Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Macaluso posted:

In the river there's a spot that has some coins around it on the ground, with a plant growing in the middle of them. Nearby there's one of those coin purse monsters that will drop coins for you as you walk but his attack will shoot coins and they will be removed from your actual coin count. You have to sit there at that plant and just shoot coins at it. Like multiple hundreds of your coins to make the plant slowly grow and eventually a moon will come out. It's dumb

Don't shoot coins. Stand directly on top of it and waggle. Much faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

I have 80 of 82 music tracks. One missing track is between two Steam Gardens songs and there better be an 8-but version of it hidden away somewhere god drat it.

Check out the cliff faces in the vicinity of the Secret Flower Garden.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

You know the scene at the beginning where Princess Peach is screaming "Mario!" and reaching out to him for help as Bowser laughs and takes her away?

In reality, Bowser is just a normal man. A "Chad" in some circles, with whom Peach, an attractive but ultimately normal citizen, is madly in love. Bowser and Peach are simply fleeing from her short, underdeveloped, pedo-mustached incel stalker.

We are simply viewing the world through the cracked, gritty lens of a lonely plumber, his desperation so wholly consuming it has manifested in complete delusional hallucination.

This take was already cold when it showed up in Braid (2008).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

TFW you find a random moon, then see the name and realize it's a recurring moon type.

E: HOW THE gently caress AM I SUPPOSED TO WIN ANY OF THESE RACES

In addition to shortcuts and platforming virtuosity, in a lot of them you can use the same route as the gold koopa but use long jumps and/or rolls to do it faster than him.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nintendo translator Rob T. posted a description of the process of localizing "Jump Up, Super Star!"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

That link don't exist.

Weird. It looks like they took it down. Fortunately I still have the tab open, so I can reproduce it.

It starts with a link to the localization demo version of the song.

quote:

Hey, it’s me Rob T. from the Treehouse. So, you may have noticed that some guy (spoiler, it’s me) is singing a not-quite-right version of “Jump Up, Super Star!” in that audio there. Maybe you’re wondering why? Well, let me tell you…

Life in the Treehouse moves pretty fast, and it can be hard to remember when you did what, and sometimes even why, so I had to check my e-mail archives to figure out that we started working on the lyrics for the songs in Super Mario Odyssey back in January of this year. (…Unless it was earlier? Who knows, man.)

Faults in my memory aside, the prospect of working on some songs at work was an exciting one. As a former music and Japanese double major, the idea that I would be using BOTH my degrees at my actual job was amazing. Who does that? Besides, I mean, people who chose their majors for more practical reasons…

When I became involved, the song that would eventually become “Jump Up, Super Star!” was basically done, at least as far as the music was concerned. The song was already going to be a hit in my mind, no matter what the lyrics ended up being, and at that time, the first section already had Japanese lyrics, written by Nobuyoshi Suzuki at NCL. I translated them thusly:

quote:

The symbol of a voyage, let’s start to raise the sails
A tailwind dances at our backs
Flip a coin, the goddess who’ll tell our fortune
Blows a kiss
Let’s sing our love as brightly as
All the lights in all the world
Then jump! (JUMP SE)
And grab! (COIN SE)
Say yeah!!! (yeah!!!)
Let’s dream together
Love together
If we walk with our eyes to the sky
Once all our tears have fallen
We’ll get a 1UP
Let’s all
Jump up high and high five
Tap and dance
I’m a superstar lighting up the world
Switching you on to happiness
So, let’s dance the Odyssey!!!
(Chorus)
Odyssey, ya see! etc.

Obviously, directly translating song lyrics leaves you with…well, something that won’t actually work as lyrics in the target language. But it’s clear that Suzuki-san and the team wanted something big and romantic. A love song of sorts.

I listened to the song a few more times and set about creating a first draft of the English lyrics, taking the ideas from the above and fleshing them out so there would be enough syllables to match the rhythm and melody of the song.

Mayor Pauline is a fantastic vocalist, so we had to make sure she had an equally fantastic song to sing.

Here’s what I ended up with:

quote:

Oh we’re ta- / -king a trip / Here we go it’s time to raise the sails
The wind is dancing at our backs
Flip a coin / Make a wish / and the goddess might just blow a kiss
Boy I’d say your fortune’s looking good
Le-et your love shine as bright as the lights in this whole wide wonderful world
Jump with me / (grab) coins with me / Oh yeah!
Together we can live our dreams /
This love is what it seems /
So keep your chin up as you trek alone/
And when the tears they start to fall /
There’ll be no need to fear ‘cause /
I’ll be your 1UP girl
So let’s all jump up super high / and high five in the sky /
There’s no power-up like da-a-ncing /
You know that I’m the superstar /
No one else can take you this far /
I’m flipping the switch / are you ready for this /
Oh, let’s do the Odyssey
Odyssey, ya see!

As you can see, a lot of that first draft did survive through to the final version of the lyrics.

At this point, Rob Heiret (main English writer on Super Mario Odyssey) and I passed the lyrics back and forth a few times, until we had the following:

quote:

This time we’re / off the rails / Here we go let’s raise our sails
It’s freedom like you never knew
Grab a coin / Make a wish / and the goddess might just blow a kiss
You could say my hat is off to you
We-e can zoom all the way to the moon from this great wide wacky world
Jump with me / (grab) coins with me / Oh yeah!
Together we can live our dreams /
This love is what it seems /
So keep your chin up as you trek alone/
And when we’re underground in gloom, /
Don’t fear, don’t shed a tear, 'cause /
I’ll be your 1UP shroom
So let’s all jump up super high / high up in the sky /
There’s no power-up like da-a-ncing /
You know that you’re my superstar /
No one else can take me this far /
I’m flipping the switch / are you ready for this /
Oh, let’s do the Odyssey
Odyssey, ya see!

We now felt like what we had was worth sharing with the folks on the Japan side, so I went into my home studio (living room) and whipped up a demo version. I’m not sure if it is fortunate or embarrassing that I didn’t delete these demos once the project was done, but up top you can hear what that sounded like.

Too bad it couldn’t have been “Mayor Paul.” If you’re curious, I’m singing the song down a 6th in Eb because singing in the original key of C was not going to happen for me.

After we sent off the demo, the first round of feedback we got from NCL was really illuminating. They liked a lot of what we’d done, but also wanted a lot of it to change. For one thing, we’d leaned a little hard on the Mario references.

Through conversations with Suzuki-san, Naoto Kubo (the composer), and Shigetoshi Gohara (the overall sound producer), we learned more about their vision for the song: that it should be a fun, bombastic jazz number you could enjoy even if you had no connection or familiarity with Mario, but that would reward you even more, with little allusions to the Mario universe, if you were a Mario fan.

The same can be said of the musical that was produced to help promote the game as well—it’s fun to watch no matter who you are, but Mario fans will catch little details like Mario’s classic block-punch in the choreography.

The Mario references had to be at such a level that if you knew, then you knew, but if you didn’t, you wouldn’t really notice.

Another big goal from the dev team was to make the chorus as catchy as possible—simple and repetitive so even people who don’t speak English might be able to pick up on the lyrics and sing along.

So, we had our work cut out for us.

Over the next couple of months, I settled into a pattern of adjusting and rewriting the lyrics, sending those around internally at NOA for more feedback, recording a demo, sending that to NCL, getting more feedback, rewriting, and then doing all of that again.

More than a few times, we even had video conferences with Gohara-san, Kubo-san, and Suzuki-san at NCL headquarters, where we would come up with new ideas on the fly that I would sing back to them then and there. I wonder what that sounded like outside the room…

At the end of that long (but fun) process, we had the lyrics for the first verse nailed down and realized that we were going to need two more verses. Oh, and we realized we had to record the song in about three weeks’ time. So, yeah… Things were going to need to speed up.

And they did! Here’s the first draft of the second verse:

quote:

Spin the wheel / take a chance/ every journey starts a new romance
A new world’s calling out to you
Take a turn / off the path / find a new addition to the cast
You know that any captain needs a crew
You can play it in 3D or 8-bit they’re just different points of view
Down the pipe / there’s an extra life / oh yeah!
(Come on and) Jump up in the air /
Jump without a care
Jump up ‘cause you know that I’ll be there
And if you find you’re short on joy
Don’t fret, just don’t forget that
You’re still our 1UP boy
So go on straighten up your cap / let your toes begin to tap
This rhythm is a power shroom /
Don’t forget you’re the superstar /
No one else could make it this far /
Put a comb through that ‘stache / you’ve got panache
Oh, let’s do the Odyssey

Except for the “3D or 8-bit” line, and the “down the pipe” stuff, that’s pretty much what the final lyrics ended up being.

One thing Gohara-san and company really focused on was making sure that the lyrics felt good to sing, and that’s always been something I’ve really focused on in my own songwriting over the years as well. Aside from the actual meaning of the words, lyrics should have an intrinsic aesthetic appeal.

Gotta get those toes tapping, after all, right?

Which isn’t to say that meaning isn’t important, or wasn’t important when working on these lyrics. That said, I’ve found the various interpretations I’ve seen of our final lyrics to be way more thoughtful than my own.

A lot of people think there’s a deliberate “sails/sales” pun in the first line, as in: “Here we go, it’s time to raise our sales!” Sadly, I’m not that clever.

The best interpretation I’ve heard seems to have come out of Japan. I heard about it during the height of E3, when the song debuted. See, people read a lot into the idea that Pauline (in their eyes, Mario’s ex-girlfriend, though I’d never really thought of her that way) was singing a song to cheer him on as he undertakes an epic journey to rescue his current girlfriend (again, feels weird to type that out, but who am I to argue with other people’s headcanons?).

Kinda makes you think about Pauline differently, doesn’t it? Especially when you take a shot of her in Snapshot Mode and the moment you caught the fireworks almost makes them look like tears. I’m sorry, Pauline!

Viewed through that prism, the song becomes—while still joyful and upbeat—incredibly bittersweet at the same time. Again, I’d love to take credit for that, but I know I at least wasn’t cognizant of any of that stuff, really. I just wanted the song to feel good when you sing it.

And from the very humbling reception the song has gotten, it seems like it does! So thanks for listening, singing, and reading.

—Rob T.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Capsaicin posted:

uh holy poo poo this game has a lot of stuff after the credits, huh?

The credits mark the end of the tutorial.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

How do I get into the underwater pipe with the fruit stuck in it if Yoshi just dies when he hits water.

Overall I'm really disappointed with Yoshi in this game so far. I'd much rather ride him around and he can't touch water and he's a pain to get to.

Basic hint: You could drain the moat in Mario 64
More of a hint: Try swimming around in it as Mario first
The answer: There are four posts underwater in the moat. Pull them out with Cappy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"tumblrinas" what the gently caress year am I in

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Seriously the final challenge in the game is a boss rush?

Christ alive, you have loving moon physics and you choose this?

There's more.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Run forward. While continuing to move forward, jump, then press jump immediately upon landing in order to do a double jump. Then press jump again when you land from the double jump to do a triple jump.

You can't do a triple jump if you're not moving forward the whole time. That is, you can't do it from a stationary start, and you can't do it if you change direction during the double jump.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

My favorite part of speedruns is when there's something that the player basically has to sit around and wait to be finished, so they fill the time with completely unnecessary showboating. I also like them better when they're of games which still resemble normal play when speedrun. However, these are probably the games that are the least interesting to speedrunners.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pierson posted:

Quick yes/no question: Is there anything behind getting every single moon, or is 500 my last major milestone that has a cool reward behind it?

There are some thresholds beyond 500 that result in new costumes being for sale, I think. Not far beyond 500, though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There are a lot of bounds glitches being used in Hide It.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So when I look at my Balloon World stats, underneath each kingdom where I've got a balloon hidden, there's a code. What can I actually do with that code?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Oh, I totally missed the "Enter balloon code" button in Find It. Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There are a lot of coins along the path.

• Locked thread