Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What caused the Late Bronze Age Collapse?
goku
gently caress you
The Sea Peoples
semen
The Dorians
The Doors
:iiam:
:chaostrump:
:burgerpug:
:secsmug:
:420:
:wink:
Natural disasters
Climate change
:krust:
View Results

• Locked thread
Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Have Blue posted:

He's kinda interesting but he pulls most of his "history" from "my larp group does it this way so clearly that's how the ancients did it!"

Yeah the opinion on him in the other history threads is he basically has no idea what he is talking about half the time.

Anyways, have a dancing Maya lobster man. Also likely my 4th favorite extant piece of Maya art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

He's charismatic but unfortunately he's flippant and his hot takes are often pretty far off.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm sorry that this is NOT Bronze Age Collapse related, but this is GBS's only running history thread so I just wanted to say I just found out that Mike Duncan, host of the awesome "History of Rome" podcast just published a book:

The Storm Before The Storm

About the Marius/Sulla/Gracchi adventures in the generation(s) RIGHT before Caeser.
This is an amazingly interesting time frame filled with really cool poo poo. If you liked the podcast, you may want to look into it.
I have not gotten it so can't vouch for it, but just wanted to toss in some free pub for a good history dude.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
so what was so special about Central and South America that enabled such large and complex cultures to flourish there?

i mean up here in the Pacific Northwest we had some pretty dense population pockets thanks to stable and bounteous food supplies, but none of the temples or earthworks.

Or is it not enough to have infinite salmon if you don't have expansive agriculture to keep people rooted in place?

StudlyCaps
Oct 4, 2012
Lindybeige has a video on the holocaust that boils down to "not only Jews were killed so they should stop making a big deal and calling it the holocaust."
It comes across as pedantry rather than antisemitism but he's kind of a dickhead either way.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

just another posted:

so what was so special about Central and South America that enabled such large and complex cultures to flourish there?

i mean up here in the Pacific Northwest we had some pretty dense population pockets thanks to stable and bounteous food supplies, but none of the temples or earthworks.

Or is it not enough to have infinite salmon if you don't have expansive agriculture to keep people rooted in place?

Maybe the difference between dense pockets versus really massive population numbers. I think Central and South America had many more people so lots more time to waste building poo poo. Building materials might have made a difference. Stone versus wood.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
vulcanism. obsidian is very useful and plentiful in south and central america but not the PNW.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Obsidian is also so ridiculously sharp and if it wasn't for its extreme brittleness would make superior scalpels for surgery as they actually cut between the cells rather than mangle everything apart

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

just another posted:

This isn't intended to sound dismissive.

.Population density at the times you're comparing
.Scarcity of foodstuffs as a result, especially seasonally (did lack of scarcity drive improvements in technology)
.Population influx/trade route availability from other areas, and navigability of the area
.(this is a bad term, but) 'workability' of resources of 'impermeable' structures like the stone/bedrock exposed to them?

I'm legit not calling them out, I'm curious.
E: I'm also certain that my questions make me seem a total rube idiot, they were just my first thoughts. Sorry.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 17, 2017

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Big Beef City posted:

I'm sorry that this is NOT Bronze Age Collapse related, but this is GBS's only running history thread so I just wanted to say I just found out that Mike Duncan, host of the awesome "History of Rome" podcast just published a book:

The Storm Before The Storm

About the Marius/Sulla/Gracchi adventures in the generation(s) RIGHT before Caeser.
This is an amazingly interesting time frame filled with really cool poo poo. If you liked the podcast, you may want to look into it.
I have not gotten it so can't vouch for it, but just wanted to toss in some free pub for a good history dude.

I’ll allow it. I love history in general, particularly antiquity.

There was some intricately carved gemstone from Mycenae that was found recently. It supposedly had better perspective and skill than anything previously discovered from that period.

https://www.livescience.com/60886-battle-gemstone-found-ancient-warrior-tomb.html posted:

An intricately carved gemstone found in an ancient Greek tomb depicts a warrior standing over the body of a slain enemy, plunging his sword into another soldier's neck — all on less than an inch and a half of space.

The discovery comes from a tomb discovered in 2015 in Pylos, Greece, which contained the 3,500-year-old skeleton of a man dubbed the "Griffin Warrior." The tomb was filled with valuables, including an ivory plaque sporting a griffin, four gold signet rings, ivory combs and weapons. The new discovery — a sealstone, or carved gemstone — depicts a battle scene on a 1.4-inch (3.5 centimeters) piece of polished agate.

"Some of the details on this are only a half-millimeter big," Jack Davis, a professor of Greek archaeology at the University of Cincinnati and one of the researchers studying the tomb's more than 3,000 burial objects, said in a statement. "They're incomprehensibly small."

Detailed scene

The carved gem was encrusted in limestone and took more than a year to delicately clean, according to Davis and Sharon Stocker, another dig leader and a senior research associate in classics at the University of Cincinnati. It shows a warrior in the heat of battle in incredible detail, down to the texture of the two soldiers' hair and the muscles of their largely bare bodies.

"What is fascinating is that the representation of the human body is at a level of detail and musculature that one doesn't find again until the classical period of Greek art 1,000 years later," Davis said. "It's a spectacular find."

Many of the details require a magnifying glass, or even a microscope, to appreciate, the researchers said.

It’s pretty cool to find something like this not only from Ancient Greece but OG Ancient Greece.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
^^^ that's a loving stunning piece of jewelry

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

That Robot posted:

There was some intricately carved gemstone from Mycenae that was found recently. It supposedly had better perspective and skill than anything previously discovered from that period.

It’s pretty cool to find something like this not only from Ancient Greece but OG Ancient Greece.

:eyepop:
wow thats really good poo poo! I though those guys could only manage those geometric patterns. thats quite impressive

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Holy cow, the skill and tact that went into that.

Obviously you get into so many facets of architecture, science, art, mathematics, that were lost, refound (or weren't!), and just to see an object like that. ...My gosh, profanity doesn't do it justice.

Years of artistic training, dealing with the medium, having to sculpt something like that in such prose, in miniature, knowing that this, while, amazing thing, wasn't just done once, but done by someone who had to have been schooled amongst peers who did similar works which are no longer extant...homina homina...

You know what I mean? This wasn't just one lady or some dude churning these out, right? This took generations of schooling to get the design right and get this poo poo down, and then to find the right medium to lay it out in. Awesome.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 17, 2017

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
nthing the :eyepop: at that gemstone. Now I want a baller rear end tomb that will make archaeologists reconsider the depth and breadth of human knowledge and skill during my time period

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Have Blue posted:

nthing the :eyepop: at that gemstone. Now I want a baller rear end tomb that will make archaeologists reconsider the depth and breadth of human knowledge and skill during my time period

tombstone gonna read peperony and chease and you're gonna be grateful

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'd love to know the interpretation of the inscription, based on the line drawing, of what is happening in that scene.

"The nude warrior absorbs a shield charge, coming from an opponent coming from the higher ground and insta kills him via thrust through the lungs/heart body cavity"

Why the bulbous ends for their halberds for non-blunted weapons?
I dig that he's already killed his opponent's buddy based on their pre-tartan underpants (yes way out of date, but if the pattern is true, it's tartan underpants, kidding).

Why did an armored pike-run down a hill fail?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

the dude's pose on the left reminds me of those lovely comics where they make female characters stick their tits and asses out at weird angles

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Have Blue posted:

He's kinda interesting but he pulls most of his "history" from "my larp group does it this way so clearly that's how the ancients did it!"

I have no idea who he is. But I'm tempted to side with The LARPers on principle, since it's the LARPers and reenacters who buried the whole "people NEVER parried with the edge of the sword!" nonsense that used to be such a big-time Hot Historical Weapon Fact.

There was a lot of theorycrafting, cherrypicking from old manuals, and longwinded essays. Then people picked up swords and figured out that, no, they absolutely must have. Also swords work way better if you aren't absolutely terrified of hurting the edge and place "hurting the other person" and "not getting a sword through the gut or skull" higher on your list of priorities.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

just another posted:

There are like 30 different answers for this. Some argue that agriculture means you need more complex systems to keep track of growth seasons,land, inventory, storage, distribution, etc, which leads to administration and other stuff which is what people generally think of when they think of complexity. Others argue that "aggrandizers" wanted to show off which leads to the development of elite traded goods and monumental architecture. Others will argue its due to environmental carrying capacity factors. Still others will just say its a historical accident and that its foolish to try to point to any one or two things as the prime mover.

The joke answer is corn (this also might be the real answer).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

That Robot posted:

There's Polis Greece, and there's Wanax Greece. Which sounds more cool and badass to you??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Pretending you were actual for real buddies with the Gods was basically the Bronze Age version of "my uncle works for Nintendo".

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

With corn you can make delicious spitbooze.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
wow thats really good poo poo! I though those guys could only manage those geometric patterns. thats quite impressive

Geometric Greece was like 700 years later.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I wonder if the motif on that gem is from some kind of myth or if it's just a generic scene of war. My money is on the former. I suppose it would be too much of ask of them to just carve E-RA-KLE-WE or something on the back, stupid dang Myceneans.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this is my poo poo

e:lol ancient goatse

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 17, 2017

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Telsa Cola posted:

its actually coca

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I wish there was more popular history on Assyria that wasn’t based on work done in the 20’s and 30’s. Authors know that the Assyrians exaggerated their atrocities as a form of intimidating propaganda and yet history books are still full of pages and pages of descriptions of mutilating prisoners which while exciting, overlooks how Assyria worked as a functional society.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

overlooks how Assyria worked as a functional society.

Mmm, barley mush.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I know social history is usually seen as not very exciting, but it drives me crazy that there are hundreds of English language texts on everyday life in Rome or Medieval England but every other civilization might get a quick blurb on their staple food and mention that peasants were poor.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

I know social history is usually seen as not very exciting, but it drives me crazy that there are hundreds of English language texts on everyday life in Rome or Medieval England but every other civilization might get a quick blurb on their staple food and mention that peasants were poor.

might have something to do with ancient rome being part of english history. if you want to do serious history about other cultures you are going to have to learn another language. heck if you want to learn any serious European history you will need another language.

history professors are almost 100% bilingual

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Milo and POTUS posted:

i'm still hoping against hope that there are still extant flores island hobbits existing somewhere in the region but really i know there arent :(

I hope not. Look how lovely we treat our fellow man, and then imagine what we'd do to someone literally not human. :(

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

StudlyCaps posted:

Lindybeige has a video on the holocaust that boils down to "not only Jews were killed so they should stop making a big deal and calling it the holocaust."
It comes across as pedantry rather than antisemitism but he's kind of a dickhead either way.

Jesus. I've only seen his videos on ancient weapons. Anything I've ever seen from him he clearly says this is what "might" have happened.

I don't know. I like the guy. Although I know now not to watch his holocaust video.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Somebody tell me more of the indus valley civilization! I demand it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rutibex posted:

might have something to do with ancient rome being part of english history. if you want to do serious history about other cultures you are going to have to learn another language. heck if you want to learn any serious European history you will need another language.

history professors are almost 100% bilingual

I'm reminded of Tolkien, that dude knew a zillion languages including a few he made up.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Wow...Imagine it...An entire age - of bronze!

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

didnt read the thread but voted all options, thanks op

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

OMFG FURRY posted:

its actually coca
Probably. Also llamas? I don't think the PNW had any real pack animals to speak of with much less hospitable terrain to pre-iron civilizations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Wow...Imagine it...An entire age - of bronze!

They still had fart jokes, just like you and me.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Probably. Also llamas? I don't think the PNW had any real pack animals to speak of with much less hospitable terrain to pre-iron civilizations.

Llamas are only really an Inca area thing though, everyone else in Mesoamerica and such did fine with out them. And terrain is not really as big as in issue as you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Maybe the difference between dense pockets versus really massive population numbers. I think Central and South America had many more people so lots more time to waste building poo poo. Building materials might have made a difference. Stone versus wood.

If the Cahokia culture had built with stone instead of wood we'd have the equivalent of ruined Mayan cities in southern Illinois.

• Locked thread