Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Larryb posted:

So what happens if you die with less than 10 coins on hand then? Do you just restart the level?

60 minute unskippable lecture hosted by Reggie on the importance of budget management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea 3D World was great but I'm eager for more 'classic' 3D Mario collectathon poo poo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I could see it being some 'Bowser is GIANT now' thing where you need to somehow possess the entire moon to fight him. At this point gently caress it, why not?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also good to see, the box confirms that you can get everything in game, but the amiibos are just easy unlocks. I will earn Mario his wedding dress, the honorable way.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WarpDogs posted:

Maybe they'll capture each other but the caps will break so they become stuck in their new bodies. then it cuts to 10 years later and yeah, that's right, this was the prequel to Super Mario Sunshine and Bowser Jr. really is the spawn of Mario-Bowser and Peach

yea just go full MGS

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/Nintendeal/status/921749757873111041

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well I mean now that someone posted them online not really

I'm a big fan of it, personally, because now I still won't need to put pants on for Mario

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea seems like the kingdoms have varying sizes basically depending on how much fun the devs felt they could get out of them. Makes sense that, say, 'city funtime Mario' would be fairly big but some more niche ones get smaller. If that's the way I'm into that, I'd rather have smaller fun environments than bloated ones that dampen the fun.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea for me it's not "OH MY GOD THE PLOT OF THIS MARIO GAME IS RUINED NOW" but just kinda "Mario sometimes does some pretty neat thing with boss designs and their big finale set-pieces and all, I'd like to be surprised by them because it's fun to go 'oh poo poo, that's a neat one'. I really doubt I'm gonna be shocked by the ending itself, but I'll be a bit bummed if it's like 3D land where the big showdown is something cool with a neat Bowser form and I see it early.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Color Printer posted:

Pretty sure they actually said nothing requires amiibo to get, which is a bit surprising but probably a good move for this game

yea I think they've said everything the amiibos unlock is 100% gettable in-game, though I imagine it'll be a bit hard to get some fancier looks. Still, 'nothing REQUIRES amiibos' is a welcome report if true

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Larrymer posted:

I'm very on the fence about getting this game. I played the last couple galaxy games and they were ok (no Wii U or 3DS for the more recent ones). I loved SM64 but haven't really gotten into one like that for a loooong time.

Still, I'm considering preordering from amazon just to save the money since it'll never go on sale then just leave it in the shrink wrap if I decide I don't want it.

this seems very much like a love letter to Mario in general, but especially SM64

Raserys posted:

Get this game

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Random answers There's about 660 moons total. Post game scatters a bunch in previously explored worlds too. Substages it's kind of hard to put a number on as there's a lot all over the danged place but they're mostly unique and varied. I don't know if people have 100% it yet because I haven't yet and I haven't been looking into other reactions to leaked gameplay/whatever. I have no idea on Delfino. Would be interesting at the very least!

All in all how varied are the moons? Is there a good bit of fun weird stuff mixed in with the normal platforming and I assume stuff like red coins?

Also goddamn Nintendo, let me preorder from the eshop so I can stare longingly at the icon at least!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Huh, egg on my face then :v:

For the most part they're alright? Some of them feel like padding out a number but it really shouldn't bother anyone unless they're shooting for completion.

There's moons for doing random minigames, quizzes, running in a perfect circle, ground pounding random spots of the map, poking around towns just about everything.

E: I don't get how anyone could be on the fence about Odyssey. Like what's making you think it'll actually be bad/not fun?

Sounds good to me. I don't hear that many collectibles and not expect at least a fair amount of 'uuuh yea climb this convenient clock tower shut up we needed a round number in this level' but as long as there's a nice variety I'm good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea according to the Giant Bomb vid you can disable them for aiming and all but the 'shake the joycons to fly faster' are hardlocked as motion controls. Dan also did say that they don't really ever NEED to be done, so it's kinda a wash.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Your Computer posted:

that sounds kinda weird and dumb since the Switch is a handheld and shaking your handheld sounds like a bad idea

yea like I said it seems to entirely be restricted to 'shake to make a BIG spray' kinda stuff that you can ignore but...yea a bit unfortunate that it seems you HAVE to shake your handheld device?

Zooey Dave Chapelle posted:

joy cons arent very comfy but the pro controller is amazing, totally worth the price imo

I'm a big weirdo who likes the joycons and plays Breath of the Wild and Splatoon with them so I'm eager to Mario with my stupid neon hands.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
God this is a good game. Like,yea no poo poo the game getting 10/10 reviews is good but goddamn it just FEELS good. I love Mario.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm running into an annoying confusion. In the early stuff it said 'snap your joycons to the side' to do a 360 hat toss but when I do that motion I just do a super toss straight ahead. Is there a trick or am I just dumb?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CDHiggs posted:

I've played for about 8 hours today (took off from work just for this), and I've got 92 moons and just arrived at New Donk City (not the secret entrance, either). I feel like I've left a lot of stuff undiscovered in the earlier levels, which makes me wonder just how large this game is. Not having a ton of free time, I was hoping to beat it this weekend.

you can probably beat it as in get the ending over the weekend, but it's one of those 'post games tons of moons get added all over and there's a couple bonus levels' kinda things. Just take it easy and enjoy, there's nothing super special locked by progression, just more of the gameplay loop.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
ok I STILL have no clue how to do the 360 Sick Hat Spin and I just got to Mr Pukey where I could really use it, what am I doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cobalt Viper posted:

Flick the controller sideways like you're throwing a frisbee.

ooooooh ok, I was just fuckin up then. Thanks!

Your Computer posted:

but don't actually throw the controller please :ohdear:

Don't tell me what to do!

• Locked thread