Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What caused the Late Bronze Age Collapse?
goku
gently caress you
The Sea Peoples
semen
The Dorians
The Doors
:iiam:
:chaostrump:
:burgerpug:
:secsmug:
:420:
:wink:
Natural disasters
Climate change
:krust:
View Results

• Locked thread
naem
May 29, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

So basically, bronze requires more materials and thus is more expensive to make, but easier to work with at the start, while iron is harder to use but incredibly useful once you figure out how?

Yes exactly. Bronze also doesn't rust and can be reused; its not as strong as steel but after a battle you can pick up the broken pieces of damaged gear and melt it down and pour into a mold for more swords etc

Iron is like everywhere though and once people were forced (from lack of tin to make bronze with) to try to make crude steel (iron is soft and alloying/hardening it takes crazy high temperatures) they realized EVERYONE could have metal tools/weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Randaconda posted:

Does anybody have the link to the old thread?

I think this is it https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741026

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

It was dorians

Duh

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

naem posted:

Here is a really good hour long video about possible causes of the Bronze Age collapse on YouTube if anyone's interested, he talks a lot about the interconnected economy of the whole region being necessary to finance Bronze production and how fragile the whole thing was

https://youtu.be/bRcu-ysocX4

Pretty cool way to while away a lazy Sunday

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Eric Cline is cool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

naem posted:

Yes exactly. Bronze also doesn't rust and can be reused; its not as strong as steel but after a battle you can pick up the broken pieces of damaged gear and melt it down and pour into a mold for more swords etc

Iron is like everywhere though and once people were forced (from lack of tin to make bronze with) to try to make crude steel (iron is soft and alloying/hardening it takes crazy high temperatures) they realized EVERYONE could have metal tools/weapons

A more recent thing could be aluminium; it used to literally be more valuable than gold, and so hard to get it was actually obscure (and possibly the inspiration for Tolkein's Mithril). Then suddenly they discovered they could process it from bauxite, and it became used for everything, especially cheap disposable/recyclable containers.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Pththya-lyi posted:

I'm not really saying they definitely sacrificed that kid right before/during the quake, I just like to imagine that's the case.

Why you gotta harsh my buzz

tbf mostly I just enjoyed the mental image of a gaggle of archaeologists digging up a guy with massive crush injuries and immediately deciding that temple of doom was a documentary

if I spend 100k learning to dig up pottery you better believe that everything I find is going to be from a death cult

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
they ran out of bronze

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Sea Peoples were the original deus ex machina.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I sat on it. Sorry.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

what did the romans ever do for us

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

poverty goat posted:

Invented some funny looking numbers

naem
May 29, 2011

poverty goat posted:

stabbing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbf mostly I just enjoyed the mental image of a gaggle of archaeologists digging up a guy with massive crush injuries and immediately deciding that temple of doom was a documentary

if I spend 100k learning to dig up pottery you better believe that everything I find is going to be from a death cult

Archaeologists are so prone to this there's frequent jokes in sci-fi and post-apocalyptic settings of future people assuming Mickey Mouse and Goofy were animal-headed gods.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Senor Dog posted:

The worship of Inanna/Ishtar, which was prevalent in Mesopotamia could involve wild, frenzied dancing and bloody ritual celebrations of social and physical abnormality. It was believed that "nothing is prohibited to Inanna", and that by depicting transgressions of normal human social and physical limitations, including traditional gender definition, one could cross over from the "conscious everyday world into the trance world of spiritual ecstasy."

Yeah Inanna/Ishtar rules. She’s one of my favorite mythological entities because she doesn’t give a gently caress and parties all the time.

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday

Randaconda posted:

The book by the same title is really good.

Seconded

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

poverty goat posted:

They produced ancient shitposters, like Catullus, a famous Roman poet, who really knew how to lay it on thick, as shown below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catullus_16 posted:

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo ("I will sodomize you and face-gently caress you") is the first line, sometimes used as a title, of Carmen 16 in the collected poems of Gaius Valerius Catullus (c. 84 BC – c. 54 BC). The poem, written in a hendecasyllabic (11-syllable) meter, was considered so explicit that a full English translation was not published until the late twentieth century. The first line has been called "one of the filthiest expressions ever written in Latin—or in any other language, for that matter."

Line Latin text English translation
1 Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo, I will sodomize you and face-gently caress you,
2 Aureli pathice et cinaede Furi, bottom Aurelius and catamite Furius,
3 qui me ex versiculis meis putastis, you who think, because my poems
4 quod sunt molliculi, parum pudicum. are sensitive, that I have no shame.
5 Nam castum esse decet pium poetam For it's proper for a devoted poet to be moral
6 ipsum, versiculos nihil necesse est; himself, [but] in no way is it necessary for his poems.
7 qui tum denique habent salem ac leporem, In point of fact, these have wit and charm,
8 si sunt molliculi ac parum pudici if they are sensitive and a little shameless,
9 et quod pruriat incitare possunt, and can arouse an itch,
10 non dico pueris, sed his pilosis and I don't mean in boys, but in those hairy old men
11 qui duros nequeunt movere lumbos. who can't get it up.
12 Vos, quod milia multa basiorum Because you've read my countless kisses,
13 legistis, male me marem putatis? you think less of me as a man?
14 Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. I will sodomize you and face-gently caress you.

Micaela Wakil Janan offers the following modern English prose translation of the poem:

quote:

gently caress you, boys, up the butt and in the mouth, you queer Aurelius and you fag Furius! You size me up, on the basis of my poems, because they're a little sexy, as not really decent. A poet has to live clean – but not his poems. They only have spice and charm, if somewhat sexy and really not for children – if, in fact, they cause body talk (I'm not talking in teenagers, but in hairy old men who can barely move their stiff bums). But you, because you happen to read about "many thousands of kisses," you think I'm not a man? gently caress you, boys, up the butt and in the mouth!

Emphasis mine. I think it's still pretty funny even to this day.

I do hope there's a bunch of archives of documents from the Bronze Age that just haven't been found yet, filled with cultural information or at least more literature of some sort.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

That Robot posted:

Yeah Inanna/Ishtar rules. She’s one of my favorite mythological entities because she doesn’t give a gently caress and parties all the time.

It's entirely unsurprising that typically non-spiritual people are easily enticed by hedonistic cults

naem
May 29, 2011

swards

https://youtu.be/8VApzdlG4wo

https://youtu.be/ngjMtzJ6xgQ

https://youtu.be/ym7pSgT_Reg

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

That Robot posted:

They produced ancient shitposters, like Catullus, a famous Roman poet, who really knew how to lay it on thick, as shown below:

Emphasis mine. I think it's still pretty funny even to this day.
[/quote]

An inspiration. We studied him in troll school

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone know more details about the mysterious sea peoples that killed all the bronzeys off?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
They probably smelled salty

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Johnny Aztec posted:

They probably smelled salty

Sea men usually do

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Were Aztecs and Mayans a bronze age civilization?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hihohe posted:

Were Aztecs and Mayans a bronze age civilization?

no, the Mayans were around about the same time as the Roman Empire. well into the iron age in europe.

the maya had some primative metal working, gold/silver/copper. stuff that is easily worked, but mostly for jewelry not weapons/tools

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Here's something i've often wondered about polytheistic religions:

Were all of the different temples dedicated to a specific god part of the same system? Like if I go to a city and there's a temple to Ishtar, and then I go to another city and there's another temple to Ishtar, are these two temples connected? Do they communicate, send letters to each other? If you're a priest in one temple, can you get transferred to another?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This is an awesome subject and it amazes me of the extent of some goons' knowledge. I played Age of Empires when it came out. :shrug:

GBS: Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Rutibex posted:

no, the Mayans were around about the same time as the Roman Empire. well into the iron age in europe.

the maya had some primative metal working, gold/silver/copper. stuff that is easily worked, but mostly for jewelry not weapons/tools

yeah, preclassic, classic and postclassic mayans lasted thousands of years starting around 2000BC, hitting high gear around the fall of Rome, and lasting well into medieval times. the aztecs were contemporaries of the renaissance, which is weird to think about.

the thing about the mesoamerican states is that its hard to tell where one ended and another began, in a timescale sense. olmec, zapotec, mayan, toltec, aztec, etc. they all have rough beginning and ending estimates, but the only one that has a clean break of a beginning is the aztecs.

Blue Raider fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 17, 2017

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Blue Star posted:

Were all of the different temples dedicated to a specific god part of the same system? Like if I go to a city and there's a temple to Ishtar, and then I go to another city and there's another temple to Ishtar, are these two temples connected? Do they communicate, send letters to each other? If you're a priest in one temple, can you get transferred to another?

Pretty sure religions were only loosely centralized. Local cults might kick up some tithe money to a main chapter, but I think it was pretty disparate overall. That's why you get, for instance, Ishtar/Astarte/Ashtaroth. Goons feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Blue Star posted:

Depends wildly on the religion, and where you are, I imagine. The state religion in Rome, for example, might be centralised under a Chief Priest, who in some cases is the Emperor himself, and have some measure of centralisation as part of the government. Something similar would probably apply for the Caliphate later. And of course, plenty of places where the king is also considered a god, and is thus on top of the religious heirarchy, though how much they are personally involved in it may vary.

Temples that worship the same god or practices might at least in theory be in touch, and if a temple is in need of a new priest then they might send a messenger to ask and an acolyte might travel to set up shop there, at the very least. Although there might be as much rivalry or conflict over different practices and interpretations. (as there is ever)

Should be noted that with polytheistic religions, you'd often have different levels of participation; people visiting to pray and offer sacrifices for things under the god's domain; whether a sacrifice to Mercury for safe travel, to Neptune for a safe and swift voyage, and so on; and then the inner cult for worshippers dedicated to that particular god and temple, which ranges from outright cults to something resembling a fraternity. (Which I'm pretty sure take at least superficial inspiration from mystery cults, hence being 'Greeks')

I'm not sure if the Catholic church has any precedent for being an explicit religious organisation that crosses national boundaries with its own hierarchy and management.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I love threads like this. I feel one of the best ways to understand history is to try and get a feel for what it was like to live in that day and age, how things were different (or similar) to modern life and what views on the world might have been like.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

The seas people were ancient imperial koreans raiding everyone else.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

thakns anime man

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The thing to remember about these earlier cults, like in Mesopotamian cities and mainstream Greek and Roman religion, is that most worship was done collectively by offering prayers and sacrifices on behalf of the whole city. It was communal religion in a way that's almost gone now. The idea was to keep the gods satisfied so bad things didn't happen, it was like a mix between paying for insurance and a protection racket. If you look at how much ancient Athens spent on religion each year you get a sense of how important it was. I don't have the figure on me now though.

People also had their own household gods and superstitions, but even then they would often ask them to protect the family rather than the individual. Later on you'd get cults that were more focused on the individual's personal development and deliverance, Christianity being one of them.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

could i successfully be an apathetic alcoholic in the bronze age? were there bars? if so what time did they close?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Inescapable Duck posted:

The state religion in Rome, for example, might be centralised under a Chief Priest, who in some cases is the Emperor himself, and have some measure of centralisation as part of the government.

Pope's also the oldest extant elected official, according to oral tradition, the position of Pontifex Maximus was voted upon even back in "prehistoric" times.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

FuhrerHat posted:

could i successfully be an apathetic alcoholic in the bronze age? were there bars? if so what time did they close?

in this very thread theres a post about carthage selling counterfeit greek wine

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded of my (drunken, obviously) idea about Grog, the Prehistoric Alcoholic, the world's first caveman wino.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Bacontotem posted:

The seas people were ancient imperial koreans raiding everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm reminded of my (drunken, obviously) idea about Grog, the Prehistoric Alcoholic, the world's first caveman wino.

He and his buddy Magrog had many adventures.

• Locked thread