Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What caused the Late Bronze Age Collapse?
goku
gently caress you
The Sea Peoples
semen
The Dorians
The Doors
:iiam:
:chaostrump:
:burgerpug:
:secsmug:
:420:
:wink:
Natural disasters
Climate change
:krust:
View Results

• Locked thread
The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Very weird that a bunch of people on a random comedy website message board are super knowledgeable about the bronze age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

The Dennis System posted:

Very weird that a bunch of people on a random comedy website message board are super knowledgeable about the bronze age.

We are the Sea People, we retreated back under the sea to shitpost.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I fondly remember the ITT Bronze Age Collapse thread.

Someone posted lines of the Illiad along with pictures of Mycenaean armour and it was really cool to see that the descriptions of boar tusk helmets and the like were dead on. It was pointed out that the only part of a Mycenaean noble (i.e Achilles) that wasn't covered in bronze armour was the heels. Very cool.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Dennis System posted:

if you've been paying attention to this beloved forum you might notice that we have a few threads going back a few years talking about the sea people because it's drat cool mystery history

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

http://ancientworldpodcast.blogspot.com/

Is a very good, and EXTREMELY LONG podcast regarding ancient history. If you have hundreds of hours to waste, or a specific interest, give it a listen.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
The Sea People Did Nothing Wrong

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

basic hitler posted:

if you've been paying attention to this beloved forum you might notice that we have a few threads going back a few years talking about the sea people because it's drat cool mystery history

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

We are the Sea People, we retreated back under the sea to shitpost.

I wasn't trying to be critical, mind you. It's impressive that you guys know all this stuff.

naem
May 29, 2011

Here is a really good hour long video about possible causes of the Bronze Age collapse on YouTube if anyone's interested, he talks a lot about the interconnected economy of the whole region being necessary to finance Bronze production and how fragile the whole thing was

https://youtu.be/bRcu-ysocX4

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

naem posted:

Here is a really good hour long video about possible causes of the Bronze Age collapse on YouTube if anyone's interested, he talks a lot about the interconnected economy of the whole region being necessary to finance Bronze production and how fragile the whole thing was

The book by the same title is really good.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

naem posted:

very pro click

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Randaconda posted:

The book by the same title is really good.

Seconding. One of the best books on the period.

Can someone briefly explain how Palace-based economies worked? It's one of the things from the period I can't wrap my head around.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Just watched that youtube. Wanna enrol in that guy's classes.

naem
May 29, 2011

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

With only spooty records available from that time it's difficult to know how they made war. For example we know they used both sonic and psionic weaponry but we don't know in what ratio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8WhOOmVOpY

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

poverty goat posted:

It's kind of like how retarded dinosaurs would still rule the earth if a meteor hadn't hit the earth during a period of catastrophic volcanism and wiped them all out. Stability never produces great leaps forward.

This is why I voted for president Donald Trump of the United States of America. See you all on the other side

Its longer than you think!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The worship of Inanna/Ishtar, which was prevalent in Mesopotamia could involve wild, frenzied dancing and bloody ritual celebrations of social and physical abnormality. It was believed that "nothing is prohibited to Inanna", and that by depicting transgressions of normal human social and physical limitations, including traditional gender definition, one could cross over from the "conscious everyday world into the trance world of spiritual ecstasy."

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

FuhrerHat posted:

yea probably

although the only nation to beat off the sea people was egypt so maybe you need iron to fight iron

Or maybe you just need a sexy merman disguise.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I can't fall asleep now until I know the end: why did it collapse? I'll wait.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i know the time lines dont line up, but i still say iron weapons killed the bronze age. it makes perfect sense, ironworking is the ultimate disruptive technology. to make bronze requires extensive trade routes and developed civilization, but any hillbilly in the back woods can smelt bog iron. suddenly the fringe people can make weapons, when before only the powerful could afford them. recipe for disaster

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Rutibex posted:

i know the time lines dont line up, but i still say iron weapons killed the bronze age. it makes perfect sense, ironworking is the ultimate disruptive technology. to make bronze requires extensive trade routes and developed civilization, but any hillbilly in the back woods can smelt bog iron. suddenly the fringe people can make weapons, when before only the powerful could afford them. recipe for disaster

I think the motivation was food (crops failed too much!) and the means was iron casting. Case closed.

naem
May 29, 2011

I think the drive to make useful iron/steel wasn't there until the tin supply (to make bronze with) became unreliable.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I think the bronze age people were decadent homosex partiers which caused the collapse.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

That Robot posted:

Actually the Bronze Age ancient Mesopotamian pantheon rules.

Yep

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i always wondered how long an (uninjured) soldier fought on average before being replaced

surely this was recorded, somewhere

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 15, 2017

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Pththya-lyi posted:

Not quite Bronze Age collapse time, but still interesting:

Apparently a lot of archaeologists think the "knife" was just a spearhead that happened to fall down from a shelf onto the 18-year-old and that there's no evidence the platform was an altar, but come on, they totally sacrificed that kid and the gods found the sacrifice unworthy

It feels like you have to add a lot of supposition in a story about a temple we know was destroyed in an earthquake in order to come out with an answer other than that all of the people there died when a building fell on them

That or the Sea People

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

naem posted:

I think the drive to make useful iron/steel wasn't there until the tin supply (to make bronze with) became unreliable.

A smart person. Iron working is more complicated than most people think. It's not just throw a red rock over some fire. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrought_iron

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 15, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Inescapable Duck posted:

'Sea people' are actually just pirates

Footage of them ending the Bronze Age

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grevling posted:

I think the bronze age people were decadent homosex partiers which caused the collapse.

My religious grandparents and thus parents were convinced when I was a kid that the Roman empire fell because it "went against God and became corrupt."

When I actually read history I realized it was more "The Romans found monotheistic religion when they were on the way out."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

A smart person. Iron working is more complicated than most people think. It's not just throw a red rock over some fire. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrought_iron

So basically, bronze requires more materials and thus is more expensive to make, but easier to work with at the start, while iron is harder to use but incredibly useful once you figure out how?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

My religious grandparents and thus parents were convinced when I was a kid that the Roman empire fell because it "went against God and became corrupt."

When I actually read history I realized it was more "The Romans found monotheistic religion when they were on the way out."

They were also very religiously tolerant when they were at their height.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grevling posted:

They were also very religiously tolerant when they were at their height.

They had trouble with Jews and later Christians. Though mostly because the nature of Christianity and Judaism was so different from what was the mainstream of religion back in the day that it was near impossible to understand from a cursory look and almost looked like atheism.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

FullLeatherJacket posted:

It feels like you have to add a lot of supposition in a story about a temple we know was destroyed in an earthquake in order to come out with an answer other than that all of the people there died when a building fell on them

That or the Sea People

I'm not really saying they definitely sacrificed that kid right before/during the quake, I just like to imagine that's the case.

Why you gotta harsh my buzz

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Christians and jews outright refused to acknowledge the divinity of imperial cults. The Jews were also keen to throw the romans out of Israel, and Christians were trying to actively evangelize in the empire, pulling warm bodies and therefore money away from the imperial cults and the other temples on the pantheon that ultimately funneled cash and grain and all that poo poo back into the hands of the state.

They both threatened the welfare of the roman state and were persecuted for it.

Christians discovered the power of martyrdom and eventually wrestled control of the state away by a few lucky conversions.

this doesn't have much to do with the bronze age collapse, which was the wrath of Yahweh upon the heathen cultures of the Mediterranean.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

They had trouble with Jews and later Christians. Though mostly because the nature of Christianity and Judaism was so different from what was the mainstream of religion back in the day that it was near impossible to understand from a cursory look and almost looked like atheism.

romans didn't give a poo poo about understanding your religion, all they cared about was doing some token sacrifices to the emperor to show your loyalty. you didn't even have to believe in it, you just had to do the physical actions. i don't think its fair to say romans had a problem with jews and christians, it was jews and christians that had a problem with Rome

not that rome was 100% religiously tolerant. they suppressed the gently caress out the the drudic religion, but thats because they like to sacrifice babies so i will give them a pass.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
dp

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

My guess is that Sea People were proto-Carthaginians.

not a bad guess really. maybe phonecians

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I don't think the sea peoples belonged to one ethnicity. It's hard to say though. The Egyptians mention a group of sea people called Peleset who may be the biblical Philistines, and the Philistines seem to have something in common with people living in the Aegean at the time.

Did DP cause the bronze age collapse? Yes, says prominent archaeologists.

Grevling fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 15, 2017

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Blazing Ownager posted:

Footage of them ending the Bronze Age

seems like itd be hard on the knees

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anybody have the link to the old thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Rome liked to integrate other culture's pantheons into their own. Oh you have a storm god too? Thats cool, hes just an aspect of Zeus, so worship him whatever just pay your taxes.

Judaism (and subsequently Christianity) is big on the whole "thou shalt not have other gods before me" thing and it caused a lot of friction.

• Locked thread