Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What caused the Late Bronze Age Collapse?
goku
gently caress you
The Sea Peoples
semen
The Dorians
The Doors
:iiam:
:chaostrump:
:burgerpug:
:secsmug:
:420:
:wink:
Natural disasters
Climate change
:krust:
View Results

• Locked thread
SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Inescapable Duck posted:

Obsidian's main use by Mesoamerican civilisations was for blades, since it gets insanely sharp, and even then for weapons they slotted obsidian blades into wooden frames. (which would also serve as clubs for when you didn't want to kill people and instead take them captive for ritual sacrifice)

It's different circumstances and opportunities; not enough good iron and not enough pressure to develop it, and isolation from civilisations that did. Similar reason native Australians never developed much technology; hard to when you don't have any of the reliable crops or livestock the rest of the world took for granted.

Didn/t they develop sophisticated maps like the polineasians did

tech isn't always lazers and mettalurgy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
did they release the translation of the words in the op I want to know what this supposedly says

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
fossils were real animals at one point and we always knew this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Randaconda posted:

I wish at least a few of the North American megafauna had survived.

I wonder is somebody accidentally left the gate open, would giraffes and elephants walk out of zoos and be able to survive in the south? As long as nobody shot them of c.

Everything's bigger in Texas so why not?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

naem posted:

Since bronze doesn't rust we have this wealth of amazing material culture to study from this era (and lots of curiosity as a result) but very few solid facts. We still have to guess about things to this day.

These are 3000 year old swords from China as sharp as the day they were made-

how were these made, seriously. They're beautiful.

I want to melt down my beer cans and steal scrap copper and make this how do I do it

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Blue Star posted:

Someone earlier mentioned giant snakes. There actually were giant snakes and lizards in prehistoric times, like the titanoboa and megalania. Also terrestrial crocodiles in Australia. They were all too ancient to coexist with Neolithic or Bronze Age humans, but man, just think if they did. That scene in Conan the Barbarian where they steal the jewel from the temple could have really happened.

There were actually mammoths in Siberia up until historical times, too.

It's gonna suck poo poo in a couple years when people are saying this about tigers and bears and moose

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Speleothing posted:

I just spent my afternoon reading about the neolothic. Apparently in Jerico, the oldest still-occupied city on the planet, they would cut the head off important people after they died, cover it in clay to resemble him or her, and mount it on the wall of the house to give advice.

Holy gently caress do this to me so I can still shitpost in GBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Both the metalworking and elephants are badass

• Locked thread