Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
This game is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

This game is so cool, how are there possibly that many moons??? I definitely can't find 50+ in the city, I feel like I must be missing a huge section of it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

A bunch of moons are only obtainable in postgame.

Yeah but there's over 50 on the checklist even before then - I have like 30 in this one. I haven't been trying to do everything in one pass but usually I can do better than this.

I did get a motor scooter parking one after driving it up some stairs which is pretty funny, doubly so given that I'm talking about a mario game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

I can think of at least two that appear in the original list of moons but are still postgame-locked in that kingdom alone, there's probably more

Mmm, I guess there's precedent in that I'm pretty sure cloud kingdom only has one available from the two spots on the list, unless I get a moon for 100 points on goomba make-a-face. (Please no...)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

If you talk to the hint toad or the parrot, they'll tell you they're out of hints if you cannot get any more moons yet. They update as new moons are added.

Wait....really? I figured they just didn't give hints on the harder ones....interesting. I've been doing better than I thought in that case.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

stay tuned for the upcoming super mario odyssey maker

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Haha I was wondering if it was possible to win without the bike....good to know.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

hahah no.

you mean the new donk city rehash with the vanishing floors? just roll straight ahead on the first part (the tank shell wont hit you) and then on the second part you are gonna want to learn how to do quad jumps (real easy to get the hang of), long jump into a triple jump, your speed is much faster and you'll make it no problem. 3rd section is easy peasy for both moons.
What do you mean by "quad jumps"? Is that jump, hat, dive, hat, dive?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Movement with cappy feels the best that mario movement ever has, for what it's worth. I already liked 3D world better than mario 64 but this one seems really particularly good. I wish that there weren't so many "endgame-only but simple, in-the-open" moons - kind of a bummer that I couldn't just get those my first time through, saving the well-hidden ones for the moon rocks.

Wish I could play as peach but ah well, pretty awesome overall. Throwing the hat on stuff is a great way to do powerups.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

qbert posted:

I've gotten every purple coin and every moon except Volleyball, Jump Rope, Dark Side platforming stuff, and Darker Side.

I assume this is when I'll start to hate the game?

there's a final moon available only to those who realize they don't have to play mario volleyball to find peace

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Inescapable Duck posted:

I liked that game (though I may have just been desperate for a new Star Fox) but also brings to mind Nintendo's motion control experiments in general. People seem to have impossible standards for Nintendo games while being amazed that any other developer deigns to change things even slightly from formula.

This is the risk of big changes - it's really impressive when it's good, but it can be really bad when it's bad. Other developers don't often take the risk - nintendo leaps in and sometimes it's bad. I don't think criticism of nintendo's duds is the same as encouraging the boring "Call of Duty 2k17" stuff - I'm coming from the position of someone who doesn't buy that crap in the first place.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Edge clinging gets you past lots of stuff, like the rolling rocks at the end of the underground Moon cave that you're supposed to charge through.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Can't you just play "actually play darker side%" instead? What's the point of the category if you don't play the fun final level? Shouldn't you have just stopped at 253 or whatever???

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't care about glitchless, they can use the frog glitch within darker side for all I care, but it's dumb to play a category that exists only so you play this one level and then not play the level.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

CJ posted:

It's a plus for me if your champ looks cool in a game, but it isn't content for me like it is for my nephew. I've seen him and his friends spend hours just putting on a costume, running around for a few minutes then changing to a different costume. Adults don't view cosmetics as gameplay like that, as evidenced by all the people who defend Overwatch having lootboxes in a full priced game because it's just costumes, and that's a game where costumes have more value because it's multiplayer.

Giving people only a random subset of costumes means you get to see all the costumes in games occasionally instead of everyone picking from the few best ones. I think it'd be fine if they didn't also encourage kids to gamble with real money.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I would have been totally into more directly odyssey-related elements, like cyclopes or scylla and charybdis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Hey even as a middle schooler I realized I would be rewarded even harder if I found equanimity in not doing 100 super jumps.

• Locked thread