there was a section with the pole flicking mechanic which I'm terrible at and did not expect the game to ever seriously test. And of course, no checkpoints, so that is probably enough Mario for the day. Can't wait to die multiple times at every single "easy" section I just passed through when I come back. I hope this isn't going to take all of my play time tomorrow (it totally is).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Your Computer posted:

What are those mid-air twirls? Some motion control thing?

Press jump as you catch your hat. This is a high jump if you're on the ground and a tiny little double jump in the air (it's useless for gaining height but it goes a bit farther on the distance.)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

If it's Topper you're having trouble with (he was the one that shredded me constantly), you can jump on him while's he's spinning. His hat phases ends either after a certain period of time, or when you find him. Harriet's hat phases can be ended early by just tossing Cappy at a bomb she drops under her. You can also knock off her hat early if you angle a shot right with the smaller bombs she throws out with her hair. I didn't find Spewart all that bad. Just make sure to stay near the center and keep it clean as he paints the floor in his hat phase. You can't knock him out of it early, but you can deflect where he goes as he goes around the arena. When he's not in his hat, you can just knock his hat off instantly if you're close to the center. I find trying to deflect Rango's hat phase with Cappy too risky, instead I just walked around in circles.

one correction/addendum to this otherwise good strategy post: Spewart is actually mega easy (i mean none of the broodals are particularly tough but). As soon as the battle starts you can knock his hat off and jump on him while he's stuck spinning in place. Afterwards he retreats in his hat and will move straight towards your position. And guess what? Jumping on the hat ends this phase, so all you need to do is stand still and time a really easy jump. Rinse and repeat.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just made top 50 on the leaderboards of Luncheon Kingdom Freerunning so I want to brag for a bit, and I think the movement for this run looks really cool so here you go:
https://twitter.com/Amppelix/status/925131658235277312

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I think a lot of fun in this game is gonna come from getting moons without using the intended capture mechanics.

Oh my god this room was killing me in the game and in real life last night, I absolutely hate the frog controls. I should've just done this!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Probably not, but also none of the components really require one. All I'm doing is combinations of dives, cap bounces and wall jumps. You just need to know where to use them. Like how if you can almost make it on top of a wall but not quite, you can wall jump off it, immediately turn around and throw Cappy towards the wall, and dive after it. Diving gives you that bit of extra height with which to make the jump.

And if you don't know how to do some of these moves, all the essential ones are in the action guide.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Actually, here is a painstakingly detailed explanation + video on how to do the dive hat bounce combo from reddit. Might be helpful to some people: https://www.reddit.com/r/SuperMarioOdyssey/comments/79obe9/smo_double_cap_jump_step_by_step_crosspost/

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

So once you do a hat throw -> dive bounce -> hat throw -> dive, is there any way to recover in the air and keep doing cool stuff from that point, or are you forced to land your dive on the ground?

you can't bounce on the cap again but no other moves are prevented so you can, instead of just diving (which you cannot cancel), wall jump for a bit more height and then dive. Etc.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

i tried this the first time i went in, do NOT believe his lies

You most apparently did not go into first person mode
And if you didn't know there was a first person mode, next time read the tutorials, nerd :smug:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

In lake kingdom I'm convinced there has to be a way to skip to the top of the water terrace without going all the way to the spin flowers, but none of my attempts have worked, any ideas?

Cursory twitter search gives this video which does it https://twitter.com/Dalagonash/status/923557388069756929
As an aside, the video recording feature is really good for these short races. Most of them are the perfect lengths and I love being able to see cool strategies easily on twitter.

E: And here's an even faster strategy that just skips the platform entirely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKfbU9BFE8Q

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 31, 2017

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

How do you throw Cappy upwards?

This question, and probably many others, would be answered by people actually reading the very helpful in-game action guide and the controls page.

Who am I kidding people don't even know how to do things games give actual tutorials on sometimes how would anyone read an optional one

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^play with the joycons. If you're already doing that then I can't help, motion controls will always be the sort of thing that some people instantly master using and others never get comfortable with, no matter how much you try to explain the proper movements. I've had no trouble ever performing the move I've wanted, even in the many times I did the up throw for that freerunning I posted earlier.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm still not sure what the point in the (Final Costume spoiler) Invisibility Cap is.

I mean, good job you're totally invisible outside the shadow. Good luck actually doing anything.

Since you just beat the hardest challenge in the game to get it, the point is to use it to make the game harder on yourself, if you should so want

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

g0lbez posted:

the awful bullet bill room that's impossible to get through because of the camera (seriously was that playtested) were the only two moments I actively hated this game
Assuming this is talking about the bullet bill maze,

1. You can just skip that room by walking on the walls

2. I did that poo poo first try anyway with no trouble so clearly someone playtested it

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

:stare:

holy loly. i didn't have any trouble getting up over the wall but yeah gently caress that, this is why i'm not a speedrunner.

unrelated post-game: how the heck to i get the bird flying around cap kingdom??? it doesn't fly near any land that i could hit it with my hat, from what i've seen. flying up to it with a goomba doesn't do anything either.

I'm pretty sure I just bumped into this one with the goomba and it worked?? Are you sure you've hit it on the mark

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

It has a significant post game, but that post game is mostly a retread of existing content, with one new unique area, two areas copying the style of a previous one and that boil down to one boss rush and one long platforming challenge, and more moons to get in the same areas. It’s not a lot of new content, just mostly more of the same. You’ve seen all the cool stuff the game has to offer once you explore Peach’s Castle.

It's obvious why this is: They don't want to put too much cool poo poo behind beating the game because most people will probably not do much besides said beating of the game. Always put your best foot forward with games. Especially ones such as this which are totally designed with a player of almost any skill level in mind. If they'd had time/resources to make more levels, they'd put them in the main game itself and not as a bonus secret unlockable thingy.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

CJ posted:

It's a plus for me if your champ looks cool in a game, but it isn't content for me like it is for my nephew. I've seen him and his friends spend hours just putting on a costume, running around for a few minutes then changing to a different costume. Adults don't view cosmetics as gameplay like that, as evidenced by all the people who defend Overwatch having lootboxes in a full priced game because it's just costumes, and that's a game where costumes have more value because it's multiplayer.

Why is it "adults" who don't view costumes as content? Is this a weird dig at people who like virtual dress-up or what? Just because you don't, or even most people don't, doesn't mean that's somehow related to adulthood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol its one of the easiest parts of the game.

No, a section of the final bonus level is not "one of the easiest parts of the game"

Still, there's no reason to skip any of darker side, it's the most reasonable of all the hard bonus levels of the series, and pretty fun too.

• Locked thread