Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

WarpDogs posted:

I watched that speed running video and felt very smug that i found more moons than they did. although I still don't have a clear grasp of what designates a 'cutscene of Mario being real psyched' moon and the rest of them. they all looked pretty similar?

Really my only disappointment was that I was under the impression you could possess nearly anything - sorta like Scribblenauts mixed with those Source Engine prop games. It was a little surprising that I made it through the demo and only found two possible possessions (bullet bill and shades statue)

but that's just on me. i'm sure the puzzles will be a lot better if the things you can possess are limited - it allows them to be handcrafted and have a 'right' answer

I might be completely wrong but I think you can possess just about anything as long as they're not wearing hats or other forms of headwear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad i'm generally ok with motion controls, game's been a blast for the first 4 or so worlds. And i'm expecting it to continue the trend.

Also, i'm glad that after clearing out cap and cascade i've decided against getting all moons and coins before moving on. Getting a majority then going to the next level is better for the pace and for the game's enjoyment. At least for me. Game was still cool + good when I was scouring worlds for goodies but some of the moons are in silly locations and missing only a couple of purple coins when everything else is done is sorta frustrating.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Not finding all the purple coins bothers me more than not finding all the moons since it seems there are more you can only snag later on.

But seriously I’m like 4 coin shorts in hat land and 3 in cascade and I’m going g mad trying to find them.

Have you collected the 4 from behind where you start once you go into the cap tower? That had me stumped for way too long, even though they weren't even that hidden.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Actually my problem with the motion controls is that I didn't read that the Frog had a better jump attached to a motion control and was loving stumped on how to get a Moon till I finally learned how to read and then got it instantly

:yeah:

Except I didn't read anything I just accidentally did a super jump and was incredibly confused about how after trying to do a perfect jump for 5 minutes I managed to jump twice as high.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Most of the motion controls so far have basically just been Mario Galaxy level waggle to do a spin, and i've played enough Galaxy to have kinda grown accustomed to that and not be bothered by it. Only annoyance is the spin throw because it is strangely precise and took me a world or two to really get it down, which is probably longer than it should have.

My actual control complaint is that I feel the dive shouldn't be on the same button as the cap throw. Sometimes i'm trying for a sweet jump and i'll toss Cappy instead and miss my moment. It works right most of the time but happens just enough for me to wish the dive was on x instead of y.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Even though games journalism is what it is, I'm still surprised to see all these sweeping 10/10 GOAT holy shiiiiiit gushing reviews and almost zero mention of the motion control issues.

It's come up in most of the reviews I've read.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Thinking about it more, I don't think my biggest problem is with the motion controls themselves, because as people have pointed out, the vast majority of motion controlled moves have ways to do them with button presses.

I guess my biggest problem with the game, and overall it's a small one, is that the X button doesn't automatically do the hat spin.
Having to swirl the L-stick around until the game decides to recognize that you want to spin around before you can do the hat spin is a problem.

Also, why aren't all straight hat throws homing throws? If the hat doesn't hit anything by the end of its travel, just make it auto-change to a homing throw.

You might be wanting to do a hat jump. Agree that the spin should be on X though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, Metro Kingdom is a really great level. It starts really strongly and uniquely and it ends really strongly and uniquely and everything in between ruled as well. I got 40 orbs without needing hints or really having to search all that hard. I mean, New Donk City has high orb density but it's so fun to explore and there's side-areas everywhere. There's not even any real enemies or obstacles outside of a couple of moons. It's just a really well built map and cool place to explore.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Secretly the best part of Odyssey is seeing some enemies hair styles once their hats are off. I didn't even know Fire Bros had hair!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I just found a thing in the game that I really don’t even want to put in spoiler tags because of how much it surprised me

There’s a portrait in the food world that shows you a world before you get there

E: Wait I misunderstood the post. Yeah, that was a surprise.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

New Donk City becomes amazing once you can reliably pull off complex jumps between rooftops. There's nothing more satisfying than successfully long jumping, hat throwing, diving, hat throwing again and diving again to clear a big gap.

Wooded Kingdom question: Can you get to the top of the tallest tower? Above the entrance to where the flower-stealing UFO boss was. I've tried getting there with an Uproot but no luck. And the flying lizard dude can't get that high.

Wooded Kingdom question 2: Is there any purpose to the coin-spitting frog thing you can capture in that meadow right near the tallest tower?

To question 2 there's a rock he can break near the meadow that hides a heart I think and you can use him to break a block hiding a moon right near the odyssey. There's probably other ways to do it but that's how I managed it.

Also man, treasure made of coins in the Deep Forest is the silliest moon i've found so far. That's a really dumb way to get a collectible.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Calaveron posted:

So was Captain Toad squirreled away in every single level before you hit the post game? Because I only started finding him after that

Haven't beaten the game yet but i've found him in every kingdom except Sand.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I learned from the map pamphlet thing that the people of New Donk are not humans, but New Donkians

so it's cool, it's fine everybody, crisis averted

I mean obviously. They don't look anything like Mario.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nephzinho posted:

Hit my first moon I can't seem to get. I think I have the solution, use the petal to guide the bullet bill towards the pillar and then cap it as you float below it to get the extra range before exploding, but I can't seem to get Sand Kingdom "East Pillar". Might just be executing what in
I'm trying, and if so I'm psyched for how demanding some of these post game moons are.

If it's the one i'm thinking of just jump from the top of the pyramid.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If you just jump on Rango as he's hopping around the phase ends immediately.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm disappointed all these sphinx moons just involve spotting him and answering no questions. I like that guy, I want to chat with him more.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The ring he stole doesn't even fit, come on man you can do better. Bowser goes big and that's admirable but I don't think he's really put too much thought into this wedding thing, just grabbing the biggest and bestest things imaginable and hoping that's all a wedding is.

E:Admittedly outside of that ring they're basically all home-runs though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Technically the Broodals are the one stealing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

My only problem with the motion controls is that some moons seem designed around getting that extra height or speed from captured enemies with the waggle, and I don't really feel like that extra boost should be a necessary factor for collectibles. The motion controls for advanced cap moves don't really bother me too much, half because most aren't actually all that useful and even the ones that are never feel necessary, and half that the last like 4 mario games have used the system's gimmicks and these honestly feel less bad than stuff like blowing into the gamepad's mic or using tilt controls for orb rolling.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nephzinho posted:

Darker Side: I'm at the section where you have to cross the lava on the fork jumps. Kind of bullshit that touching the lava once is pretty much a death sentence seeing as I went into that section with 6 hearts and still couldn't make it to land bouncing. How far through am i?

Mostly done but one of the sections to come is what i'd consider the only consistently difficult part of the level, so it might take a bit.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cobalt Viper posted:

There's like 4 moons out of 700 that absolutely require motion controls to get.

Yeah I know it's not much but when I collect those moons it feels weird that these did require motion controls when everything else didn't. Just feels like a designer forgot to adjust something.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Pokio was the only thing that got me. Forks were easy though, didn't think I died to them at all. Really Darker Side of the Moon is all about endurance, there's only one challenge in the whole thing that i'd say is particularly hard but the difficultly is that it's long and there's no checkpoints.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Please help

You just need to run around like an idiot hopefully accomplishing other things while having the dog follow behind you and sniffing out secrets. If you've got everything else then it's just scouring the map waiting for the dog to find the hidden moon.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

New Donk City's probably my favourite level. It's fantastic.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I legitimately liked the Dark Side fights. After a few deaths you just kinda learn alternate ways to end phases early or skip them entirely and it's fun to perfect those fights and learn all their tricks. Except with Spewart he's just kinda super easy and simple from the get-go. Mecha-Broodal after the 4 fights would've been an issue but the Hammer Bros outrange them so heavily it's a lot easier than at Bowser Kingdom.

Kinda wish I knew about the free 6 heart pickup before I beat them though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mario's dive even without a cap jump afterwards is basically the greatest addition to his moveset. And then once you do add in the cap jump afterwards it becomes the best feeling movement in 3d platforming.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like the broodals accents.

Also, in this game about hats they're the only ones outside of Bowser and Mario who use hat based weaponry and that's fun.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BattleHamster posted:

Yea I thought they were pretty forgettable as characters and none of the fights were really that interesting or fun. The thing I liked most about them is they all have tricks you could use to end the fights faster.

Those tricks made the fights interesting and fun imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean she tells everyone to get on and come with.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I drew a picture of the peck birb for my brother because its his favorite capture.

Which made me wonder what my own favorite capture is and I can't come up with an actual answer. There are just a lot I really like equally. I guess the onion because I didn't expect "grow tall" to be a mechanic utilized so well.

Pokio is a powerful friend. Strongest capture is steak though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Reallycoolname posted:

Christ, the 2D section in the well in Mushroom Kingdom is some high-speed way to murder all the goodwill I had for this game after its awesome ending. gently caress whoever decided the smaller sections didn't need checkpoints.

That's one of them post-game difficulty post-game challenges.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

The last section of this was really the only portion I had trouble just for how inconsistent those controls feel on the orb platforms.

I finished that area and then instantly found Hard Mode Picture Match and I haven't touched the game in like a day now

The bullet bill section was fun tho, it reminded me a lot of hard Mario Maker levels which I was big on for a while

Hard Mode Picture Match is something i've decided i'm completely fine with never doing. I'm glad that's a thing in Odyssey. I can just not do a moon I don't like and be completely ok.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

I got it second try. No post-it note over the screen or anything. Just use your eyes!

Maybe my eyes are bad!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Topper is extremely powerful.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

he's by far the hardest part of the gauntlet. if you can crush him, you'll find the rest of it a breeze

I died a couple of times to the others as well because i'm a fool and made obvious mistakes.

I mean I beat it without even realising a 6 heart existed there but I can see why people'd like to have it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

I saw a speedrun of that fight. I did not know you could do that. :catstare:

Starts at 1:02:40

I didn't even realise you could climb the legs while they were still armoured. That's really cool. What other stuff have I missed with the bosses?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Off the top of my head, you might have missed being able to hit all four Broodals at weird times (I'm horrible with their names):
-lanky dude you can just jump on while his hats are out without hitting them to turn them into spinny jump things
-Spewart? you can hit while he's spitting poison in a circle
-Topper? you can knock out of invulnerability by hitting the correct hat he's hiding under a couple times
-Harriet? you can both knock out of invulnerability by hitting a dropped bomb back at her, and also knock the early bombs back at her before she does the big ones on her hair to deal actual damage

plus you don't have to turn back into Mario to hurt the Seaside boss, just spit water at the vulnerable point on his head

I figured out most of those except Rango's though it's kind of obvious now that I think about it (I couldn't reliably pull Topper's off though). You can also jump on him as he's hopping around in his spiked hat to end his invulnerable phase as well. Spewart's the easiest by far but I feel like there's probably a way to end his invulnerability phase as well, maybe just by jumping on his hat?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Snake Maze posted:

Even better - just wait until he does his spin attack. You can jump on his back during it no matter how many hats he has on.

I'm a big fan of the broodal fights in this game, each of them has a couple tricks you can figure out instead of it just being a fixed "dodge until the obvious opening" thing.

They're really good. Figuring those fights out made the gauntlet a fun time even though I kept dying.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

g0lbez posted:

Only two moons left but holy poo poo I do not want to smack a volleyball around for an hour

Just buy an extra moon and live happily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Broodals are cool fights with a couple of tricks to each of them to skip phases or end them early which honestly makes it feel like they've got a bit more to them than some of the more cinematic fights even though they're just mid-bosses. They kinda need those though since you fight them 3 times each but it's a nice thing and gives you more to learn in the refights.

• Locked thread